Secondary Connection in TP-Link routers for ISP services

shabbir1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 19:56    Post subject: Secondary Connection in TP-Link routers for ISP services Reply with quote
Hi forum members, I'm new to the forum and pretty naive to routing or generally speaking, networking stuff. Not a big deal though because my ISP provider couldn't help me either with the issue discussed below:

I was using TP Link router previously, and connection type was set to PPPoE. After entering my username and password, I could access the internet. But for accessing various services provided by ISP (like Entertainment portal), I had to select Secondary Connection using dynamic IP. It used to assign a different IP below with a different subnet mask and the services used to work.

Recently I bought a dLink 868L router and upgraded the firmware to dd-wrt. I can access the internet in it but cannot access those lan services as I couldn't find the Secondary Connection option in dd-wrt.

I believe there will be some workaround to make it work but since my expertise are pretty low, I am seeking your help in it. If my question needs some more explanation, kindly ask me questions so that I can elaborate my concerned matter.

Regards,
Sponsor
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a business associate using Zipley DSL who ran into this curious issue.

Their ISP (Zipley) had a DSL modem at their house that was running PPPoE and they were getting a lot of periodic access problems (as in during the busy times of the day they were getting extremely slow Internet access as well as disconnects). They asked me for help and bought themselves a brand new router.

I wanted to put the DSL modem into bridged mode and use the PPPoE configuration from the modem on their router. I was QUITE surprised to discover that I could make both their DSL modem and their router work in EITHER ppoe mode or DHCP mode.

My conclusion was that their ISP had started out with PPPoE, probably for bandwidth control purposes, then started gradually transitioning over to direct assignment via DHCP. They get 1 set of IP addresses if their router is setup to obtain addressing via PPPoE. They get a different set if their router is setup to obtain IP addressing via DHCP. Both sets work for web surfing, etc.

In your case my guess is that you have the same situation. You were originally setup via PPPoE so you think that PPPoE is the "correct" way for you to configure your router. Then as time passed your ISP began switching over to DHCP assignment and didn't bother telling any customers. They figured that as modems died and got replaced with new ones they would gradually switch over. Somehow you stumbled over the fact that you could get a "secondary" set of working numbers.
I think you should do the same thing I did for my friend and just set your router to obtain via DHCP and forget the PPPoE stuff. PPPoE is an inferior connection method anyway than just assignment via DHCP. Assuming that works you are good to go. Just save off your PPPoE details on a piece of paper in case you ever need them.
shabbir1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help Sir, but I'm afraid that In my case, when I configure via DHCP instead of PPPoE, it does not connect to the internet, neither to the LAN based ISP services. So I assume, configuring the router as PPPoE is necessary.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you still have your tp link router is the secondary dynamic ip that works for your isp's services from the same network as the dhcp-obtained IP address?

Who is your isp?

What does that ISP have customers use? It's own gear?
shabbir1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I reconnected my TP-Link router. Instead of PPPoE, if I connect it as DHCP, the IP assigned is same as the IP obtained in the Secondary Connection.

I also need to clarify that when using PPPoE mode in the TP-Link router, the WAN-IP obtained using PPPoE connection and the IP obtained in secondary Connection are completely different.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if it's available in every dd-wrt build, but at least in the several dd-wrt routers I'm running here, there is a "PPPoE Dual" option on the WAN, which would seem to be what you want.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
shabbir1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, there is PPPoE dual option in it, but I am not sure how to configure the settings using this connection mode. Rolling Eyes
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
shabbir1987 wrote:
Yes, I reconnected my TP-Link router. Instead of PPPoE, if I connect it as DHCP, the IP assigned is same as the IP obtained in the Secondary Connection.

I also need to clarify that when using PPPoE mode in the TP-Link router, the WAN-IP obtained using PPPoE connection and the IP obtained in secondary Connection are completely different.

I understood that. Here's my question to you on this:

It seems on the TPlink you get 2 IP's one via PPPoE and one via DHCP. The DHCP IP works to access your ISPs services but won't work for the Internet. The PPPoE IP works to access the Internet but not your ISP's services. Is that what it is?

If so then if you configure the new router as PPPoE will it work to access the Internet but not your ISP's services, and if you reconfigure it as DHCP will it then work to access your ISP's services but not the Internet?

Let us know if this is correct or not. And please understand if it is - it is a very very strange way for an ISP to provide customer access. What company is this ISP?
riz1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
shabbir1987 wrote:

I understood that. Here's my question to you on this:

It seems on the TPlink you get 2 IP's one via PPPoE and one via DHCP. The DHCP IP works to access your ISPs services but won't work for the Internet. The PPPoE IP works to access the Internet but not your ISP's services. Is that what it is?

If so then if you configure the new router as PPPoE will it work to access the Internet but not your ISP's services, and if you reconfigure it as DHCP will it then work to access your ISP's services but not the Internet?

Let us know if this is correct or not. And please understand if it is - it is a very very strange way for an ISP to provide customer access. What company is this ISP?

Hi, I'm facing same situation. And yes, you are right that I access Internet via PPoE, however some local service like gaming server, IPTV, Entertainment (Intranet) portal on DHCP. The issue I'm facing is when I set connection to dual/PPPoE-Russian the service refused to connect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: