MAC address randomization article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 13:24    Post subject: MAC address randomization article Reply with quote
Found this article interesting and thought others may as well.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/18/wifi_tracking_failures/
Sponsor
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting, thanks!

I confirm that Windows 10 supports MAC Randomization as a "Use random hardware address" on/off toggle on two of four PCs that I just checked, apparently depending on wifi hardware (beginning with Intel Wireless AC 8265 in my case, although that's WPA2-only). The default is always off. It can be changed globally for all new SSIDs, and/or locally per SSID. Global allows just on/off, while per network allows daily/on/off.

Per the Article, Android 10 supports it by default, but I don't have any Android 10 at the moment. Android 9 is said to support per-network MAC randomization as an option. I tried enabling it on an Android 9 device to compare with Apple iOS 14.5.1, but couldn't find it in Developer Options. I presume that's due to wifi hardware too. Here's more info about Android implementations:

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac randomyzing will occupy the free IPs due to the long lease time e.g. 14 days to be released. Try setting the lease time to 60 minutes and expanding the DHCP range, e.g. from .50 -.254
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: