Synology Routers (specifically the RT2600ac)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
derpaderp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:26    Post subject: Synology Routers (specifically the RT2600ac) Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

New poster here - read the readmes and Known Incompatible devices and checkded the latest beta to see if the router I am looking at is supported.

The Synology RT2600AC does not appear on the list in the latest beta, but it also does not seem to have any of the known incompatibilities (AFAIK it has no RJ-11 - the VoIP is simulated/software-based/QoS only).

Basic specs seem to be in line as well: Qualcomm Atheros IPQ8065 @ 1.7 GHz chipset, 512 MB RAM and 4 GB flash.

It has no integrated modem.

I was curious if this was for a technical reason or if no one has ever sent the dev team a device to test on? If the former, would be cool to understand the reasons why just to know. If the latter, I might be able to find a good used one to toss your way unless you need it new in box.

Or is it just a pretty good router + software on its own?

Derpaderp!
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I considered buying one to play with the stock firmware but these can be more expensive to find used.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33075-synology-rt2600ac-router-reviewed

"Unfortunately, its performance is weakest where you would want it to be strongest—5 GHz downlink."

Maybe this was fixed but Netgear R7800 is basically the same router without that massive NAND flash.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/SRM?model=RT2600ac It has an SD card slot too, neat.
derpaderp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

"Unfortunately, its performance is weakest where you would want it to be strongest—5 GHz downlink."

I had purchased it mostly for it's small-office/home-office capabilities. While it is decent at those, it can't go much further than the built-in capabilities (e.g. DDNS can't use a custom option, which was the last straw for me). Trying to figure out if I can flash this with DDWRT at some point so that I can actually use it effectively. It doesn't need to be super strong - I just need it to have the right features that it kinda claimed it had. It technically has them but only in narrow use cases.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a quote from a smallnetbuilder review. Who knows if still applies after four years, but it is mentioned.

You can use the contact link up top to email info dd-wrt com or email BrainSlayer directly about this model.

Who knows maybe hardware is already in physical possession and support never materialized for reasons.

Donations link is also top of page and consider the alternate and supported equivalent is a Netgear R7800.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: