I need some advice on OpenVPN VoIP performance tuning

Goto page Previous  1, 2
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem isn't latency or efficiency or any of that. The problem is a defect in OpenVPN that is present in the K3 dd-wrt code and not in the K2.6 code. I am presenting a full writeup of it here in this forum in a new post
Sponsor
Docop1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did plug in couple of obi unit and linksys pap over ddwrt passing via ovpn. ovpn in tcp will always give about 70% less performance, but for voip it make no difference as it's all udp anyway. If you put lot of custom setting, perhaps a reset to default could help to pin point the speed issues .. as voip is quite less than 100kbps per conn.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Docop1 wrote:
I did plug in couple of obi unit and linksys pap over ddwrt passing via ovpn. ovpn in tcp will always give about 70% less performance, but for voip it make no difference as it's all udp anyway. If you put lot of custom setting, perhaps a reset to default could help to pin point the speed issues .. as voip is quite less than 100kbps per conn.

This is correct that VoIP streams are low bandwidth and should be fine on even a slow OpenVPN box - which is precisely why I was tearing my hair out over this. As I said in the last post in the thread, the problem wasn't speed it was large UDP packets being trashed due to an OpenVPN bug. Please take a look at the other thread for the full writeup and workaround. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329037
atifak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
CGM is more efficient, as you said in the tutorial, which I have also discovered in my tests, so that's fantastic. However, there may be customers with slower routers that only require a short OpenVPN setup for anything and are unaffected. Also, turning on or off the WiFi appears to have a significant impact on OpenVPN losing UDP packets. That's something you might mention in the handbook.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that is mentioned in the other thread. But it is a good point. I wonder just how much of the radio chip is implemented in software not hardware, and is a CPU suck
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: