R7000 2.4 GHz Client Bridge and 5 Ghz for AP help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 13:43    Post subject: R7000 2.4 GHz Client Bridge and 5 Ghz for AP help needed Reply with quote
As in the subject.
I have a Netgear R7000 in Client Bridge mode working very well using LAN with Ethernet ports.

I'm having trouble getting the 5 GHz wifi to act as an AP to to connect to the bridge. Ethernet works flawless.
I've searched the forums for tips.
I haven't tried WDS as that part is new to me.

Also when trying to simply connect to the 5g AP using different encryption keys, I get an error cannot connect on the devices I try to connect with. Confusing!
When not in CB mode both radios will let me use connect to the AP's

Any tips to bridge the 5g AP in the router to the 2.4g client bridge would be cool. Currently I have another DD-WRT R7000 on the bridge with LAN cable as 2.4/5g AP's.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you use the settings for your 5GHz radio in the sticky at the top of this forum?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

You don't have to "bridge" anything to use the 5GHz as an AP.

Also, we have zero idea what build revision number you are using on your R7000.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 16:11    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote
Yes I figured I should state the version.
DD-WRT v3.0-r45229 std (01/01/21).
This is what I flashed last night after running the initial flash from stock for months.

I kind of expected I wouldn't have to "Bridge anything" to get the 5 Ghz radio to run as an access point off of the 2.4 GHz clinet bridge.

Will definitely read your link and try a step-by step.
Bear with me. I expected some sort of hidden networking setting in the GUI that would link the CB to AP much as the CB links to the LAN ports.
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 23:46    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote
Looks like the newest firmware I installed is working.
5 Ghz as an AP is now working with 2.4 GHz for my CB.

Many times with the version I was using flashed from stock I always got CB working as usual. But 5 Ghz AP would not play nice.

I performed a hard reset on the version in my previous post and started from scratch. This time I did not have to join my 2.4 network to get connected and 5 Ghz just works. That was easy.

My 5 gig signal is a bit weak to use as a CB even with directional antennas at both ends. 2.4 gigs is strong.
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 15:13    Post subject: Lost 2.4 Radio on R7000 Reply with quote
After my Client Bridge was working perfect for a year It suddenly quit.
The 5 GHz AP on the r7000 suddenly started working. A few days later the 2.4 GHz Client bridge quit.

What firmware are you guys running that gives good Client Bridge and/or WDS performance?

When the bridge stopped I reset the station and client with a 30/30/30 and started over.
Couldn't get the bridge to connect. Both AP and Bridge show in wifi survey, joining did no good.

My first ever WDS try using a Cisco E2000 with flash from factory fw is sends a good signal to the R7000.
The E2000 is base and the R7000 is client.

The R7000 was not sending a radio signal until I did a 30/30/30 & changed the 2.4 radio to a unique SSID different from stock DD-WRT SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.

OK. I've been reading posts. The only thing strange is the WDS AP stopped transmitting.
Both my cell phone wifi and base show no signal at all.

The E2000 has stable radio signal. Any suggestions for stable firmware for the R7000 would be helpful.
The darned Client Bridge worked great for so long.
Hmmmm!
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:19    Post subject: Working now. Can we post a sticky? Reply with quote
Flashed back to DD-WRT v3.0-r41418 std (10/30/19).
Had a stable client bridge for a long time. No resets needed.
The AP was a Netgear R6020. Switched to a Cisco E2000 flashed with DD-WRT. Because if one DD-WRT is good two must be better.
Flaky performance with -44 signal, -92 noise.
4 days of obsessing and trying different builds...and.
Peacock, buzzard, vultures. Read until I was blind.
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24    Post subject: Sticky Request part 2 Reply with quote
Lots of R7000 users here. 432 views as of now
Can we get a definitive R7000 "What works, what doesn't" please? Maybe a what never will?
If WDS will not ever work on these chipsets could that tab be removed? It took a little reading until I stopped banging my head.
All in all just a stock firmware on the AP and DD-WRT on my client works well with a speedtest of 95MBPS on a 100MBPS Modem>RT-AC68P>E2000. 100 yards to the R7000.
And that's using 2.4G!
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client bridge and repeater bridge aren't stable, many references all over the forums. I spent days trying to get a stable setup and I gave up. I use Fresh tomato ARM for such setup now.
ArloG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
nolimitz wrote:
Client bridge and repeater bridge aren't stable, many references all over the forums. I spent days trying to get a stable setup and I gave up. I use Fresh tomato ARM for such setup now.

3 days and stable now. I have setup quite a few bridges for myself and others and it's always been straight forward. But only using an AP with OEM firmware.
With the version I'm using on the R7000 I get the best 2.4G speed I ever did. I was thinking 20MBPS was the best to expect. Now it's over 4 times faster.
"ALWAYS use WDS instead of bridge mode" led me to put DD-WRT on my AP. Then I saw that Broadcom and WDS don't play good together. But it's there in the firmware tab.
So, all is good.....for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: