Will DD WRT be obsolete in the future?

mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 16:46    Post subject: Will DD WRT be obsolete in the future? Reply with quote
I'm looking at these new WiFi 6 Routers.....

Stronger and faster signals...
Functions galore.....

All done with CPU's that are less power hungry and less than a R7500 by half...

In the user manuals , I have never seen so many functions than in past routers..

So, with all that said...What can DD WRT do better for the future networking?

Thxs
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. so, far it is better...but... it depends on what router...some are better than others...
2. as far as WiFi 6, its only a marketing trick...(see the previous point).. Laughing..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is what dd-wrt does better - it provides a consistent interface that does not vary from router model to router model.

Since router makers change their router models and come out with new ones as fast as normal people change their underpants, this is far more valuable than you might think.

I have had a customer the last decade that over the years has "had the occasion to need wifi in some location" Every last one of their wifi access points I have bought and supplied and made sure ran dd-wrt. As soon as I took the routers out of the box I put dd-wrt on it. They now have around a dozen of these at their site and at remote sites of theirs. Almost all of them are different hardware models but every one has the same webinterface and can be telnetted into. If they have a problem I don't have to waste a lot of time experimenting to see if Brand X's model has a particular function in it.

The only gear that comes close to this is Ubiquity'$ stuff and Ci$co's stuff.
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
as far as WiFi 6, its only a marketing trick
Wifi 6E adds a whole new 6ghz radio band but the three leading WiFi6E routers are all Broadcom chipsets and Broadcom is anti-open source these days. I am curious if there are any WiFi 6 routers at all that could be candidates for DD-WRT.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
tkoyn wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
as far as WiFi 6, its only a marketing trick
Wifi 6E adds a whole new 6ghz radio band but the three leading WiFi6E routers are all Broadcom chipsets and Broadcom is anti-open source these days. I am curious if there are any WiFi 6 routers at all that could be candidates for DD-WRT.

Did you not read any of the links I posted?
msoengineer wrote:
Well, Unless something magical happens, the end of the road for BCM routers is 802.11 AC, No AX series routers will come...

BrainSlayer wrote:
AX will only come for qca chipset. broadcom doesn't provide an opensource sdk. All is full of binary blob. So, I wasn't able to get the kernel working yet since fundamental.

This means don't ask for AX support on broadcom. SORRY!

He's working on a RAX120...so keep an eye on Atheros...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Yes I did. Did you read my comment on this thread? I am trying to shift the conversation away from Broadcom. What are the non-Broadcom WiFi 6 (not 6E) routers on the market? (It appears the main 6E ones are all Broadcom so I will stop asking about those.)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
tkoyn wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Yes I did. Did you read my comment on this thread? I am trying to shift the conversation away from Broadcom. What are the non-Broadcom WiFi 6 (not 6E) routers on the market? (It appears the main 6E ones are all Broadcom so I will stop asking about those.)

I added the link at the bottom of the following thread that I thought was already there:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322965

List Of 802.11ax Hardware (Wikidevi)

You still could've answered your own question, though; but I keep forgetting people don't want to do their own web searching or reading most of the time. I relent to repeat myself; Please refer to the forum rules and guidelines in my signature in entirety if you question the expectations of the moderators. Not trying to be obtuse or abrasive, but there is too much TL;DR and not enough RTFM and STFW.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: