Why can inSSIDer only detect 1/2 SSIDs? (and other oddities)

darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:03    Post subject: Why can inSSIDer only detect 1/2 SSIDs? (and other oddities) Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure if this issue is related to my specific router model or not, since I don't yet know the reason(s) for what's going on.

I recently installed dd-wrt successfully, and I've been trying to analyze the performance/stability of the network.

I have the router set up so that each band is has a different SSID and password, and I'm experiencing this very strange phenomenon: inSSIDer is only detecting one of these networks at a time, even though both are clearly active. My laptop's wireless network card can "see" both networks. In other words, when I click the wi-fi symbol in the system tray, the wi-fi list does show both of them at the top, as expected. But inSSIDer can only register one at a time. And, it randomly switches which one it's showing. It jumps back and forth, and it does this even though my PC stays connected to the 5 GHz band as far as I can tell. I'm not seeing any results about this issue from searching the web.

I don't get it. I've never experienced this in the past, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever as to why this would be happening. I've used this same software with other routers and other installs of DD-WRT in the past and always could measure both SSIDs simultaneously. (In case this is relevant, I'm using v 2.1 of inSSIDer since back then it used to be free.)

Another weird thing that I noticed, which may or may not be connected (?), is that a lot of times Windows is reading the 5 GHz band incorrectly. Below is a screen shot. It's claiming that it's on the 2.4 GHz band even though it's connected to the SSID that is assigned to the 5 GHz radio (not shown in screen shot).

Anyone know what's happening here?

network.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.45 KB
 Viewed:  1978 Time(s)

network.png

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The General forum is not for asking help see the stickies in that forum (third post):
"STOP!-READ FIRST: This area is NOT for router help! READ!"

Forum guidelines can also be helpful, like stating router model and build number:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

I will transfer this post to the Atheros forum as you seem to have an Archer C7 Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not a dd-wrt related topic, not specific to a router. It's about Winblows and inSSIDer; and quite honestly isn't really a topic for discussion here, IMHO. That's why I didn't move it and why I just moved it back to General Wink Cool
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: