CPU showing slow clock

eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17    Post subject: CPU showing slow clock Reply with quote
Hi,

I have HP think client T620 with AMD CPU working top at around 1.7G hz.

But after I flased with 03-12-2021-r45993/x86_64/

Public vga and webflash.

Works fine.
But I find in system info,I found out the CPU clock shows only 800Mhz.

Is it normal?

Also I tried to install Astrill Applet,but showing Astrill VPN binary...failed,(routerPRo),only OpenVPN binary will be used in it's telnet window.In it's applet GUI,showing 'you need to buy roterPro addon'.

But don't need to buy at all,RouterPRo works in a slow netgear MIPS router without problems,only too slow.

Ask the official support,giving me the link of that old dd-wrt supported models and simply saying my router is not supported.

Is it the limitation of free DD-wrt_x86_64 or Astrill didn't compile the routerPRO for X86_64? would dd-wrt_86 have some luck?
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is normal. Its the cool and quiet working.

The cpu will ramp up to max speed when there is a huge CPU load on it.

I am running a Q9550 with a Dell Studio 540 board. The speedstep is enabled which does the same as AMD's cool and quiet. Which will use a lower clock speed where there isn't a huge workload on it.

The Q9550 runs at 2GHz 95% of the time and will ramp up to 2,300 and then 2.83GHz if pushed hard.

Your AMD will do the same thing if you use the NAS function and put an actual load on the CPU.

As for the Astrill that one is out of my scope for adding features for VPN on the routers.

I would see if this works here.

https://wiki.astrill.com/Astrill_Setup_Manual:Installing_Astrill_VPN_applet_onto_your_DD-WRT_flashed_routers. The PC version is better for VPN for sure cause of raw CPU speed and massive amount of ram helps too.
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:
This is normal. Its the cool and quiet working.

The cpu will ramp up to max speed when there is a huge CPU load on it.

I am running a Q9550 with a Dell Studio 540 board. The speedstep is enabled which does the same as AMD's cool and quiet. Which will use a lower clock speed where there isn't a huge workload on it.

The Q9550 runs at 2GHz 95% of the time and will ramp up to 2,300 and then 2.83GHz if pushed hard.

Your AMD will do the same thing if you use the NAS function and put an actual load on the CPU.

As for the Astrill that one is out of my scope for adding features for VPN on the routers.

I would see if this works here.

https://wiki.astrill.com/Astrill_Setup_Manual:Installing_Astrill_VPN_applet_onto_your_DD-WRT_flashed_routers. The PC version is better for VPN for sure cause of raw CPU speed and massive amount of ram helps too.

Hi,

In your system info tab,what's your CPU clock says?

About Astrill,I guess they don't compile compatiable package for X86 or X86-64 to support routerPRO.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
CPU ModelIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
CPU Cores4
CPU FeaturesFPU MMX SSE SSE2 SSSE3 SSE4.1 HT NX
CPU Clock 2003.000 MHz
Load Average
0%0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Temperatures CPU 37.0 °C

See my cpu slowest stock speed is 2GHz per core. This is the Intel speedstep enabled. When something puts a demand on it it will ramp up to 2.30Ghz then 2.83GHz which it is max speed.
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks so much for the infomation.

So more tasks are loaded,CPU clock do jump up as shown in the system tab,doesn't it?

It's not fixed,right?
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
in my experience i turn off speedstep since it does introduce noticeable lag in daily use. also i use a one of those plug in wall meters that show less than half a watt difference when speed step is turned on vs off.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
eeff11 wrote:
thanks so much for the infomation.

So more tasks are loaded,CPU clock do jump up as shown in the system tab,doesn't it?

It's not fixed,right?

Yes. One load you can do easy is enable Samba and setup a NAS drive on the system. Does not matter if its SATA or USB based storage. Then copy a large file to the drive over the network and the clock speed will ramp up. Once it is done it will slow itself back down.
atifak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use the NAS feature to place an actual load on the CPU, your AMD will do the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: