General BCM/QCA question about WAP

Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 21:39    Post subject: General BCM/QCA question about WAP Reply with quote
The wiki says we should set "Local DNS" to the main gateway. My WAP is running my DHCP server because I prefer the ddwrt way for leases compared to my DSL gateway.

Currently rebuilding my config from my good old whr-g54S to a R7800, "Local DNS" is not set yet. Although the R7800 succeeds on DNS resolution, e.g. ntp.org subdomain time server name because time is up to date, and other queries:
Code:

nslookup afpa65.fr
nslookup: can't resolve '(null)'

Name:      afpa65.fr
Address 1: 217.70.184.38 webredir.vip.gandi.net

Please how is this possible? AFAIK my DSL gateway is not DNS capable. Is it dnsmasq that does the job for the WAP itself and not only for the DHCP clients ?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never seen a DSL gateway that WASN'T running a caching nameserver. Plug a PC in in place of the ddwrt box and see if your pc can resolve names
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Local DNS" is only set when you want a local dns server to resolve servers located in your LAN that is not available in public name servers. That is reolve to the private IP in your LAN.

nslookup: can't resolve '(null)'

This is a cosmetic bug in nslookup. You did not specify a dns server to ask at the command line.

The full command is:

nslookup afpa65.fr <dns-server>
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
Never seen a DSL gateway that WASN'T running a caching nameserver. Plug a PC in in place of the ddwrt box and see if your pc can resolve names

Great tip man Idea

Navigation

Jump to: