Major problem with dd-wrt on Linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
whaleyland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Major problem with dd-wrt on Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Greetings everyone,

I am having a very strange issue that began a few weeks ago when the FlashRouters app somehow got corrupted and I had to reinstall the app (not dd-wrt). Following the reinstall, the VPN began working again properly but the SAMBA share to my Apple TV stopped working consistently. I finally decided to update the firmware to the latest version (April 2021) and nothing has worked correctly since.

For about a week, the NAS sync via SAMBA was working sporadically so I finally decided to switch to FTP instead and that seemed to fix the issue. However with this switch, I lost the ability to access the SAMBA drive via the network (for several months I could even access it via my normal [non-FlashRouter] network). Anyway, my success was short-lived when suddenly last Friday (note: I didn't touch any settings in the meantime), the hard drive decided it no longer wanted to consistently sync even via FTP. So now neither SAMBA nor FTP works. It synced randomly on Sunday night, just enough to watch half a show, before the FTP just failed completely. The strangest thing is that the internet has been 100% fine this whole time. The VPN has been working and they speed has been normal (i.e., crappy but that's a VPN for you).

The strangest thing, though, is that the dd-wrt control panel has become terribly unstable for no reason whatsoever. It lags and often crashes, forcing me to refresh the screen, sometimes everal times. I am not able to access the FlashRouters MyPage at all anymore (I was on Saturday) and all the other pages often take several refreshes before they load, and even more before any changes I make get applied. I was barely able to upgrade the firmware earlier today to the May 2021 version that just released, but it didn't fix anything from what I can tell. The dd-wrt control panel is still very unstable even though the internet works just fine.

What is the problem and what is the solution to this? I currently can't watch anything from my NAS drive on the Apple TV and I also can't check/change the VPN settings or tweak anything else reliably in the settings. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsor
FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
What device are you using to access the GUI? Hardware and software levels.
Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.330 #3466 SMP Thu Oct 13 02:01:23 +07 2022 armv7l
Linksys RE9000 Extender (WiFi attached)
OpenVPN with PBR: ExpressVPN
Devices: Sonos, Apple, QNAP, Laserjet other
whaleyland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
FlaParrotHead wrote:

Macbook Pro (late 2016), macOS 11.3.1, current version of Safari (although I have tried Chrome too).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try using Firefox ESR. MacOS has issues with Safari, and Chromium-based browsers are problematic. Opera may work. Private browsing mode, no extensions loaded, and don't intermingle webUI access with your internet traffic.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow the advice from kernel-panic69 and you should be on your way.
I don't run MacOS but rather WIN10 previews, but for any of my work with the routers I use IE11 exclusively. I use EDGE for everything else. As indicated you would be best to have a separate browser for just working with the routers, FIREFOX is often suggested. By not using this exclusive Browser for anything else, you eliminate most of the weird automatic defaults being presented to the router especially when configuring.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55363 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55363 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55363
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55363
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
whaleyland wrote:
FlaParrotHead wrote:

Macbook Pro (late 2016), macOS 11.3.1, current version of Safari (although I have tried Chrome too).

The most recent versions os MacOS (11.3) and iPadOS (14.5) have nearly made the GUI unusable on most recent builds. I had to revert to r44048 which is the last stable drop for Apple devices.

I’m hoping that brainslayer or other code masters here are trying to finally fix it in a future build, if they know what’s happening to begin with.

Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.330 #3466 SMP Thu Oct 13 02:01:23 +07 2022 armv7l
Linksys RE9000 Extender (WiFi attached)
OpenVPN with PBR: ExpressVPN
Devices: Sonos, Apple, QNAP, Laserjet other
whaleyland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firefox (which I never really use for anything) seems to work fairly well, but till sometimes times out. Usually a refresh of the window fixes the issue. It's at least more stable than Safari or Chrome has been. I'd prefer not to downgrade the GUI if I can help it. I can try using my phone to access the GUI. I don't really have any PCs around regularly that I can use, but I do have a little-used Windows 10 partition on this Mac that I can switch to if things get really dire (I don't like restarting the Mac more than I have to because of several ongoing tasks I usually have running).

As a follow-up, is there a way to keep a NAS drive awake? Ever since the new update, my NAS keeps falling asleep and doesn't always like to wake up again (it wakes up about 2/3 of the time).
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
whaleyland wrote:
Greetings everyone,

I am having a very strange issue that began a few weeks ago when the FlashRouters app somehow got corrupted and I had to reinstall the app (not dd-wrt). Following the reinstall, ...

The FlashRouters (FR) Privacy App got a little long in the tooth without updates. My VPN provider made changes last year that still weren't supported by the FR App as of last month. I'd been solely using the OpenVPN service config page since last year, but still clung onto the FR App only for it's handy killswitch. As I recall, it sometimes needed to be manually reinstalled after DD-WRT updates (despite the startup script) in order to get the MyPage interface to work properly, although the killswitch just kept on working so I rarely bothered. BS incorporated a functional killswitch into the DD-WRT builds beginning last month (or so) without much fanfare (Thanks BS!), so I haven't used the FR App since then.

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
Fritzbuf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 14:05    Post subject: slow down, paused WLan Connections also with Android Reply with quote
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- v3.0-r46690 std (05/17/21)

I copy this message also in this post!

Also the WLan connection is very bad, during download a bigger datafile the connection paused some secounds and after that it goes forward again. This must be a fault in the driver or...?!?! As client I use a Samsung S10+ (Android). I read about r44048, but this version is an very old one and I think it is better to use a newer version with some other new stuff and security patches.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
whaleyland wrote:
is there a way to keep a NAS drive awake? Ever since the new update, my NAS keeps falling asleep and doesn't always like to wake up again (it wakes up about 2/3 of the time).

This is a long shot, but do you access it by name rather than IP, with LAN Domain set in DHCP settings in GUI>Services>Services? Turns out that if you set it to, say, home, you need to also include the line local=/home/ in Additional Dnsmasq Options. When I omitted the latter, my NAS access was flaky and DNS queries on X.home domains were actually being forwarded upstream to my external DNS provider before finally being resolved at the local level. Perhaps the NAS flakiness had to do with the extra delay? No clue. But things have been flawless since fixing that.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
we also have an S10 + in the family - it seems to be just as sensitive as all of the Apple devices.
whaleyland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
whaleyland wrote:
is there a way to keep a NAS drive awake? Ever since the new update, my NAS keeps falling asleep and doesn't always like to wake up again (it wakes up about 2/3 of the time).

This is a long shot, but do you access it by name rather than IP, with LAN Domain set in DHCP settings in GUI>Services>Services? Turns out that if you set it to, say, home, you need to also include the line local=/home/ in Additional Dnsmasq Options. When I omitted the latter, my NAS access was flaky and DNS queries on X.home domains were actually being forwarded upstream to my external DNS provider before finally being resolved at the local level. Perhaps the NAS flakiness had to do with the extra delay? No clue. But things have been flawless since fixing that.

Interesting conjecture but no, I don't. I access the drive just by typing in the IP address of the router, and sometimes a backslash to the directory. Strangely, though, I used to also be able to access it by just typing smb://ddwrt and it would go there. I could even do that when I was using my non-FlashRouter wifi hub. But I can't do either of those things anymore, which is extra annoying because I don't like switching my Wifi every time I want to edit something on my NAS from my PC.

I ran diagnostics on the drive yesterday and repaired it since it had become corrupted from all the restarts and drops its been going through. It still seems really unstable. Whenever I try to do anything with the drive over wifi via my computer, it freezes the Finder or drops out, forcing me to restart the router to reestablish a connection. It has never been this unstable before. I can transfer a few mid-sized files onto the NAS over wifi, but anything larger like some of my DVD burns will crash the NAS almost immediately. Again, if never did this before about a month ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: