Mysterious issue with a WiFi printer

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
gailuron wrote:
The regulatory domain is not an issue, it has been removed from 5 GHz section.

This is a global setting, the one remaining setting applies to all radios.
Sponsor
gailuron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Mysterious issue with a WiFi printer Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I guess we have to be blatantly obtuse and obvious to point you to what we're referring to.

Announcement: QCA BEST WIFI SETTINGS

I had understood. I read them a few years ago.

You divert attention on settings that are not related to my issue. Everything used to work fine until build 43028 with my settings. The point is rather a DHCP server bug in new builds. The server is unable to provide an IP address to my printer and DD-WRT is unable to detect this failure.

Last edited by gailuron on Thu Apr 29, 2021 17:59; edited 1 time in total
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have not already tried this and assuming you have a back up of your settings on old working version (so you can always restore if required) flash latest build and clean nvram and just set basic settings up from fresh and retest.
You can always flash back to old and restore settings within a few minutes.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
mrbla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have problem with hp printer. It looks like it is connecting to WiFi but not getting any IP address. Problem was not there with older Netgear WNDR4500 and recent builds. With my current R7800 and current builds like described it is a problem.
Also in openwrt Forum there is a thread about the Problem starting with 19.7.x builds. The 18.x builds don’t have this problem. They also found out that the problem is not related to dhcp server but to the wpa security. If you switch the router to WPA2 + tkip it gets a IP address. If you set it to WPA2+CCMP Problem occurs. So new builds of dd-wrt is the same which leads me to the conclusion that it is related to the WiFi firmware or the wpa suppliant. On the other hand it might be also a poor implementation at the hp printers. Mine is a hp laser jet 1415fnw.

Have look here:
https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2748&order=status&sort=desc
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is clearly a printer-side configuration or firmware issue OR a DD-WRT configuration issue. Do either of your printers support WPA2-AES (CCMP)? Are you *sure* you are following the DD-WRT wi-fi settings properly? Those have changed since "a few years ago".
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
gailuron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrbla wrote:
The 18.x builds don’t have this problem. They also found out that the problem is not related to dhcp server but to the wpa security. If you switch the router to WPA2 + tkip it gets a IP address. If you set it to WPA2+CCMP Problem occurs. So new builds of dd-wrt is the same which leads me to the conclusion that it is related to the WiFi firmware or the wpa suppliant. On the other hand it might be also a poor implementation at the hp printers. Mine is a hp hp laser jet 1415fnw.

I don't think it's a matter of WPA security. My WPA2 settings and password are the same for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and I use 2 SSID. I disabled WPA3 when testing both bands. With the 2.4 GHz SSID, no problem. With the 5 GHz SSID, failure. On the other hand, I suspect a poor implementation of the 5 GHz in HP's printers because my smartphones continued to work on 5 GHz with most recent DD-WRT releases.

That said, my HP printer used to work on 5 GHz with previous DD-WRT builds for two years. Thus, something has changed in DD-WRT although I have never changed WiFi settings.
gailuron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
This is clearly a printer-side configuration or firmware issue OR a DD-WRT configuration issue. Do either of your printers support WPA2-AES (CCMP)? Are you *sure* you are following the DD-WRT wi-fi settings properly? Those have changed since "a few years ago".

Yes, my HP printer supports WPA2-AES, it worked on 5 GHz with WPA2-CCMP for two years.

I guess that WiFi setting recommendations could have changed since I read them. I will check.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Older equipment can often not connect on N only, you should use N/G mixed or even Mixed.
For 5 GHz you should use AC/N

But those are settings which are probably not available on your 10 year old? router

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
mrbla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@egc

Thank you for the hint with the Mixed Mode. That is working now.
Strange that it is different between Broadcom and Atheros.
In Broadcom n/g mixed was working.

Now I have to find out how to get this kind of confit working in openwrt. Because the ksmbd together with ext4 hdd is stopping a lot of times. Samba4 was working good in open wrt.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mrbla:

vanilla Firmware typ = N/G-Mixed
dd-wrt Firmware typ = Mixed

is actually well known
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
vanilla Firmware typ = N/G-Mixed
dd-wrt Firmware typ = Mixed

is actually well known

This only applies to certain routers, *not* all Atheros devices. R7800, EA8500, R9000, XR500, XR700, and possibly R7500. Not sure about the C7 or A7 TP-Link off the top of my head, but the ones I listed are the only ones that have this functionality.

A blanket statement that might confuse the OP or anyone else reading along is not a good idea. At least be specific or quote / directly address the person whom you're replying to so as not to confuse those who cannot follow the conversation. Thanks.

I removed the garbage below this post and edited yours for clarification purposes.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
gailuron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 21:26    Post subject: Mysterious issue with a WiFi printer Reply with quote
DD-WRT forum and wiki were down for four days. Meanwhile, I tested different settings on my HP printer. My feeling is that WiFi is poorly implemented by HP.

For instance:
- The printer's WiFi interface has only one MAC address and cannot handle both bands at the same time. But it can manage two connections at the same time on 2.4 GHz, AP and Direct WiFi.
- Direct WiFi is disabled when 5 GHz is enabled.
- If the printer is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and WiFi (2.4 or 5 GHz) is enabled, Ethernet does not disable WiFi connection to the router, even though we restart the printer. But only Ethernet MAC address requests an IP address.
- If WiFi is disabled while Ethernet is enabled, we can still print from an Android mobile connected to the same LAN. But, if AirPrint is disabled, we can no longer print from an Android mobile, even though the printer is connected to the LAN through Ethernet.

That being said, it does not explain why the printer used to work with a 5 GHz connection until DD-WRT build 43028 and no longer works with recent DD-WRT builds.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: