Linksys WRT32X Very unstable when changing settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ruskie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 23:16    Post subject: Linksys WRT32X Very unstable when changing settings Reply with quote
I've got a Linksys WRT32X running DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20). The device seems very unstable at times.

Changing settings can cause:

- Web Interface not showing even after reboot. I have to factory reset
- Applying settings sometimes freezes the web interface. needs a reboot
- Wifi signal very weak until I reboot
- Applied settings rarely work without rebooting the device

Wifi settings as follows:

ath0 - Client Bridge (Routed), Auto (DHCP), AC-Only, WPA2 Personal PSK, CCMP-128 (AES)
ath1 - AP, Mixed, WPA2 Personal PSK, CCMP-128 (AES)
ath2 - AP, Mixed, WPA2 Personal PSK, CCMP-128 (AES)

If I manage to setup the device and get it working, its usually pretty stable. It's only when I need to change something I encounter problems.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pale Moon, Waterfox (3rd Gen 78 or Classic 56), Firefox ESR 78 Portable or Firefox ESR Legacy (68/52/45)

Use a Marvell fallback build r44048 or the newest available, either way verify a successful flash then reset.

Hard reset is hold 10 seconds while fully booted. CLI reset is "nvram erase && reboot" from Telnet as root.

08/02/2020 - r44048 - 3/09/2021 - r45955 - Manually reconfigure from scratch, so do not restore a backup.

Ath2/Wlan2/SD8887 is not to be used as an active radio or access point, only meant for DFS radar detection.

This is likely a source of instability, so disable wireless or physical interface in Wireless Network Mode option.
raywan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am WRT32x user and used wrt32x for 1 years. In the last year, some build was problematic which cause the httpd unstable when you logged in. You can try the recent build like DD-WRT v3.0-r45849 std (02/25/21). I used this build for more than 12 days without any problem. Please reset default after update.
Script_Kiddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 17:33    Post subject: WRT 32X Reply with quote
I also have been using DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT32X for the past couple years and yes, some builds are less stable than others.
I have found that every build will function for at least basic internet services but not always have all features working. Usually I will update to the latest Beta firmware and if that doesn't work with the configuration I want, I just revert back to a known working version and wait for future Beta builds.

My Contact Email: scryptic@startmail.com
Meljin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
IIRC, I thought ath0 was not supposed to be turned on/used or was that changed in builds? I have had varying stability issues myself, but usually just ends up no routing/WAN connectivity until a reboot.
Argenis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Meljin wrote:
IIRC, I thought ath0 was not supposed to be turned on/used or was that changed in builds? I have had varying stability issues myself, but usually just ends up no routing/WAN connectivity until a reboot.

You must've read a typo or misread, the one that's supposed to be disabled is ATH2 or WLAN2, depending on which version of the firmware (newer one changed the nomenclature).

SD8887 802.11ac disabled but visible on GUI and CLI
TX Power 18 dBm
Antenna Gain 0 dBi
U-APSD (Automatic Power Save)Enabled 
Protection Mode None
RTS Threshold Disabled
Short Preamble Disabled 
Short GI Enabled
Single User Beamforming Enabled
Multi User Beamforming Enabled 
AP Isolation Disabled
Beacon Interval 100
DTIM Interval 2
WMM Support Enabled 
Radar Detection Disabled 
ScanList default
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) 500 (Default: 500 meters)
Max Associated Clients 256 (Default: 256 Clients)
Minimum Signal for authenticate -128
Minimum Signal for connection -128
Poll Time for signal lookup 10
Amount of allowed low signals 3
Wireless security is WPA2 Personal CCMP-128 only
QAM256 is on
Meljin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, my mistake.

But OP has all three running, so I would think that would be the basis of their issues? It took me a fair bit of fighting to get my 32X working to the point of stability I have now so I can relate to their frustrations. Still, DD-WRT is leaps ahead of any manu firmwares so I would rather deal with these headaches then how gimped base firmwares are.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Concerning the GUI, check for any browser addons you may have or added recently (i.e. NoScript,HTTPS Everywhere,etc) and confirm your router ip address is "trusted" by any addons that block access. In the past I've had access to the GUI but when I Save/Applied the GUI would lock up and the changes would be lost.

The GUI appeared to be working as expected but "NoScript" would not allow my changes to be processed/delivered to the router. "Trusting" the router ip in NoScript fixes the problem.

This usually happens when I set up access to my router from another computer not remembering to trust the ip in certain addons or AV. Something to check . . .
ruskie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've upgraded the firmware to 46069 and it seems to have solved the problems I've been having. The web interface always shows without a factory reset. I've disabled the third radio.

However, This build has introduced another problem. The wifi drops at times. Should I revert to a more stable build like r44048?
Argenis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ruskie wrote:
I've upgraded the firmware to 46069 and it seems to have solved the problems I've been having. The web interface always shows without a factory reset. I've disabled the third radio.

However, This build has introduced another problem. The wifi drops at times. Should I revert to a more stable build like r44048?

Yes, with the 32X you'd probably want to keep stable only.

I had one of these that I retired because even though in theory it's just the same as the 3200ACM, builds didn't work as well for it, a lot more affected my 32X in weird ways.

I always kept the most stable one and upgraded maybe once or twice a year to the most stable versions.

SD8887 802.11ac disabled but visible on GUI and CLI
TX Power 18 dBm
Antenna Gain 0 dBi
U-APSD (Automatic Power Save)Enabled 
Protection Mode None
RTS Threshold Disabled
Short Preamble Disabled 
Short GI Enabled
Single User Beamforming Enabled
Multi User Beamforming Enabled 
AP Isolation Disabled
Beacon Interval 100
DTIM Interval 2
WMM Support Enabled 
Radar Detection Disabled 
ScanList default
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) 500 (Default: 500 meters)
Max Associated Clients 256 (Default: 256 Clients)
Minimum Signal for authenticate -128
Minimum Signal for connection -128
Poll Time for signal lookup 10
Amount of allowed low signals 3
Wireless security is WPA2 Personal CCMP-128 only
QAM256 is on
ruskie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, reverted to (alleged stable) r44048 build and still having GUI problems.

This is the process:

1. Factory Reset
2. Setup wlan1 to client bridge, AC Only, VHT80 (connecting to my ISP Router)
3. Setup wlan2 to AP, NG Mixed, Full (20 Hz), Auto Channel
4. The wlan2 interface never works at this point, it requires a reboot
5. Reboot router, although I can ping, SSH/Web GUI doesn't work.
6. Go to Step 1

I flashed to r46177 and the Web GUI is stable and I don't have to reboot to make the wlan2 appear. However, I get occasional drops, 2-3 times a day.

This all started when I upgraded to a beta build, r44715
I really wish I remember which build i came from so I can revert back!

I really should follow the rule, if it isn't broken - dont fix it!
ruskie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an update on this. I changed Wlan0 Client Bridge to network from AC Only to AC/N Mixed and I no longer have Wifi drops.

Im sticking to 46301 firmware.
ruskie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spoke to soon, still getting wifi drops!

Can somebody suggest a stable build, that doesn't drop the wifi and doesn't crash the web interface?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: