Repeater and VPN.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 16:18    Post subject: Repeater and VPN. Reply with quote
I am currently running a WRT54G-TM, which I have been running for many years. It serves as a repeater from a communal wireless network, and tunnels all traffic out from my network through VPN to NordVPN.

Just recently I updated the firmware, and now with both MMC/SD mod broken, and VPN not working, I am at a crossroads, where I can either turn back and try and set up everything back to it's 2012 build where everything was working, or I can accept it's had a good innings, and purchase a new router.

My question is, are any of the new routers going to be an issue with the 3 main things I need it for. Repeater, VPN Access, and I also use the SD Mod on my current one as a File Server (I did also used to have transmission running too, which was very useful if possible).

I quite like the sound of either staying with Linksys WRT1900ACM or WRT320ACM or possibly switching to Netgear with the R7800.

Would I be able to do the above with these routers, or are there any known issues.

Many thanks.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800, R9000 or an older used R7500v2, or EA8500 (serial), these are top routers with open source drivers.

Modern Linksys Marvell-based WRT series is a long history of known wifi problems, so do research or regret.
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I did see varied reports on whether the Linksys ones worked properly on not.

I will have a closer look at the Netgear ones.

It's awkward trying to update from the WRT54-TM, as it's been near enough bulletproof.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
nowadays R7800 is the bulletproof one...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
nowadays R7800 is the bulletproof one...

Thank you. On paper it does kind of grab me as the most likely replacement for the WRT54G-TM.

I will get eBaying.
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, it just happened.

Assuming the eBayer sends it, and it arrives safely, I have just made the jump to an R7800.
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:03    Post subject: Re: Repeater and VPN. Reply with quote
StillBlue wrote:
I am currently running a WRT54G-TM, which I have been running for many years. It serves as a repeater from a communal wireless network, and tunnels all traffic out from my network through VPN to NordVPN.

Just recently I updated the firmware, and now with both MMC/SD mod broken, and VPN not working, I am at a crossroads, where I can either turn back and try and set up everything back to it's 2012 build where everything was working, or I can accept it's had a good innings, and purchase a new router.

My question is, are any of the new routers going to be an issue with the 3 main things I need it for. Repeater, VPN Access, and I also use the SD Mod on my current one as a File Server (I did also used to have transmission running too, which was very useful if possible).

I quite like the sound of either staying with Linksys WRT1900ACM or WRT320ACM or possibly switching to Netgear with the R7800.

Would I be able to do the above with these routers, or are there any known issues.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Good for you to have it replaced by a R7800.

But I wonder such a old router with BCM535 running at 200Mhz,tunnel a VPN and running transmission?

What's the speed via NordVPN with such a weak CPU and transmission in the same time?
Can hardly believe it that it's not stuck.
But you said it worked well with the old firmware.

Pls share with more details,thanks.
atifak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
StillBlue wrote:
Actually, it just happened.

Assuming the eBayer sends it, and it arrives safely, I have just made the jump to an R7800.

Good for you. Btw which VPN client were you using on your WRT54G-TM?
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was using OpenVPN on the WRT54G-TM. I was using quite an old build 2012 when OpenVPN worked properly. Speed wise with the router overclocked to 250mhz, I was getting about 3mbps, which obviously used to be enough, but nowadays is a bit of a struggle.

I have just put DD-WRT on my R7800, only to the horror of finding there is no repeater mode, the one thing that was very important, as I use a communal WiFi which the WRT54G-TM connects to, but keeps all my network safely behind it with all incoming and outgoing traffic via the tunnel.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please make a new thread in the appropriate forum and yes Atheros based hardware is fully capable of wifi bridging and wifi linked routed modes solutions.

Perhaps look at the wikis: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

To get the best out of DDWRT and the forum read the forum guidelines with helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Please make a new thread in the appropriate forum and yes Atheros based hardware is fully capable of wifi bridging and wifi linked routed modes solutions.

Perhaps look at the wikis: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

To get the best out of DDWRT and the forum read the forum guidelines with helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Thank you. I am just having a quick look around, and if I can't get my head round it, I will start to ask some questions.

**EDIT** Got is sorted. It's up and running and doing everything the WRT54G-TM did.

Needs a bit of fine tuning I expect, but looking good.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: