how to save default settings in the wrt firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
warfighter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:44    Post subject: how to save default settings in the wrt firmware? Reply with quote
I would like to know if it is possible to save default settings for when the router has to be reset it returns the settings that were pre-defined by the standard firmware ?

without using build or linux

just using the wrt firmware command

it's possible ?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.

The general forum is not for asking help see the stickies (first threads in that forum i.e:
" STOP!-READ FIRST: This area is NOT for router help! READ!"

Also very helpful are the forum guide lines (the first post in that forum):
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327395

Among other things always state router model and build number.

I will transfer this to the Advanced networking forum as I do not know what router you have.

You can reset to default by pressing the reset switch on your router for aprox. 10 seconds while the router is running, the GUI has the option Administration/Factory Defaults and from CLI:
Code:
nvram erase && reboot

If you want to backup your current settings that can be done via Administration/Backup

Note: you can only restore to the same build number, never restore to a different build number!

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
warfighter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to create a default configuration that will not be erased from the router even though I reset

a configuration that remains fixed on the router even when someone tries to reset that configuration will always be restored as it was done

it is possible ?

Model: tp-link wr849n, tp-link wr840n, tp-link wr720n
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure you can overwrite the files already present on the router; and not sure I want to know why you'd want to.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
warfighter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
want to use the firmware of the wrt more with fixed settings

against reset

I want the firmware to become something that cannot be reset and when reset it stays with what was defined

this is possible in the firmware of the wrt?
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would be surprised if there was a software/firmware solution to your question. It would be very risky to disable the reset button functionality. How would you ever recover from an error?

If you are wanting to secure the router, know that it is very difficult if people still have physical access to the hardware. Your best bet is to put the router in a secure & locked location.

If that is impossible, perhaps you could physically disable the reset button by removing (or breaking) it (I take no responsibility for this suggestion), epoxying over the access hole, or just covering the hole with black tape.

[Edit to add...] Or you could build and load your own firmware version with the default settings that you prefer hardcoded.

Good luck.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
You want to set default settings, so if you reset then it comes back with all your correct setting.... that would be nice!! But only way i can see that is either Pay BS to make you a build or maybe learn to compile it yourself, maybe that way you could but from what i've read its not easy and only handful of people can compile it!
Or easy way, take a settings back up and just restore if ever required.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
warfighter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I looked at in the construction of the firmware there is the simple mode and the advanced mode that would be creating directly from the source

In the simple build mode can I create my own settings?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
fozz111 you can probably create a script with all your nvram values to commit them to the nvram, than place it on jffs (usb) and there you'd need a BS to add a future to look for those on/after reset Razz basically that's the save file like, as it contains those settings, but than again if BS changes some memory locations and ect. than you are in trouble...so we stick to the good old txt editor copy/paste Razz and happy days...and yep on some units of mine it takes a fair amount of time to set it forget it Razz ...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: