[SOLVED] Poor Internet speed - Netgear R7000 flashed DD-WRT

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTF+FA are disabled unless the WAN is set to either DHCP or static. So if your WAN is set PPPoE then FA will not appear. Is PPPoE required for your ISP?

PPPoE also forces your maximum packet size to be below 1500. That can cause MTU path discovery issues if you are going through a path on the Internet that is blocking certain ICMP types. In short, it can damage throughput.

It is interesting you report that your wifi speeds are higher with CTF. That is sort of what I suspected might be the case but I have not run testing yet on that.
Sponsor
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I've been quite busy yesterday and had no time to look into it anymore. I'll try out the suggestions today and get back with the outcome.

Thanks!
Radu
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again guys,

So to sum up: I've tried out all the available channels and I've also been tweaking the options you talked about. For some weird reasons the throughput is better when keeping the values closer to default and the two best channels in my case are 52 and 60. The regulatory domain has a great impact.. but for the worse. Changing to Canada I've dropped to 100 Mbps.

Anyway, the max I'm able to get is 520-530 Mbps now (on 5Ggz of course).

If there is anything (magical) else do let me know please. If not, well, I guess that this is the max I'm gonna get with dd-wrt.

Thanks again!
Radu
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
CTF+FA are disabled unless the WAN is set to either DHCP or static. So if your WAN is set PPPoE then FA will not appear. Is PPPoE required for your ISP?

PPPoE also forces your maximum packet size to be below 1500. That can cause MTU path discovery issues if you are going through a path on the Internet that is blocking certain ICMP types. In short, it can damage throughput.

It is interesting you report that your wifi speeds are higher with CTF. That is sort of what I suspected might be the case but I have not run testing yet on that.

Hello tedm,

Indeed, PPPoE is required by the ISP. I was able to see the FA option when switching to DHCP but then I'm left with no Internet unfortunately.

Cheers!
Radu
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again everyone,

This thread can be closed as solved from my point of view. (I'm not sure if/how can I close it myself).

The initial concern was about the Wi-Fi speed and I was aiming to get >600 Mbps as I thought that was what I got when using the stock firmware. I had that retested and I was wrong. I'm getting the same thing as I did before.

I was thinking about something having to do with the traffic but that was something different so yeah.. there you go. Silly mistake.

Either way now I'm using a wired connection so naturally I'm getting over 900 Mbps which is more that I will ever need. I managed to get the house walls cabled so I'm pretty happy with that.

Just to sum up the greatest difference once I switched over to DD-WRT was the CTF usage. Other than than I played around with the wireless basic settings (mostly channels).

In terms of wlan advanced settings I'm pretty much using the defaults. The "Best settings" Wiki made it worse for me. But regardless now I'm pretty much getting the optimum performance.

Just one last question before this gets closed: how often should I upgrade the build? New updates come out quite often. Right now I'm on r46949 as I haven't updated since the last time.

Once again many thanks to everyone involved in helping me out. It isn't fun being new and unknowledgeable with something but.. I guess I now know more than I knew a month ago Smile

Now I have other questions about VPNs and telling which client should or should not get through the VPN but of course I'll open another thread for that.

Thanks again and cheers everyone!
Radu
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
About the VPN indeed open a new thread, what you probably want is Policy Based Routing (PBR) links in my signature.

How often you should upgrade is not an easy question to answer, of course you do not need every new build which comes out, often there are minor updates but sometimes necessary security updates.

Usually that is announced in the build threads.

So just keep an eye on the build threads a thing you must always do before you update to see if there are any show stoppers for your particular router.

I administer routers for friends/family and sometimes I only update those once a year but as said more often if there are security updates.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going to lock and leave this thread for posterity purposes.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: