R9000 - SFP Compatibility with a CISCO Managed Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 22:06    Post subject: R9000 - SFP Compatibility with a CISCO Managed Switch Reply with quote
So, I'm trying to figure out if I have the wrong transceivers and or "why" I'm unable to hook up the SFP port of the Netgear NightHawk R9000 to my Cisco SG500-28P Managed Switch. I don't get a link light or anything.

I figured a straight up copper SFP would work between the 2, and I don't know if it's something in DD-WRT configuration settings wise, or if it's incompatibility with the actual modules. I was trying to use a Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M which is DAC and pre-terminated.

I saw this guide here --> Netgear R9000 Compatibility

Does anyone have any experience here or point me in the right direction of how to get this to work? Basically I'm just trying to get the R9000 to provide WAN access through the RFP port, and use the CISCO Switch to plug in everything else, including my LAGs / LACPs to other switches and devices in my house. But i'm not even getting a link light. I have 3 of these cables sitting around, and none of them work, so I'm not sure the problem.

Guidance is welcome. Thanks!
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently using a 10Gtek ASF-10G-T gbic from a 9000 SFP to a Cisco RV340 LAN port as a double natted setup for Dual WAN failover duty. WAN port on the 9000 is SFP eth0.

The other 9000 uses a pair of Cable Matters 10GB SR SFP modules connected to a 10GB Netgear switch.

I kept having intermittent port failures using direct SFP cables until I went the fiber route.
YMMV

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
I'm currently using a 10Gtek ASF-10G-T gbic from a 9000 SFP to a Cisco RV340 LAN port as a double natted setup for Dual WAN failover duty. WAN port on the 9000 is SFP eth0.

The other 9000 uses a pair of Cable Matters 10GB SR SFP modules connected to a 10GB Netgear switch.

I kept having intermittent port failures using direct SFP cables until I went the fiber route.
YMMV

Thanks, I think I'm going to try Cisco SFP-10G-SR transceivers which are listed on the Netgear site.... I wish I could find out if it's also compatible with my CISCO model. I can't seem to find any relative info on compatibility for the SFP port.

Edit: Ah-HAAA.. just found the Cisco compatibility PDF.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-500-series-stackable-managed-switches/at_a_glance_c45-726838.pdf

It seems my choice will work the CISCO SFP-10G-SR.... at least compatibility wise. Gonna give it a shot.
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:

YMMV

Ok... so maybe I'm thinking about this entirely wrong, because I can't seem to get this to work to save my life. I've got 6 of these Cisco SFP-10G-SR modules now, and i've tested all 6 as well as the 4 SFP ports in my Cisco SG500-28P Switch.

When I plug a module into the back of the Netgear R9000, I can see the left red laser on. And when I do the same on the SG500, I see the same thing. I'm using OM3 LC to LC fiber patch cable. Very small length (1M).

Cable Modem attaches to the WAN port of the R9000, The SFP Port Connects to the SFP port on the SG500 via the OM3 fiber, and several devices connect to the SG500 via ethernet cables.

The SG500 can be configured in L2 or L3 Modes. I've got it set at L2 with 4 queues (8 is also an option)

The SG500 can also be set to a stack mode of "Standalone", "Native Stacking", "Hybrid Stacking", or "Advanced Hybrid Stacking."

In the R9000 the standard bridging exists (i.e. I haven't modified it to do anything special) - br0 is set with STP=no and interfaces to: eth0 vlan1 wlan0 wlan1

eth0 is set with a TX Queue Length of 1000
Multicast to Unicast is set to Disable
and Bridge Assignment is set to Default

Do I HAVE to unbridge the SFP? I don't need it to be on a separate LAN, I'm just trying to get the WAN connection active on the switch through the FIBER.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Cisco SFP-10G-SR is a 10GB ONLY device. You need the Cisco SFP-10G-SR-X modules for multi rate duty as the 500G is a Gb switch. A different version of the 500G has provisions for 10GB.

My switch connection is 10Gb to 10Gb so it's a non issue.
The R9000 SFP to the RV340 is a multi rate and works fine.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
The Cisco SFP-10G-SR is a 10GB ONLY device. You need the Cisco SFP-10G-SR-X modules for multi rate duty as the 500G is a Gb switch. A different version of the 500G has provisions for 10GB.

Are you certain? The SFP ports (ports 27 and 2Cool are actually 5G capable, says so right on the ports themselves. Additionally just for fun, I plugged both SFP-10G-SR modules into the switch and connected them and instantly got a link light, I also tried port 28 to port 26 which 26 is a combo port and only 1GB, and still got a light.

However, trying to connect it to the R9000 nets no link light whatsoever. I even reverted it back to default stock firmware to see if it was something in DD-WRT preventing it. No dice.

5GB is what I’m trying to achieve. Could it be I need a different module for the net gear? Use the SFP-10G-SR in the Cisco and something else in the R9000. I’m stumped…

See picture showing the link lights.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
The port in the R9000 is not SFP, but SFP+.
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:

Well... I installed the SFP-10G-SR-X modules in both the Netgear and the Cisco and.....

No Link Light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: