WRT54G v8 Crashes repeatedly with ddwrt 24.RC3 - 24.RC5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mrvalue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11    Post subject: WRT54G v8 Crashes repeatedly with ddwrt 24.RC3 - 24.RC5 Reply with quote
I know most people don't like to read long posts so I'll summarize at the top:

* Lately my WRT54G v8 router has been crashing once about every 30-50 minutes
* Crashing involves the router becoming completely unreachable and no webpages are accessible.
* I was running 24.RC5 and experienced similar issues even after downgrading to 24.RC3
* Unable to tolerate the crashes, I've reverted to Linksys firmware and have had no crashes since
* Has anyone seen this problem, know how to fix it, or is this a unique problem? (I really like DD-WRT but currently I can't tolerate having it crash so frequently)

Here's the longer version for reference or if you're interested:

I have been using dd-wrt since I got my router back in August. The router has worked fairly well until recently it has been crashing frequently (at least once every 30 minutes while in use).

The problem: the router will suddenly stop responding. It is no longer pingable, connected computers cannot obtain an IP and Windows reports "Limited or no connectivity." No websites will load and the dd-wrt management page will not either. The only viable solution to continue using the router is to unplug it, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in to reboot. The wireless will not engage until I have gone to the wireless settings, hit apply and then doing a soft reboot. The sheer frequency of these reboots is completely intolerable.

I have been upgrading the firmware as it has become availble and the number and frequency of crashes has increased over the time I've owned and used the router. I haven't been able to pin down a reason for the crashes and have feared it may be a hardware issue. However, I have not experienced any crashes since reverting to the Linksys firmware so I suspect there is a problem with dd-wrt.

I hadn't had so many issues with it until I returned from a week long Thanksgiving vacation. When I returned, the router would crash about once every 1-3 hours. The frequence has been increasing since, and lately has been every 30-50 min. Thinking it may be due to a problem with the RC5 firmware, I downgraded to RC3 but still had the same issues.

I currently run Vista Ultimate on my computer and tested to see it was the cause of the crashes. However the router still went down while using my roommate's comptuer running Windows XP. I haven't torrents in a long time, at least not since the crashing became so bad. I've had numerous therories about what it could be, mostly involving too many connections being sent to the router and it not being able to handle it. However so far, none of the theories has panned out as a clear cause.

The one thing though that made me suspect Vista was that my computer opened a lot of connections directly to the router for seeminly no reason. I saw these in through dd-wrt's status pages. This lead to my theories of the router being overloaded, however the router would often crash with as few as 80 active connections.

I have since reverted my firmware to Linksys firmware v8.00.2 which I got from their homepage. I have only been using it for a few hours, but so far the router is working fine and haven't gotten any crashes. So this leads me to believe that the problem not hardware but software, and it is a problem with dd-wrt.

Has anyone experienced similar problems and know of a solution or is this something that needs to be looked into? Thanks.
Sponsor
wbn_mn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 21:17    Post subject: Mine is too Reply with quote
My v8 has same problem. Anyone help us. Urgently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My router is not working more than 1-3 minute.
GLM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am experiencing an odd issue with this device, as soon as I both this wrt54g v8 i flashed it to rc5 and after putting some load on it i started experiencing very slow access to the control panel and the router eventually rebooted. :: Annoying ::

I reversed to the latest firmware and it wont answer to http when heavy loads (bittorrent) but I guess it isnt restarting anymore.

This is very disappointing... the WEB UI not responding??

I have seen a V3.1 In the office and it run flawlessly comparted to this one.
mrvalue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I may have solved it. So after reverting to Linksys firmware, I have reinstalled DD-WRT 24 RC5. I've been playing with the thought that this is a hardware issue so this time I didn't change the wireless transimit power like I normally do. And now the router works great!

I'm pretty sure that was the solution, but to confirm this, I'd appreciate it if other people with the same problems on their WRTGv8 could try setting the wireless power to somewhere between 20-40 and see if that fixes things. Otherwise I may have unknowingly corrected the real problem and I may be liable to bring the problem back it in the future.

Now that it's running properly, DD-WRT is awesome! Smile
Octo8591
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have been having the same issue with a WRT54GS V8 that I'm pushing harder than it probably should be. Can confirm previous posts that turning down TX power to 20 increased stability. At TX 70 I couldn't even hold a 10min sip call without the router becoming completely unresponsive to anything but a power cord pull. Not sure about what kind of mileage I'll get from here but this has helped when nothing else has. It's been several hours of Google today....

I'm wondering if this is something to do with the age of equipment
1. Power supply not able to keep up/put out enough amps (I think I have a aftermarket one not the actual linksys one)
2. Maybe the v8 was never meant to run at TX 70 so is physically overheating?
3. Maybe older capacitors aren't able to maintain a stable current under heavier demands?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not necessarily documented in the device wiki (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54Gv8), but it is well known that these older routers eventually deteriorate, especially the capacitors on the SoC board. Please consider reading and researching more and stop reviving old threads with confirmations of issues described. Refer to the forum rules and guidelines. Thank You.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: