LAN USB being disabled if Internet is disconnected

Goto page 1, 2  Next
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04    Post subject: LAN USB being disabled if Internet is disconnected Reply with quote

The image has my setup. Whenever the box from my ISP looses power, or the internet shuts off, I loose all LAN control. For example, I was not able to control my sonoff basic r2 smart switch using LAN (which sonoff supports in the app). Adding to that, I was not able to access my HDD's connected to the USB ports of the R7000 through my PC (ref Img) when Internet was cut-off.

If I was watching a video from the HDD's connected to R7000 when the internet cut-off, the video keeps playing, no issues. The issue only comes up when I try to open a file on the HDD when the internet was cut. I should be able to access everything even without internet if everything is local.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Do i need to change some settings on R7000? or something needs to be changed on the ddwrt repeater I'm using? Please help.

Thanks
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know where to move this to, but it does not belong in the General forum, whatsoever, because the General forum is not for router help (read the forum rules and guidelines, stickies and announcements, please!). I've moved this to Advanced Networking for now...

I will say this: You should likely upgrade your firmware if that 2014 version is what you are running on both of them... mainly due to security patches and changes that may fix this issue Cool

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/05-16-2021-r46681/

For your R7000, if you have any vlans or special setups, though, unless you want to muddle through reconfiguring using swconfig, you will likely want to use r46446:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/04-24-2021-r46446/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume the R7000 is NOT using dd-wrt. And all the TP-Link dd-wrt router appears to be doing is acting as a wireless ethernet bridge back to the R7000. Based on that, the problem seems to be w/ the R7000, NOT the dd-wrt router. Not unless you're telling us that *only* the PC behind that dd-wrt router loses access to the rest of the network, but every other client (wired or wireless) of the R7000 continues to function normally.

Frankly, I can't tell from that diagram if the R7000 is connected WAN to LAN wrt the ISP (modem?, modem+router?), or LAN to LAN, making the ISP's router the primary. You need to be more precise.

FWIW, I have seen routers in the past that do NOT allow any traffic at all, even local, when the internet connection is lost. I can think of one in particular w/ Linksys. But it's fairly unusual, and down right stupid of the manufacturer to exhibit this behavior. If this is what's happening in this case, there's nothing anyone here can do to solve it short of recommending you use a different ISP modem+router (if indeed that's your primary router).

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
@eibgrad
R7000 is NOT using dd-wrt. Yes, I am using the TP-Link router just to extend the internet from R7000. Every device does not seem to lose access, I can still access my network drives just fine via my phone.

My ISP has a 'distribution box' (their words) down my street in a lockbox hung on an electric pole, from which a single cable comes in, directly to my R7000 WAN port. Whenever that box loses power, I lose Internet, lose access to my network drives.

I tried changing my router's wan settings from static IP (which my ISP gives me), to 'obtain dynamically' to manually simulate an internet outage, I can still access the drives in this config even though Internet access is not present.
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69
I upgraded my router
//
Router ModelTP-Link TL-WR841ND v8
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r46681 std (05/16/21)
//
Hope this solves the issue.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume your R7000 is running the latest stock firmware: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000.aspx#download

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Netgear / Foxconn issue in the stock firmware, Foxconn is known to have some pretty ridiculous things in their code in the past... also, 46690 was posted yesterday.

----------------------
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did update to 46690. Seems to have fixed the issue. Will test a few more times before concluding. I am running V1.0.11.122_10.2.100 (their latest) on R7000
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any reason as to why WOL was replaced with Sysctl in 46690? Was WOL completely removed? If not, where is it moved, I can't seem to find it
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still see it on all of mine on 46690:

----------------------
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just updated to 46716, still missing WOL
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
4MB flash device. I'm thinking it was a choice between one or the other due to flash size contraints. I would have to check my TL-WR940N v3 next time I am on location where it is.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR841ND_v8.x

----------------------
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any way around it? Really need my pc to turn on on lan.
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
4MB flash device. I'm thinking it was a choice between one or the other due to flash size contraints. I would have to check my TL-WR940N v3 next time I am on location where it is.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR841ND_v8.x

Just updated to r46733, still no WOL... Kind of losing hope here
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this device connected client bridged? If so, you could try setting up WOL on the R7000, if stock firmware has it. I don't think you're going to see WOL on a 4MB device. Sad

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: