CFE bin file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 13:16    Post subject: CFE bin file Reply with quote
Does anyone have the original cfe.bin file for the EA6500 V2 router. I have been spending hours reading and also translating pages trying to get the original cfe.bin file. I either find out that you need to edit the original cfe.bin file which is impossible do to a bad flash or I find a link that no longer hosts the cfe.bin file. I would really like for someone to attach the original cfe.bin file here so that me and others can get easily.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
It isn't against the rules to post in either of these threads:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169109

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=151032

That being said, you should read through this thread:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283136

You may be able to use the XWRT-Vortex CFE to get it back up and going.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:17    Post subject: Bricked Flashing CFE Reply with quote
I have tried to follow all the proper steps carefully to flash the CFE and no the risks. Used WinSCP and Putty to upload the new modified CFE to eliminate the 32k NVRAM bug. After the command "mtd write –f new6xxxcfe.bin /dev/mtd0" I did a power cycle instead of doing a command "reboot." I have found out later that the command "reboot" should have been done but was not in the original instructions that I followed. Now my router has a steady power light and the network lights on the back are flashing. I have ordered a JTag Mini and tried to TTL to the router and only see gibberish on the screen (cursor scrolls with grey blocks and letters sometimes). Tried connecting the JTag Mini using TXD->RXD, RXD->TXD, GND->GND, and TXD->TXD, RXD->RXD, GND->GND. I always get the same output on the screen (tried using both Linux and Windows).

During this time that my Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 router has been down I have been using an old Netgear router and now it has stopped working (will not load firmware).

Back to the issue. Now that I have a JTag Mini is there another way for me to flash the original firmware back to the router. Also, since I am without Wi-Fi in the house is there a way to force the router to ping so I can upload the firmware (pin short). I really need my router working again and know that a pin short is not recommended. If I can pin short than instructions and pictures would be a big help.

jtag-ttl output.jpg
 Description:
JTag/TTL Mini Output
 Filesize:  292.34 KB
 Viewed:  5742 Time(s)

jtag-ttl output.jpg

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
About the gibberish, see if this helps:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323931

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 14:46    Post subject: JTag/TTL Connect Tried Again Reply with quote
egc wrote:
About the gibberish, see if this helps:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323931

I have tried again using your suggestion and still am getting gibberish. I will attach some photos for you to see what I am dealing with. Currently using Windows 7 since I knew where to find my copy and all drivers loaded.

The pins on the board from top to bottom (picture):
GND -> Pin 1
RXD to TXD -> Pin 2
TXD to RXD -> Pin 4

Do you have another suggestion or do I need to pin short?

Moderator note 05.13.21: Please refer to the forum rules and guidelines regarding image sizes. Thank you.

IMG_20210513_222824_HDR.jpg
 Description:
JTag/TTL mini USB
 Filesize:  102.43 KB
 Viewed:  5693 Time(s)

IMG_20210513_222824_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210513_222738_HDR.jpg
 Description:
Pins on a Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 board
 Filesize:  246.96 KB

IMG_20210513_222738_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210513_222618_HDR.jpg
 Description:
Putty gibberish and TFTP2 ready
 Filesize:  86.79 KB

IMG_20210513_222618_HDR.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using the proper header pin pitch connector / adapter? You need good solid connections. If you don't have the right connector / adapter to the usual pin size on most USB-UART-TTL adapters, it may not work that well for output.

----------------------
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29    Post subject: JTag/TTL Connections Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Are you using the proper header pin pitch connector / adapter? You need good solid connections. If you don't have the right connector / adapter to the usual pin size on most USB-UART-TTL adapters, it may not work that well for output.

Alright. I have a total of ten different colored wires. I separated three of those wires from the group. On one end I took off the black cover and exposed the wires than connected to the pins (see attachment photo). I than connected the other end to the JTag mini as follows. GND -> GND, RXD -> TXD, and TDI -> RXD. I than changed my ethernet connection to a static IP address and tried again to connect putty, turn on the router, and hit ctrl+c. Now in the putty terminal I am getting no response and my ethernet will not connect. If I disconnect the JTag mini and power on the router the ethernet will connect. Double check all my connections and made sure that the driver is installed for JTag mini and all the settings are correct in putty.

Do you have any idea or another suggestion that I may be missing or not seeing?

JTag Connections.jpg
 Description:
JTag connections
 Filesize:  82.51 KB
 Viewed:  5637 Time(s)

JTag Connections.jpg

Putty Serial Setting.jpg
 Description:
Putty serial setting
 Filesize:  68.34 KB

Putty Serial Setting.jpg

Putty Translation Setting.jpg
 Description:
Putty translation setting
 Filesize:  65.85 KB

Putty Translation Setting.jpg

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
try switch rx and tx around recommend you insulate ends don't let them touch!
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 15:30    Post subject: JTag/TTL (JLink) Connections Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:

After trying what you said I have made a decision to talk to the seller and return the JTag/TTL (JLink) and purchase a Waveshare FT232 which should definitely do the trick. I will know soon and report back on my progress. The JTag/TTL (JLink) was just giving me too much trouble and couldn't get a response from putty. Even the seller of the JTag/TTL (Jlink) said that the Waveshare FT232 would be better for what I need it for and is also recommended by DD-WRT I assume. Thank all of you who have tried to help me.

Waveshare FT232.jpg
 Description:
Waveshare FT232 USB
 Filesize:  20.72 KB
 Viewed:  5493 Time(s)

Waveshare FT232.jpg

Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:20    Post subject: FT232 TTL Reply with quote
Today received the FT232 TTL Type A USB. Loaded the drivers for windows and connected all 3 wires as suggested. Double checked all connections three times and made sure the driver is loaded on COM3. Opened putty window and had tftp2 ready to upload Linksys firmware. Plugged in the power and immediately hit CTRL+C. The only thing that happens is the cursor starts scrolling across the terminal window with gibberish. Tried connected both ways with the TXD and RXD. If I connect the RXD->RXD and TXD->TXD than nothing happens on the terminal windows and the Ethernet will not connect. I have been spending countless hours trying to get this Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 router back up and running and have not found someone near me to fix this problem. Ready to call it and just recycle this router or put it away somewhere and forget about it.

If you have another suggestion or know a way for me to force this Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 router to ping than please let me know. I am asking for serious help here or a pin short. Please PM me the instructions and/or pictures PLEASE or post here.

Now I am just waiting for a reply. The suspense is killing me.

Windows Putty Output.jpg
 Description:
Windows Putty Output
 Filesize:  75.7 KB
 Viewed:  5448 Time(s)

Windows Putty Output.jpg

FT232 TTL.jpg
 Description:
FT232 TTL Type A USB
 Filesize:  87.04 KB
 Viewed:  5448 Time(s)

FT232 TTL.jpg

Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:

After doing some more research I found some information to short-circuit TX and RX posted below. Do you think that this would work? Should everything be ready and attached with the putty terminal window open before I attempt?

Shortcircuit TX and RX serial pins some seconds when powering on the router to simulate keyboard buttons pressing; this is ugly but it should work.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm all out of suggestions other than verifying correct pinouts with a multimeter on your router so your connections are 100% correct.

----------------------
Jasonsay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 16:46    Post subject: FT232 TTL Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm all out of suggestions other than verifying correct pinouts with a multimeter on your router so your connections are 100% correct.

I have gave the Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 on last go. This time I connected the ground wire last and it stopped the scrolling on the putty terminal window. I would assume that the FT232 TTL (Type A) USB was not properly grounded do to the gibberish. Now the only response I am getting is nothing. Tried reversing the TXD and RXD with no response in the putty terminal window. Now I believe that this router may be bricked do to no response from TTL and messing with the CFE file.

Thank you for your reply kernel-panic69. It is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:35    Post subject: Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 Flash Chip Reply with quote
I believe that I found the flash chip (attached photo). If this is the flash chip than I would like to know what pins to short out before I recycle this router. I have spent hours looking for the answer and can't find anything. Does anyone know what pins to short to get the router to ping so I can upload Linksys firmware?

Linksys-Flash-Chip.jpg
 Description:
Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 Flash Chip
 Filesize:  132.44 KB
 Viewed:  5050 Time(s)

Linksys-Flash-Chip.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since the Linksys EA6500V2/EA6700 is collecting dust now I decided to try a pin short on the NAND Flash. When I tried to short the RE# and R/B# I didn't get a response. I assume that these are the correct pins to short after doing my research. Did I assume correct or is there another chip or place on the board where I can short to get the router to ping?

Are there any other places on the board to attach the TXD, RXD, and GND? When I bought the FT232 it did come with 2 sets of pins that each contain 5 pins.

Last edited by Jasonsay on Tue May 25, 2021 8:01; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: