New Build - 04/19/2021 - r46395

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fonzi wrote:
Its beginning to become something of a fact for most, that if you have the WRT1900ACS V2, Apple devices in your infrastructure and flash anything later than build 46069, you will eventually run in to the kernel crashes.

I believe it's exactly the same for the WRT1900ACSv1 & ACSv2 (and therefore also for the ACv2, but perhaps not the ACv1). Both of our ACSv1 and ACSv2 failed after about the same time up, but it just so happened that I wasn't able to collect a log from the ACSv1 last night, but only from the ACSv2 (eventually).

Since I have both, I'll continue testing on one but not the other. My household wasn't happy when both went down yesterday, but I actually dodged the bullet since at least it was after work. Lesson learned.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Someone needs to find a bona-fide working wi-fi settings configuration that works with Apple devices and is fully supported by the Marvell drivers and post a @#$%^&*! write-up. Because the settings everyone is using is obviously *not* working.

I'd feel strange posting a write-up when I don't know WHY it's working, but I could perhaps post a lightly redacted copy of my nvram configuration that still works with r46069. If I do, I guess I should probably just add it to the end of the r46069 thread.

AFAIK, no one has had any build after that working with mixed Apple/other clients for a full day or more without serious issues.

I think some who've gone back to r44048 probably have issues with the newer builds, including r46069 if we can still call that newer, due to nvram incompatibilities. So I *think* a switch from r44048 to r46069 *might* work for all *if* reconfigured from scatch (or at least from a same-build restore to a build in the r45xxx range prior to upgrading to r46069 without reset).

But as far as builds after r46069, if there *is* a config that could work with them, I don't think anyone's stumbled onto it yet (and frankly, the chances of that ever happening are dropping fast as we lose more would-be testers to r44048 and/or completely different hardware - and yes, I've been considering the latter too).

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros

Last edited by o2bad455 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:34; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Fonzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Someone needs to find a bona-fide working wi-fi settings configuration that works with Apple devices and is fully supported by the Marvell drivers and post a @#$%^&*! write-up. Because the settings everyone is using is obviously *not* working.

I seriously doubt it is about settings actually. As per instruction here i flashed one of the problematic builds and started "blank" with first thing adding password and changing the IP range. In my manual work I came as far as adding the wireguard clients - when I got the crash again. Additionally its clear that something happened after build 46069. That one works, regardless of Wifi-settings or IOS clients. So I have given the advice to go to that build, if you want something fairly new - that is stable. Still it would be preferable to be able to check out the later builds as well.
Fonzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
o2bad455 wrote:

But as far as builds after r46069, if there *is* a config that could work with them, I don't think anyone's stumbled onto it yet (and frankly, the chances of that ever happening are dropping fast as we lose more would-be testers to r44048 and/or completely different hardware - and yes, I've been considering the latter too).

I for one, would really like to contribute to get DD-WRT stable on the WRT1900++. I just bought it (Bad research - I know), and that router replaced a TPLINK WDR4300 which was running DD-WRT > 10 years - without any problems - it just got better with each DD-WRT upgrade! I like DD-WRT, that's the only reason I keep engaging in this. I am running an access point on a Linksys EA6350v3 (IPQ4018 based) with OpenWrt, simply because DD-WRT does not support it. I manage it just fine, and it is and option for my WRT1900 as well - but feeling DD-WRT has been "loyal" to me during all these years - I really would prefer to use that on my main router as well - and if possible contribute to finding out whats going on here.

o2bad455 wrote:
..if there *is* a config that could work with them, I don't think anyone's stumbled onto it yet

To me explaining this with config issues doesn't make sense either.
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fonzi wrote:
I seriously doubt it is about settings actually. As per instruction here i flashed one of the problematic builds and started "blank" with first thing adding password and changing the IP range. In my manual work I came as far as adding the wireguard clients - when I got the crash again. Additionally its clear that something happened after build 46069. That one works, regardless of Wifi-settings or IOS clients. So I have given the advice to go to that build, if you want something fairly new - that is stable. Still it would be preferable to be able to check out the later builds as well.

I agree that it doesn't seem to be about settings for the current (e.g., r463xx) issues. But I think the trouble some folks have had moving from r44048 to r46069 might well be about settings.

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
kris18890
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've noticed that since going from r43516 > r46069 I was having the wifi isues that others have mentioned in the Apple thread on all my Apple devices connected to 4 of my routers (bitchbox, cookiejar, coffeejar, & teajar). I've also, in the last ~24 hours, deployed shelleybox running 46069 (was a "new" purchase with stock Linksys firmware flashed to r31544 then r46069) & have noticed the same issues. Other devices, such as various windows 10 laptops, Amazon FireSticks, Google ChromeCasts etc seem to not have had this issue, just the iOS devices.

EDIT: security is set to WPA2-PSK for both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz, where possible I'm using default wireless settings with the exception of "Regulatory Domain" in advanced settings, which I've changed from United States to United Kingdom.

Having read the advice of others I changed the DTIM interval from 1 > 3 on shelleybox & have noticed a definite improvement! I've changed the settings on my other routers but as they're at other locations (parents'/partner's) I'll test when I get the chance.

Hope this helps point people smarter than me in the right direction!

Chris Cool

My DD-WRT Routers:
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv2 - bitchbox (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - shelleybox (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - cookiejar (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - coffeejar (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - teajar (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Broadcom E3000 - switchbox (gateway) (r55003 - not in use/in storage)
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's quite a collection of WRT1900's @kris18890! Nice! Glad to hear DTIM=3 seems to be helping as well.

I just noticed that the log I recovered last night from our ACSv2 is much shorter than usual, and seems to lack the combined klog messages (as well as everything before the time the issue began). I suppose that's probably a symptom of the crash itself.

I obtained that log by installing the ssh client ConnectBot on the only device still connected, an old Android 7 phone, and saving messages to /jffs since I knew from previous experience that saving to /tmp wouldn't survive a reboot (to then be extracted with WinSCP per my usual procedure). There was probably a better way, but it was an unexpected issue and past my bedtime. Anyway, I don't think it would have made a difference, after the fact, in this case.

Question: For future testing, I'd like to mount a usb stick on the router and save the combined syslog and klog messages there so ideally they'd be preserved regardless of execution issues. Any hints as to how (or any ideas for preserving logs on the router itself that would persist through at least one reboot)?

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
kris18890
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
o2bad455 wrote:
That's quite a collection of WRT1900's @kris18890! Nice! Glad to hear DTIM=3 seems to be helping as well.

Heheh, tah @o2bad455, they're at various other places (partner's, parents', etc) as places need more than one AP in the house but need to be remotely/centrally managed, & my E3000s/E2000s were slowly starting to die...

Chris Cool

My DD-WRT Routers:
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv2 - bitchbox (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - shelleybox (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - cookiejar (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - coffeejar (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - teajar (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Broadcom E3000 - switchbox (gateway) (r55003 - not in use/in storage)

Last edited by kris18890 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 14:53; edited 1 time in total
PavelVD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
o2bad455 wrote:

Question: For future testing, I'd like to mount a usb stick on the router and save the combined syslog and klog messages there so ideally they'd be preserved regardless of execution issues. Any hints as to how (or any ideas for preserving logs on the router itself that would persist through at least one reboot)?

Add in Administration-->Commands-->Startup two lines at the very end:
Code:

sleep 30; DLOG=$(date +"/jffs/var/log/%F_%T.log"); killall syslogd;
cp /tmp/var/log/messages "$DLOG"; syslogd -L -s 8192 -O "$DLOG"

"/jffs/var/log/" - It's your way on an mounted flash drive.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
i installed 46395 from Stock firmware on my 1200ACv2 and configured a client bridge routed via 5ghz VHT80.

It works and got full speed with a wired pc.

But when i try to open Wireless_Basic.asp in the gui, the gui becomes unreachable. The bridge is still working for a few minutes while the gui is unreachable, but then the bridge looses connection.
When i reboot with power switch, the gui is reachable till i try to open Wireless_Basic.asp again.

This behavior does not happen with 44048 so i think its still the best firmware for 1200ACv2 in client modes.
Fonzi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
loretta80 wrote:

But when i try to open Wireless_Basic.asp in the gui, the gui becomes unreachable. The bridge is still working for a few minutes while the gui is unreachable, but then the bridge looses connection.
When i reboot with power switch, the gui is reachable till i try to open Wireless_Basic.asp again.

This behavior does not happen with 44048 so i think its still the best firmware for 1200ACv2 in client modes.

Sounds very familiar. Could you also flash the build 46069 and report back if that is stable on your setup. If so, we can also add the 1200ACv2 to the list of routers with kernel crashes after 46069, and maybe provide you with an advice about newer build that is usable.
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
PavelVD wrote:
Add in Administration-->Commands-->Startup two lines at the very end:
Code:

sleep 30; DLOG=$(date +"/jffs/var/log/%F_%T.log"); killall syslogd;

"/jffs/var/log/" - It's your way on an mounted flash drive.

This script works to store the log in the router's persistent jffs memory (after manually creating the log subdirectory), thanks!

But I have an issue because the time is not updating before log filename creation so the new log file gets the same name as the old log file and overwrites it on reboot anyway. That is, the log filename is being created before any ntp server connection (possibly due to my vpn connection delay).

There's also a less important time-related issue where the times no longer proceed in order. The logged times used to start with 1969 December 31 and then switch to current local time as soon as ntp connected; but now it appears to jump back and forth between different time zones after ntp connects, none of which are mine.

Does anyone know how to fix one or both of these timing issues? The new log filename and file are almost always being created at Dec 31 19:01:06.

EDIT: Surprisingly, the first issue seems to be resolved simply with switching to dd-wrt's default ntp servers by leaving that field blank (instead of typing "pool.ntp.org" or the like). As for the second issue, attached is a slightly renamed (since Windows doesn't allow ":" and this forum doesn't accept upload of ".log" type files) old release log illustrating the issue (noting the erroneous 4-hour jumps between Apr 23 and Apr 24).

EDIT #2: It looks like the problem is that the kernel reports a timezone of -0000 (per the log, apparently due to dd-wrt defaults since this wasn't an issue with the local ntp specifically set as above) while I've nvram set time_zone to US/Eastern. Is there a way to set or reset the kernel timezone to match, or should I just set my timezone to GMT and be done with it?

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
loretta80
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fonzi wrote:

Sounds very familiar. Could you also flash the build 46069 and report back if that is stable on your setup. If so, we can also add the 1200ACv2 to the list of routers with kernel crashes after 46069, and maybe provide you with an advice about newer build that is usable.

No problem. Is it better to flash 46069 from 46395 or from stock?
At which point should i do the factory reset with the button or via gui, so that will be a really clean flash?

P.S. the router runs 1 day on 46395 now, and today i can open the Wireless_Basic.asp without a crash.
And no errors in syslog. So maybe boot_wait is to long or something like that?
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
loretta80 wrote:
No problem. Is it better to flash 46069 from 46395 or from stock?
At which point should i do the factory reset with the button or via gui, so that will be a really clean flash?

P.S. the router runs 1 day on 46395 now, and today i can open the Wireless_Basic.asp without a crash.
And no errors in syslog. So maybe boot_wait is to long or something like that?

It shouldn't matter, but flashing from r46395 back to r46069 can be done without nvram reset (e.g., if your configuration is complex and you don't want to manually re-configure), but NOT back to r44048 without reset.

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
PavelVD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
o2bad455 wrote:

This will probably solve both of your problems:
Code:
sleep 90; DLOG=$(date +"/jffs/var/log/%F_%T.txt"); killall syslogd;

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
PavelVD wrote:
This will probably solve both of your problems:
Code:
sleep 90; DLOG=$(date +"/jffs/var/log/%F_%T.txt"); killall syslogd;

Thanks! That did allow enough time to reliably reach the custom ntp server, but still didn't resolve the un-ordered timestamp discrepancies, which I think were stemming from klogd (always at Greenwich Mean Time) and syslogd (bouncing between my local timezone and whatever klogd had last reported).

To reduce boot time, I'm using the dd-wrt default ntp server (by leaving custom blank) and I'm back to your first suggestion of sleep 30. I changed my timezone to Greenwich and now the timestamps are all consistent. For Windows use (doesn't allow ":" in filenames), I've also stripped out the ":" from the time string in your filename generator with:
Code:
DLOG=$(date +"/jffs/var/log/%F_%T.txt" | tr -d ':');

So the persistent log is working well, and I think I'm prepared to record the next crash (currently testing r46446). Thank you!

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: