How to open ports through VPN.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57    Post subject: How to open ports through VPN. Reply with quote
I have a r7800 running r46380.

I have set up OpenVPN Client to connect with NordVPN, which seems to be working fine.

I have enabled the Transmission Daemon and set up Transmission for torrents, which is working well (by working I mean it's downloading torrents fine).

I have a static port number of 51413, but when I go to test the port, I get that the port is closed.

I want to keep all traffic including torrents using the VPN, as my router connects to a communal WiFi so all my traffic going in and out would ideally stay encrypted.

I am presuming that as I wish everything to be kept inside the tunnel, that it's not as simple as port forwarding?
Sponsor
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, as always I think I have found my answer almost immediately.

https://nordvpn.com/blog/port-forwarding/
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you bind transmission on the router to the OpenVPN client, then access to port 51413 will only be available over the VPN as well. If you rely on UPnP to open that port, it will be over the WAN. If you configure it manually (as you must in this case), then you need to port forward over the VPN, both locally and remotely (i.e., on the server side of the tunnel). But iirc, NordVPN doesn't support port forwarding over their servers.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
As it stands monitoring WLAN0 by using

tcpdump -s 0 -i wlan0 -w /tmp/mnt/sda1/Capture.pcap

There is no sign of any activity while a torrent is currently downloading, so my guess is Transmission has automatically bound itself to the tunnel. There is no sign of any packets other than the few at the top of this image, and the OpenVPN packets.

Yes, unfortunately when I checked, NordVPN indeed don't offer port forwards.

The router has to use my Apple MAC address as originally when I signed to the building, my account was associated with my phones MAC, and it's too much like hard work to get it changed again.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, without port forwarding support by the OpenVPN provider, there's no way to provide remote (i.e., unsolicited inbound) access over the VPN. There are ways to provide access via port 51413 over the *WAN*, namely port-based PBR (policy based routing), but I assume that's NOT acceptable since it minimally exposes you as a seeder.

That's why the choice of OpenVPN provider matters. All too often I see reviews that discuss performance, logs vs. no logs, etc., but rarely this issue. It's usually *after* someone has gotten committed to a VPN provider they find out the bad news.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will have a look at other VPN providers as the mantra of torrents is to share and share alike, at the moment I can obviously only take, unless as you have stated I expose myself through the WAN rather than everything going through the VPN.

Yes, I never even considered the port forwarding when I signed up for Nord. Infact it's only now I really realised the problem. On my old router, just getting it working was a major feat. It's only now with the R7800 that I am getting to be picky and try and make the setup as good as possible.

Thanks again for the help
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Easy port forwarding and having WireGuard on the router are for me criteria to take into account, NordVPN does not have either of them I think Sad
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
One last thing to keep in mind.

Not all VPN providers who support port forwarding are created equal. PIA, for example, is (imo) awful. They only support it within a limited subset of their servers. And it requires implementing their API so you can determine the port (and they only alone *one*) at runtime (i.e., dynamically). It's done this way (at least according to them) to minimize the chances of anyone tracing a given server+port back to you. But it's a major hassle to implement when dealing w/ the router. What is much preferred is something like AirVPN (there are others, I'm just using them as an example) which provide a simple means, via their website, to define your port(s) *statically*.

https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I did see while searching that PIA appeared to be giving a lot of people trouble.

I will have a bit of a research into it, as at the moment it's only causing a problem with outgoing torrents, but in time I had hoped to put a webserver on the router.

I haven't looked into wireguard, so I will do that too.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
i haven seen a VPN that permits outgoing torrent (upload) yet... and very few permit torrenting at all..
but PIA does permit torrents, DL is no problem...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
i haven seen a VPN that permits outgoing torrent (upload) yet

https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
i haven seen a VPN that permits outgoing torrent (upload) yet

https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

well... PIA also permit it, but the speed is so symbolic Rolling Eyes Laughing
as well most of the torrent managers, do support upload encryption, so ISP cannot catch it...and you dont need VPN for torrenting at all..but i guess, few countries go manic about torrents and there you go...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nord certainly hasn't stopped me downloading torrents, but yes, without port forwarding, there is no uploading.
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would using a proxy help circumnavigate the lack of port forwarding actually?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm i guess you have to sort those settings on the torrent manager, if im not wrong, as well your VPN provider must support it..

https://proprivacy.com/vpn/guides/vpn-port-forwarding-guide

https://proprivacy.com/vpn/guides/use-vpn-torrenting

and those questions are not DDWRT related any-more, so very likely you will end up your thread here...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: