Problems with first setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Len316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32    Post subject: Problems with first setup Reply with quote
Router: TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r46316
Kernel: Linux 3.18.140-d5 #112471

New to this and I feel I'm missing something simple.

I have the Archer C7 wired to my primary modem and was using it for better Wifi (it worked). I want to use PIA through openVPN client on it so I flashed DD-WRT onto it.

I used the GUI to flash the factory-to-ddwrt.bin and then flashed tplink_archer-c7-v5.bin and did a normal 10 sec reset.

I can access the DD-WRT admin GUI on http://192.168.1.1/ but no matter what guide I follow I cannot get normal internet through it anymore.

I can see the wired and wireless clients connecting but there doesn't seem to be a connection through the gateway modem.
Is there a guide for this kind of setup ?

Cheers
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, why did you double-flash your router needlessly? All you needed to do was flash the factory-to-ddwrt file and then reset it and reboot and configure from there.

All of the VPN how-to's on this forum are under the Advanced Networking section.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PIA+openvpn+client+dd-wrt+forum.dd-wrt.com

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm...as far as PIA there are good guides made by egc follow those links KP-69 posted above...
PIA guide is messy and outdated...

But at first place, try to establish connection without VPN, so you know the router is working ok...
Last, bear in mind this router you have is very low on specs, in regards of VPN use it will deliver very poor performance like 10-12 Mbits speed over VPN...max...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
In addition to my esteemed fellow forum members
Not knowing if your ISP modem is bridged (do you have a public IP on your WAN) or if it is in router/gateway mode and if so is it already on 192.168.1.1?

So just a long shot:
Reset again
Only change the "Local IP address" from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1

Connect WAN port from Archer to LAN port of ISP modem/router

OpenVPN information is a sticky in the Advanced Networking forum see also my signature at the bottom of this post

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Len316
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
So, why did you double-flash your router needlessly?

Thats how I interpreted what the guides were advising to do.
Cheers - I'll go through those links

Alozaros wrote:
try to establish connection without VPN, so you know the router is working ok...

Thats definitely the plan.

Alozaros wrote:
Last, bear in mind this router you have is very low on specs, in regards of VPN use it will deliver very poor performance like 10-12 Mbits speed over VPN...max...

Didn't realise that - that might limit the usefulness of this but I'll keep going for the moment.
Hopefully I can get it going without PIA and then configure is for PIA and compare the differences.

egc wrote:
In addition to my esteemed fellow forum members
Not knowing if your ISP modem is bridged (do you have a public IP on your WAN) or if it is in router/gateway mode and if so is it already on 192.168.1.1?

In the setup I had the ISP modem is in modem mode (it has two modes - modem or router) with the C7 WAN port connected to one of the ISP router LAN ports.
The description on the ISP modem for mdem mode is "Modem mode disables the WiFi feature of the Hub 2.0, so you can connect your own wireless router."
I'm not sure if this means it is bridged or not.
Connected like this and before upgrading to DD-WRT the C7 appeared on 192.168.1.1 and the ISP modem on 192.168.0.1
After upgrading to DD-WRT they still appear on the same IP addresses but there is no connection through the C7.

Will try the suggestions asap.
Appreciate your help here guys !
wifijunkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Random thoughts:

- establish a login session with the DDWRT router, e.g., via telnet, SSH,

- try a few debugging commands there, e.g., ping, traceroute, check the routing table ("route" or other command)

- if tcpdump is supported in your build (it's not in all builds, so...) use it to monitor the DHCP transaction to your upstream device; look for disparities in the config for gateway, DNS server, offered IP address, etc.)
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Len316 wrote:

In the setup I had the ISP modem is in modem mode (it has two modes - modem or router) with the C7 WAN port connected to one of the ISP router LAN ports.
The description on the ISP modem for mdem mode is "Modem mode disables the WiFi feature of the Hub 2.0, so you can connect your own wireless router."
I'm not sure if this means it is bridged or not.

Modem Mode : your ISP device does not create a private network on the LAN Port(s) nor does activate DHCP. Modem has one in and one network out, maybe only one LAN port is working in Modem mode. Did you check that PPPoE is working on your installed build ? You may check that with a different build i.e r41791
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: