Add DIR-819 support to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
niko_xx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ian5142,

I am not sure how exactly you have prepared your modified firmware, so please excuse me if I say anything you already know.

In order to port dd-wrt to a new board, there is generally quite a lot to do. These are the steps I followed for the DIR-819:

1. Download dd-wrt source
2. Download buildroot (for cross compiling build environment)
3. Download D-Link 819 gpl source (I needed this for the wireless drivers)
4. Decide on a linux version (I used 3.10) and download source
5. Set up configuration (.config and makefile). This will probably involve some guessing and finger crossing. I used the gpl config as a starting point)
6. make (config, menuconfig, just make, and install)
7. I then had to fudge the build of the .img and .bin from the kernel, rootfs and bootloader because the 819 d-link firmware uses every trick in the book to make it hard. I modified their mkimage script for that. This is where you encounter magic number type problems (or CRC checks etc.).
8. Test and fix stuff that doesn't work, like driver differences and startup code in .../router/services/...
9. Be prepared for people to find stuff that still doesn't work properly Wink

I think it would be extremely hard to do without console access to the router; the 819 has a serial console but I had to solder the pins on.

I hope this helps.
Sponsor
niko_xx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Fixed routing and MAC issues for dir-819 port Reply with quote
putznutz wrote:
WAN didn't work. MAC was incorrect and even cloned old address hoping that would do it. That didn't work.

Then used attached _org.bin to revert, and that took me to a softbrick. Had to set fixed IP to crash firmware recovery. Used original 1.01A from D-Link site to bring back to stock.

Hi again,

1. I have fixed the routing problem (hard to pin down, easy to fix)
    2. I have also fixed the MAC problem which was down to finding where uboot had hidden it
    3. Fixed the update LED too which was always on and bugging me

I can see that going back to the original firmware was not working for you because I also modified the bootloader, and you will need to update from the img to get the changes (easy from console, not so easy otherwise, I can give instructions if you want).
I have appended the updated firmware as v2.
bitsofcode
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08    Post subject: Console Reply with quote
Late to the show, but I have an 819 that I am willing to experiment with.

I will be flashing this v2 firmware in the next few days and I'd like to know how to enable console as well. Thanks in advance!
panicol2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 19:20    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT for d-link DIR-819 Reply with quote
niko_xx wrote:
Hi,

I have ported DD-WRT to the DIR-819 and it seems to work ok. It is loosely v3.0 and linux v3.10.

I have appended a zip with the following:

DIR-819_ddwrt.bin
DIR-819_ddwrt.img
DIR-819_org.bin
DIR-819_org.img

The bins are for update (both work from the respective router web interfaces: d-link and dd-wrt) and the imgs are for rewriting the bootloader too. To write the imgs you will need access to the console, which implies soldering some pins onto the board (I fiddled a bit with the bootloader, more out of love for the English language than anything else Very Happy).

The _ddwrt are (obviously) dd-wrt and the _org are if you want to go back to the original firmware.

Disclaimer: This works on my DIR-819, it's not my fault if you brick yours. But most brickings can be fixed with access to the console. In the worst case, get an arduino and you can flash the EEPROM directly (which I have also tried and it works just fine).

I'm using the factory firmware version : 1.06, and your files don't work.
interprime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 13:42    Post subject: Re: Fixed routing and MAC issues for dir-819 port Reply with quote
niko_xx wrote:
putznutz wrote:
WAN didn't work. MAC was incorrect and even cloned old address hoping that would do it. That didn't work.

Then used attached _org.bin to revert, and that took me to a softbrick. Had to set fixed IP to crash firmware recovery. Used original 1.01A from D-Link site to bring back to stock.

Hi again,

2. I have also fixed the MAC problem which was down to finding where uboot had hidden it

I can see that going back to the original firmware was not working for you because I also modified the bootloader, and you will need to update from the img to get the changes (easy from console, not so easy otherwise, I can give instructions if you want).

How can i enable console on 819?
wipeout
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 21:25    Post subject: Re: Fixed routing and MAC issues for dir-819 port Reply with quote
niko_xx wrote:
putznutz wrote:

Hi again,

Please, can u give me instructions to go back to the original firmware from console?
NuviN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
We Really Need A DIR-819 A1 DD-WRT Firmware!
a092devs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37    Post subject: Re: Console Reply with quote
bitsofcode wrote:
Late to the show, but I have an 819 that I am willing to experiment with.

I will be flashing this v2 firmware in the next few days and I'd like to know how to enable console as well. Thanks in advance!

Any update?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope. I would have to email BrainSlayer to see if a device was ever sent to him. If not, the usual applies:

Hardware Donation

Router Support Detection

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: