Make a new option for BitTorrent Transmission Daemon Config

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ritam Banik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03    Post subject: Make a new option for BitTorrent Transmission Daemon Config Reply with quote
Router Model
Netgear R7000P
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r46259 std (04/03/21)
Kernel Version
Linux 4.4.264 #2426 SMP Sat Apr 3 09:01:58 +07 2021 armv7l

Dear developers,
For our critical moment of our life we are stay together. I believe god is tasting our humanities. We will win this fight.

I am using BitTorrent transmission for downloading. Its been three months of experience. I have schedule reboot every six hours. Every time transmission settings change its default value when its start. The settings.json file is modify by router is not stay on reboot. when the electricity came and go very fast (bump) the transmission user settings (settings.json) file change to default. We need a new option to fix this problem. When I move or delete big amount of data from USB store next reboot settings are change.

So, this reason we need a new option. Under the NAS add a new option name "BitTorrent: Transmission Daemon Config Lock".

Two hundred GB of downloaded data is corrupted because of this. It’s a big pain when it is last moment of finish download. In the pandemic my download is high. Nothing to do with.

Your sincerely
Friendly user
RB

Annotation 2021-04-07 102929.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.1 KB
 Viewed:  4861 Time(s)

Annotation 2021-04-07 102929.jpg

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Easy_torrenting_with_dd-wrt

I have *no* idea why you're rebooting your router every 6 hours, but this seems like a user config issue, or you are using a junk Chromium browser, not a firmware issue to me.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
He lives in a region with unstable power conditions and does not have an uninterruptable power supply.

Maybe a USB flash drive is the solution to store these settings?

https://www.howtogeek.com/100142/how-to-install-the-transmission-bitorrent-client-on-your-router-dd-wrt/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK nvram and webconfigs survive reboots. There shouldn't be an issue here if that wiki is followed, at least nobody has reported this before that I am aware of.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which wiki, this one? https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission_daemon

Wiki talks about installing optware transmission, howtogeek mentions opkg install, so these are outdated.

Edit: Found another dd-wrt wiki here. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Easy_torrenting_with_dd-wrt

Transmission Config Directory for settings.json is /mnt/sda/transmission_config
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Which wiki

kernel-panic69 wrote:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Easy_torrenting_with_dd-wrt

Rolling Eyes

----------------------
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having this issue too. If you modify the config file the router will replace it with default at some point.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The one thing I see in the wiki that is suspect is you will not see /mnt/sda; or rather, you cannot use it. It probably should be /mnt/sda1 which would be the properly formatted partition. Unless of course it automagically assumes sda1 within DD-WRT... nobody confirmed whether or not @blkt was correct here.

----------------------
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I first enabled transmission it assumed /mnt/sda, which is really bad and may have been the cause of my router hanging though I did change it to /mnt/sda1 and later the correct location /tmp/mnt/sda1. I am not having the hanging right now but this config replacement is so annoying. It will replace on reboot or clicking apply in the webgui transmission/usb page. Not sure what is the point of specifying a config location if it just wipes it...

Any suggestions for work arounds? I am thinking copying over on startup but then there is the apply settings as well and it may do that on other webgui pages, hell it may replace it every time the service is restarted. Where is the code for this? that is probably the best way to see what it is doing.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ask and ye shall receive (my best semi-educated guesses).

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/services/services/transmission.c

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/NAS.asp

The rest is likely via javascript and such regarding apply buttons, save, etc.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/lang_pack/english.js

----------------------
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems it remakes the config every time the service starts, and the service seems to restart anytime the watch dog wants. The code really needs to be changed on this, you need to be able to change transmissions config in settings.json

Can you watch for a service starting and have a script do something? I could try that and overwrite the settings.json

I found a simple solution, change the setting for the config location to somewhere it doesn't matter so the code can use that to wipe it. Disable transmission in the webgui. Then you can start the transmission binary with the startup script with the config-dir option example
Code:
transmissiond --config-dir /opt/transmission_config
just make sure the config files are at the location you use

You could also instead add this to your wireguard routeup script and a 'killall transmissiond' to the routedown for a kill switch
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
On further investigation it's transmissiond that is overwriting all of settings.json and not ddwrt. You need 'killall transmissiond' BEFORE editing it. When transmissiond closes it overwrites settings.json. Now ddwrt is also wiping the parts of settings.json it has options in the gui for. It does this not sure when. This wouldn't be a problem for me except it also uses an option in the gui for 'Transmission Download Directory' to change 2 settings in settings.json, one being 'download-dir' the appropriate setting the other being 'incomplete-dir'. This is not good if you want to use a different drive for 'incomplete-dir'. I need to use a different drive because I use an archive drive for the 'download-dir' and if you let the torrents construct on that it makes a lot of writes and a lot of writes severely fragments archive drives and makes them perform horribly.

It would be good to remove this extra setting creation. If you look at the code https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/services/services/transmission.c it just requires the deletion of lines 255,256 and 257

Who and where do I make this suggestion to?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will forward this to the developer via email.

----------------------
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks!
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49    Post subject: Re: Make a new option for BitTorrent Transmission Daemon Con Reply with quote
Ritam Banik wrote:
Router Model
Netgear R7000P
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r46259 std (04/03/21)
Kernel Version
Linux 4.4.264 #2426 SMP Sat Apr 3 09:01:58 +07 2021 armv7l

Dear developers,
For our critical moment of our life we are stay together. I believe god is tasting our humanities. We will win this fight.

I am using BitTorrent transmission for downloading. Its been three months of experience. I have schedule reboot every six hours. Every time transmission settings change its default value when its start. The settings.json file is modify by router is not stay on reboot. when the electricity came and go very fast (bump) the transmission user settings (settings.json) file change to default. We need a new option to fix this problem. When I move or delete big amount of data from USB store next reboot settings are change.

So, this reason we need a new option. Under the NAS add a new option name "BitTorrent: Transmission Daemon Config Lock".

Two hundred GB of downloaded data is corrupted because of this. It’s a big pain when it is last moment of finish download. In the pandemic my download is high. Nothing to do with.

Your sincerely
Friendly user
RB

but you know that the transmission config, no matter if broken/reset/overwritten etc. or not will never corrupt your data?

Navigation

Jump to: