Problem after flashing a bricked R7000 to working builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
EddyL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 20:34    Post subject: Problem after flashing a bricked R7000 to working builds Reply with quote
My R7000 ran on Kong's build R35030 for 3 years without problem but suddenly hung up last week and had to be powered off/on to restart. It then did not response to the RESET button, failed to do firmware upgrade or restore backup (the GUI upgrade/restore screen just ended without doing anything). Both the 2.4G and 5G wifi did not work. A few minutes after power up, the router then responded to GUI access very slowly and then after a further few minutes gave no response at all. I could still ping the router at that moment but with response time >1000ms. All the LED lights work normally.

I then flashed the Kong’s build R35030 to it via TFTP/serial port. After the flashing, the router responded to GUI normally for a few minutes and then gave no response. I flashed it again and then restored a backup before it gave no response. The restore was successful but all the problems persisted after the reboot. I also tried flashing it with the latest Netgear FW (and also the old version of the stock FW came with the router) but after the successful flashing, the router rebooted itself repeatedly.

I tried to check the serial console logs but could not find any obvious error message.

Attached are the serial console logs of (1) boot up of the the router with R35030 (with backup restored) and (2) the flashing log of the latest stock FW. I appreciate if anyone can help to have a look of the logs and shed me some light what has gone wrong with the router.

R7000 Console Log - boot up with newly flashed R35030.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  R7000 Console Log - boot up with newly flashed R35030.txt
 Filesize:  104.61 KB
 Downloaded:  126 Time(s)

R7000 Console Log - Flashing to stock FW then boot-loop.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  R7000 Console Log - Flashing to stock FW then boot-loop.txt
 Filesize:  64.75 KB
 Downloaded:  120 Time(s)

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume that you have never flash XWRT-Vortex on this router.

Nmrpflash it back to original stock firmware.

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/releases/tag/v0.9.15

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Reset to defaults in stock firmware webUI, if possible, or use the reset button for ~10 seconds while booted up.

After router reboots, flash DD-WRT; Do your initial login to webUI and then reset via Factory Defaults page.

When the router reboots, *then* configure from scratch, do not restore from backup.

You are likely not using Firefox ESR portable or Pale Moon Portable in private browsing mode.

Chromium browsers do strange things.

It would likely be ideal to start with either 40270M Kong (his last release) or 46446 Official.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/04-24-2021-r46446/netgear-r7000/

Keep in mind that 46604 and newer Official firmware for Broadcom uses swconfig for vlan configuration via CLI,
so the old way of doing things no longer applies. You will want to upgrade eventually for security reasons.

P.S. It is no longer advised, recommended, or supported to run <Kong> builds as the latest is almost two years
old now and he has pulled all of his DD-WRT images off the download server.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
EddyL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for your reply and suggestions.

You are correct, I never flash XWRT-Vortex.

As per your suggestion, I used nmrpflash to flash the latest stock FW and it was successful. I observed the process via the serial console and it stopped at the >CFE prompt when the flashing was done. I then did a reset by pressing the reset button during booting and saw the message “default loaded” in the serial console. However, the router still boots itself repeatedly after that.

Are there any differences between the flashed result by using TFTP (by pressing Ctrl-C during boot and stopping at the >CFE prompt) and nmrpflash (just send the nmrpflash command to the router when it is booting up)? From the serial console log, I found that both processes work similarly.

Any further suggestions to find out the cause of the problems are very welcome.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
If after 3 years without you doing anything (so no change in settings or firmware) the router starts to misbehave you should consider a hardware failure.

Most common, failing power supply, so try another power supply, or failing capacitors, you can check the motherboard for bulging or leaking.

Just my two cents

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^^^ I forgot about this, but that is the next thing to look at.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
EddyL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the advice and suggestion.

Yes, hardware failure which would ultimately come. I was just trying my best to see whether it is not the case or before telling my hardworking R7000 to RIP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: