Recognizing Twonkyserver from different subnet

jhaverbs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 21:50    Post subject: Recognizing Twonkyserver from different subnet Reply with quote
I have set up Netgear R8000 with Firmware v3.0-r45993 std. The router is in AP mode and WAN port is connected to a NETGEAR cable modem providing internet access from COMCAST. I have also another R8000 with the same firmware set up in client mode (unfortunately the client bridge mode is not supported on this Router model.) The client router is on subnet 192.168.2.0, with WAN port static at 192.168.1.2. The main AP router is 192.168.1.1. I set up advance routing in AP router as suggested here. I have a sony baravia TV connected to client router that gets internet access fine, but it does not find Twonkyserver running on one of the device connected to the main AP router.

Is there some additinal routing I need to do in any of the routers, AP or Client, to allow Twonkyserver running behing AP router to be discovered by sony bravia tv behind client router?

PS: My older Linksys N300 router with dd-wrt in client bridge mode (same subnet 192.168.1.0) did recognize twonkyserver on AP router. But transfer speed is too slow, hence I got this AC3200 netgear router.
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Network discovery does NOT normally work across IP networks. You need to either have them on the same IP network, or use an mDNS reflector/repeater (e.g., Avahi).

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/avahi-tutorial-configuring-a-reflector-aka-mdns-repeater.75706/

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
jhaverbs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Network discovery does NOT normally work across IP networks. You need to either have them on the same IP network, or use an mDNS reflector/repeater (e.g., Avahi).

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/avahi-tutorial-configuring-a-reflector-aka-mdns-repeater.75706/

Thanks, I did take a look at it, and sounded quite involved set up (I am noob at this). Anyway, I was able to install kodi on sony bravia (a google tv), and used file manager to get to samba shares on a device on AP router (no twonkyserver involved). I can get to play all media files. Only loss is that sony tv is 4k, but kodi on android tv limits display to 1080p only, so I am unable to get 4k on kodi.
jhaverbs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:

I have one more question. Going back to issues with setting up a bridge with new broadcam routers like R8000, I read in one of Brainslayer post that setting up bridge over eoip tunnel may be possible to join these two routers over same subnet.

Does anyone have advice/comments whether this is possible before I spend hours/days fooling around. Thanks. I will also appreciate any links to bridging over eoip tunnel with dd-wrt firmware. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: