Missing tabs in GUI [Resolved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 23:47    Post subject: Missing tabs in GUI [Resolved] Reply with quote
Okay this a strange problem even for me.

This is on a Netgear R8000 with r44467 while manually creating profile after a clean install. I first flashed the 'factory-to-dd-wrt_r44467.chk' build first, rest the router, power cycled it, then flashed 'netgear-r8000-webflash_r44467.bin', I reset and power cycled it again. Then started creating a profile. I WAS NOT USING A CHROMIUM BROWSER. I was using Firefox 88.0.1.

I'll let the screen shots illustrate the problem.

2021-05-15_16-17-31.jpg
 Description:
NAT/QoS page missing UPnP, DMZ, and QoS tabs.
 Filesize:  39.6 KB
 Viewed:  2896 Time(s)

2021-05-15_16-17-31.jpg

2021-05-15_16-16-52.jpg
 Description:
Security Page is missing both Firewall &VPN Passthrough tabs.
 Filesize:  31.8 KB

2021-05-15_16-16-52.jpg

2021-05-15_16-15-56.jpg
 Description:
Wireless page is missing WL-1-WDS, WL2-Advanced, and WL2-WDS tabs.
 Filesize:  46.13 KB

2021-05-15_16-15-56.jpg

Last edited by TedCheeze on Tue May 18, 2021 8:56; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the fourth page

2021-05-15_16-17-59.jpg
 Description:
The Status page is missing Bandwidth, Syslog, and Sys-Info tabs.
 Filesize:  47.84 KB
 Viewed:  2895 Time(s)

2021-05-15_16-17-59.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) Why did you double-flash? All that is required is the factory-to-ddwrt file.

2) You seem to be the only one with the issue:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326665

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all I hate broadcom routers. This is just one more example to add to my long list of reasons.

Kernel-Panic69 if there is a one in million glitch I will be the person that it happens to. So being the only one that is experiencing this problem is absolutely no surprise.
I would also like to mention I noticed a pattern. Obviously across the top of the DD-WRT GUI there are eight menu tabs. The only menus that were missing sub-menu tabs were the even numbered ones. (2-Wireless, 4-Security, 6-NAT/QoS, and 8-Status) What does that mean? Not a clue. Just a rather odd coincidence I would say.

Two different repeatable things trigger this problem.
I could recreate, and resolve, the problem as many times as I wanted at will.

1) In the wireless page change the Channel Width on either ATH0 or ATH2 to VHT80 and click apply. (Note: Only requires changing one of them, changing both results in the same problem) The menu tabs I mentioned in my original post will immediately disappear. Reboot, no change. Restore the channel width (on both) to something other than VHT80, click apply, this causes the missing tabs to immediately reappear.

Now this is a precursor to the second condition that causes the problem. AS I said before I flashed the Factory to DD-WRT build. I performed a reset and power cycle. After performing several factory resets I finally noticed the wireless page still had the OEM SSIDs and OEM WPA2 keys instead of the default DD-WRT settings. These setting persisted regardless of how many time I performed a factory reset. Now how did the OEM SSID and WPA2 keys survive firmware change and the factory resets? No idea. IMO I think Netgear has done this to hinder the use of third party firmware. Now most DD-WRT users would want to change the SSID and WPA2 keys. Correct? So onto the second trigger.

2) Changing the SSID did not create any problem. However, when I changed the WPA2 key to something other than the OEM key that is printed on the back of the router, the menu tabs immediately disappear again. Reboot, no change. Change the WPA2 keys back to the OEM key listed on the back had no effect, a factory reset is required to restore missing GUI tabs. So I went back and only changed the OEM WPA2 Key resulting in the missing tabs again. So changing the OEM SSID proved to be irrelevant.

This brings up another problem this horrible router has in which the reset button only reboots the router, it does not perform a reset regardless of the length of time you hold down the button. It would seem the only way to reset the settings of this device is using the GUI reset option whether it is the OEM firmware or DD-WRT. Another hint Netgear has taken steps to hinder third party firmware on this device. FYI - There is no version number listed after the model number which I assume means version 1.

So I decided to revert this ugly little demon back to the OEM firmware which presented another hint Netgear is hindering the use of third party firmware. With the OEM firmware installed the router takes a mere 35-45 seconds to complete the startup process from power-off condition. When DD-WRT was installed the startup process was taking at least 4 minutes sometimes longer. Those times did not change when doing a reboot from either GUI.

My neighbor has been looking for a cheap router/WAP to put in his covered riding arena. I told him I have the perfect solution. I enabled the OEM Wireless AP mode. Then we ran a extension cord and a ethernet cable up to the peak of the riding arena roof where we mounted it. According to one of his teenage daughters it resembles a giant spider with the six antennas sticking out. She's right it's an ugly little demon. I bought this thing at Goodwill for $10 so who cares if the birds, bats, moisture, or insects wipe it out. Until then it's just a WAP that I hopefully will never have to deal with again, other than possibly smash it with a sledge hammer.

That was the single worst BCM router I have ever dealt with. And I can not believe these things are still being sold brand new for $240 or more. After all that I think I need a beer or twelve.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You do realize that any Netgear, when flashed with DD-WRT, retains the stock firmware SSIDs, passwords, etc., right? Does not matter if you reset via button, webUI, etc. It is likely that there may have been an issue with that particular router's firmware images for that build. It happens. Not sure if you flashed the standard or experimental images, but if you didn't try flashing a newer version, then there is no telling; all I know is you are the only person who reported this issue with that particular build on that particular router. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

P.S. It looks like you are running Firefox, but are you running *any* add-ons, extensions, etc.? Are you in private browsing mode?

----------------------
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea I forgot about the Netgear SSID and PW thing.
I haven't played with Netgear stuff since WGR614 and WG602 were top of the line.

It seems it was that particular router. Like I said if there is 1 in a million glitch or defect I'm usually the person the ends up with it. If a guy with a truck load of watermelons told me to help myself to a watermelon I would come back with a cantaloupe. It's just the way it is I no longer worry about it.

My neighbor called and was asking why did I unload that piece of junk on him. (Well that didn't take long.) It would seem that even with the OEM firmware V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 the 5Ghz radios stop functioning if you change the OEM provided WPA2 password. So much for wifi roaming.
And it was also stipulated I will be the victim in the man cage on the end of the telehandler changing it out next weekend. So another three days before I can finally be rid of that thing.

I had a moment of weakness I actually used my windows laptop to do the flashing on that router. On the laptop Firefox has Lastpass and Adobe Acrobat plugins. Yes I was using Private Browsing so I could easily clear the browser cache between router reboots. I normally use a Ubuntu Desktop Live DVD and Firefox w/o any plugins when flashing different builds. This way I have the NIC is already set to a static address then when I am done just reboot to windows and nothing has to be changed. With the LiveDVD when I reboot a router I reboot the LiveDVD as well. That way I know I'm getting current traffic from the router rather than a cache hit. Not clearing the cache bit in the butt me a few times too many.

Well I'm sure a person will have better odds winning Mega-Millions lottery game three or four times before they run into this problem, but if they do at least they will now know they have a malfunctioning router.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, is there a particular reason why you went back to stock or? I have no idea what said router is running now in this tale of bad luck Cool If you're gonna run stock, better use the latest: https://kb.netgear.com/000063676/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-122-Hot-Fix

Otherwise, wait for the next DD release... perhaps Twisted Evil

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: