R9000 Not doing the trick for major signal issues in house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
pan0phobik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel like if I can't connect to 2.4 when I'm standing right next to it, my radio is bad. And I'm wayyyy too far out for warranty.

I am at the point where I just want to replace it with something that will just work. Ubiquiti?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine is an expensive ethernet-only router as all of the wifi refuses to come up. I haven't done any command-line tinkering to see if I can force it to work. Mine was second-hand, so it was probably already flaking out.

Depends on what you want to do as far as your network on what to get, as well as if you want to run DD-WRT on it.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
pan0phobik wrote:
I feel like if I can't connect to 2.4 when I'm standing right next to it, my radio is bad. And I'm wayyyy too far out for warranty.

I am at the point where I just want to replace it with something that will just work. Ubiquiti?

Please post pictures of your Status>Wireless>Wireless status section for Ath0 (Wlan0/5ghz) and Ath1(Wlan1/2.4ghz).

Keep the pixture size to 768 pixels wide please or post full size images using imgur and a link to the pictures there.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Send it back to Netgear for repair or replacement (I know you are out of warranty).
pan0phobik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
pan0phobik wrote:

Please post pictures of your Status>Wireless>Wireless status section for Ath0 (Wlan0/5ghz) and Ath1(Wlan1/2.4ghz).

Keep the pixture size to 768 pixels wide please or post full size images using imgur and a link to the pictures there.

Ath0 - https://imgur.com/gFtbpPw
Ath1 - https://imgur.com/OoZ1U5E

blkt wrote:
Send it back to Netgear for repair or replacement (I know you are out of warranty).

Do you have an idea of what that would cost? We have the money to buy something better if there is such a thing. Not that I'm looking to waste money but if I'm going to have to shell out cash anyway, I might as well go the extra 10 yards and upgrade while I'm at it.

Thank you guys for the support and I apologize for my slow responses. This is a problem I've had for years and am trying to finally slay once and for all so this means a lot. This board is great.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Every time I read the original post and subsequent dd-wrt experience it screams to me hardware failure.

Have you already tried relocating the router, the various reset methods, back to stock, and all that stuff?

R9000 is top of the line for DD-WRT (and R7800) without going all out and upgrading to x86 PC platform.

Maybe get a repair quote from Netgear and compare to the used condition market, but it can be a gamble.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
pan0phobik wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
pan0phobik wrote:

Ath0 - https://imgur.com/gFtbpPw
Ath1 - https://imgur.com/OoZ1U5E

blkt wrote:

Do you have an idea of what that would cost? We have the money to buy something better if there is such a thing. Not that I'm looking to waste money but if I'm going to have to shell out cash anyway, I might as well go the extra 10 yards and upgrade while I'm at it.

Thank you guys for the support and I apologize for my slow responses. This is a problem I've had for years and am trying to finally slay once and for all so this means a lot. This board is great.

Try changing the SSID to something straight aplha characters with no spaces or numbers and make both radios the same name and follow the wifi settings guide for beacon interval and see what that yields. Your SSID is suspect for possible issues. Keep it simple... "SilenceOftheLan"

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try default "Mixed" wireless network mode; start with defaults in general but do not use Auto wireless channel.

Build r45820 features advanced settings firmware type; try vanilla firmware options both radios (save & apply).

Keep configuration simple before branching out slowly, so you know where to troubleshoot settings behaviors.
pan0phobik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't take this as me disregarding any advice given but how likely is it that the name or another setting will be the fix for this?

I only ask because I'm extremely weary to change the SSID again. It was a nightmare setting up my smart home stuff again after going to DD-WRT. I still have a few things I haven't set back up actually.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only way to prove it is not a hardware problem is to relocate and/or start over.

It was fine in the first week of dd-wrt then something happened, a settings change?

All we can do is give advice, and for troubleshooting mine is to go slow and simple.

That includes SSID and my previous post.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based on the pictures, only 4 clients were on the 5ghz radio and your channel selection was funky for sure showing 157+155.... you should either be using 149+UU or 161+LL. Using the middle channels for the main carrier pose a lot of problems on clients.

5ghz signals need lots of open air to work well. If you have the router near lots of metal and walls...it's no wonder wifi works wonky.

Location of the router is key.
Then the settings...using auto rate on 2.4ghz is asking for trouble.

you really need to do some homework and read about the settings to use again.

I am not convinced you have a hardware issue... sorry to be so blunt...but time and time again people say one thing and do another thing and then are surprised.... The best wifi settings is based off the R9000 I use as a daily driver and it never misses a beat with the settings in the pictures. Albeit, I don't have any ancient clients with buggy/old drivers.

[R7800] resting
pan0phobik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
The only way to prove it is not a hardware problem is to relocate and/or start over.

It was fine in the first week of dd-wrt then something happened, a settings change?

All we can do is give advice, and for troubleshooting mine is to go slow and simple.

That includes SSID and my previous post.

This is exactly why I asked to clarify.

No, no settings changes. It was similar to how it was when I first bought the router. Worked AMAZINGLY. A wireless connection was almost exactly on par with my wired connections when comparing data transfer rates, everyone had solid reliable signals and it felt like over a month+ the signal got worse and worse until we realized no one can stay connected reliably anymore. Initially rebooting the router helped it, but now that has almost no effect.

msoengineer wrote:
Based on the pictures, only 4 clients were on the 5ghz radio and your channel selection was funky for sure showing 157+155.... you should either be using 149+UU or 161+LL. Using the middle channels for the main carrier pose a lot of problems on clients.

5ghz signals need lots of open air to work well. If you have the router near lots of metal and walls...it's no wonder wifi works wonky.

Location of the router is key.
Then the settings...using auto rate on 2.4ghz is asking for trouble.

you really need to do some homework and read about the settings to use again.

I am not convinced you have a hardware issue... sorry to be so blunt...but time and time again people say one thing and do another thing and then are surprised.... The best wifi settings is based off the R9000 I use as a daily driver and it never misses a beat with the settings in the pictures. Albeit, I don't have any ancient clients with buggy/old drivers.

No need to be sorry. I appreciate blunt, direct communication. Tomorrow I will go over the settings and recommendations for how I should have this set up properly.

Some back story

Router is over 3 years old and we've had it set up on two different floors of the house with the exact same results.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree, 5 GHz at 149UU or 36UU (161LL or 48LL) and 2.4 GHz 1, 6, or 11 (usually). I use 20 MHz, 149 & 1.

Slowly walk back or revert settings to default or safe settings; if no effect then the next would be a reset.

WebGUI administration has factory defaults, but this method is sometimes not thorough for some reason.

Hardware reset button is held 10 seconds while powered on and fully booted, release and allow to reboot.

Command line or Telnet reset is "nvram erase && reboot" from Telnet as username root (without quotes).
pan0phobik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Agree, 5 GHz at 149UU or 36UU (161LL or 48LL) and 2.4 GHz 1, 6, or 11 (usually). I use 20 MHz, 149 & 1.

Slowly walk back or revert settings to default or safe settings; if no effect then the next would be a reset.

WebGUI administration has factory defaults, but this method is sometimes not thorough for some reason.

Hardware reset button is held 10 seconds while powered on and fully booted, release and allow to reboot.

Command line or Telnet reset is "nvram erase && reboot" from Telnet as username root (without quotes).

After testing more recommended settings nothing has changed. Same frequency of failure here.

Any recommendations on what I could/should upgrade to? I'm feeling like nothing is going to work with this thing.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back in February I said hardware failure, but also looked around for recovery methods and bookmarked FAQ
for (modified stock) voxel firmware addon with a section for recovery troubleshooting commands. Since then,
the FAQ has been updated and expanded and this document may be useful to others or simply waste of time.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1234283#1227668

If already flashed a known working DD-WRT build for R9000, then nvram erase && reboot from Telnet as root,
and still have problems with the most basic wifi configuration this is essentially all you can do aside from going
to voxel modified stock firmware to further troubleshoot from command line or maybe ttl serial u-boot prompt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: