wpad.dat and Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
stieg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 21:47    Post subject: Finally solved it Reply with quote
Finally got this working. Writing this to hopefully help anyone else who finds themselves in my position. Based on what I can tell there were two issues at play here:

1. Steam appears to have its own way of finding proxy configurations and doesn't seem to follow the system settings
2. Steam will not always update settings unless you run it as administrator.

So my initial fix of disabling HTTP server on port 80 and setting up configuration access via HTTPS seems to have solved part 1. Steam could no longer find the wpad.dat file since it was not hosted on HTTP anymore (steam does not look on HTTPS for this). But Steam had these settings memorized and thus kept on looking for a proxy that didn't exist. Once I closed out all of the steam processes using Task Manager and then relaunched Steam with system admin privileges then everything started magically working again.

So notes to go by:

* Steam checks your router for wpad.dat file. If its there Steam will grab it and use it (and doesn't seem to like to fall through)
* Steam still has issues when not running in admin mode.

Anyways... problem solved Game time!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
See, that was never a problem with GameSpy client software. Glad you figured it out!
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bashNinja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to chime in and say I had the same issue with SteamCMD.

Here are the steps I took to solve it.
1. Ensure Privoxy is disabled
2. Change the HTTP server to a different port:
Code:
nvram set http_lanport=81
nvram commit
reboot

3. Deleted the whole SteamCMD folder and re-install SteamCMD
4. Switched the HTTP server port back:
Code:
nvram set http_lanport=80
nvram commit
reboot

I have a feeling there's some config setting in SteamCMD that causes it to cache the wpad.dat settings, and it keeps trying it over and over.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:17    Post subject: Re: Finally solved it Reply with quote
stieg wrote:
Finally got this working. Writing this to hopefully help anyone else who finds themselves in my position. Based on what I can tell there were two issues at play here:

1. Steam appears to have its own way of finding proxy configurations and doesn't seem to follow the system settings
2. Steam will not always update settings unless you run it as administrator.

So my initial fix of disabling HTTP server on port 80 and setting up configuration access via HTTPS seems to have solved part 1. Steam could no longer find the wpad.dat file since it was not hosted on HTTP anymore (steam does not look on HTTPS for this). But Steam had these settings memorized and thus kept on looking for a proxy that didn't exist. Once I closed out all of the steam processes using Task Manager and then relaunched Steam with system admin privileges then everything started magically working again.

So notes to go by:

* Steam checks your router for wpad.dat file. If its there Steam will grab it and use it (and doesn't seem to like to fall through)
* Steam still has issues when not running in admin mode.

Anyways... problem solved Game time!

Thanks for this. Disabled http access on WebGUI, uninstalled Steam, rebooted pc, reinstalled Steam and it works fine
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: