Best file format for NAS drive w/ nightly build > Feb2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 22:41    Post subject: Best file format for NAS drive w/ nightly build > Feb2021 Reply with quote
I'm looking to update my archer C8 to a newer nightly build but have been reluctant because of the issues people are having with drives connected to the router and not being accessible via Windows 10 because of the new NFTS driver.

I am willing to format my external hard drive to a different format to improve stability. Currently my drive is setup as NTFS and I use mainly window 10 machines and plex on one of the computer which is then streamed via a Google home TV.

The NAS is essential for my use so I can transfer important files between computer for work.

I saw some work around by setting a username and password but prefer to use as a guest as my fiancé does not want to access it via a specific login.

What's the best file format people are currently using to have a workable NAS?

I'm currently on vr45592 (01/28/21) and need to update as I'm having random internet drops through out the day.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
r41813 is just before in-kernel Samba; r45592 is the last before NTFS drivers changed.

Next build will have ksmbd 3.3.8 and other changes, including an NTFS3 driver update.

I saw a few changes about guest access, 46287 and 46288, YMMV we are beta testers.

I do not use samba features but assume the native linux file systems are better suited.

The best solution would be to create an external NAS or share somewhere else on LAN.
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
r41813 is just before in-kernel Samba; r45592 is the last before NTFS drivers changed.

Next build will have ksmbd 3.3.8 and other changes, including an NTFS3 driver update.

I saw a few changes about guest access, 46287 and 46288, YMMV we are beta testers.

I do not use samba features but assume the native linux file systems are better suited.

The best solution would be to create an external NAS solution somewhere else on LAN.

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you mean by create a new external NAS solution somewhere else on LAN?

I was thinking of using the Ext4 format but windows 10 doesn't play nice with it aside from using third party software to have access to such a Linux file format, right?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=NAS+solution

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=file+share+windows

How to access files on Linux from Windows 10 with a Samba Share

Remember DD-WRT is Linux and Samba is accessing the file system directly, not Windows.
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=NAS+solution

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=file+share+windows

Thanks for the advice but spending money at the moment wouldn't be possible. I already have cloud storage as a back up but it's no where as fast as my current nas setup plus wouldn't work with plex.

Im willing to put up with it for a while but do you think that this issue with the NTFS3 driver and samba issues will be fixed anytime soon? Or is this the new norm?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Always a work in progress, your guess is as good as mine. It is a side feature, nothing critical for a router.

Why not set up a windows file share?
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Always a work in progress, your guess is as good as mine. It is a side feature, nothing critical for a router.

Why not set up a windows file share?

Do you mean something like mountainduck? I have that setup for the cloud storage but it is a no go for the plex set up unfortunately.

And I just notice that I posted on the Atheros hardware forum but meant to post it on the broadcom section as I am using an archer c8 but all the information provide still holds true.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I think he means a shared folder on Windows 10, one of the PCs / Laptops on your LAN....
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Actually, I think he means a shared folder on Windows 10, one of the PCs / Laptops on your LAN....

Oh I see but then I would have to keep a computer on all the time, right?
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
First you say C7 then C8, oh well.

Internet drops? WAN side or Wifi network?

I keep all my important files on a dedicated NAS/Raid box not intrusting them to an intermittent router. The NAS can also run a Plex server if desired.

I have a USB SSD on my R9000 but, it's only used to host YAMon.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:

Thanks for noticing this. I saw the C7 and was thinking it may be a typo, but did not question it or notice the later mention of C8. I corrected the OP and moved the topic to the proper forum.
llFawkes17ll wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Oh I see but then I would have to keep a computer on all the time, right?

Correct, unless you didn't need the share up 24/7.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:

Internet drops? WAN side or Wifi network?

I keep all my important files on a dedicated NAS/Raid box not intrusting them to an intermittent router. The NAS can also run a Plex server if desired.

I have a USB SSD on my R9000 but, it's only used to host YAMon.

It's on the wan side as I have 90% connected via ethernet and that goes down too. I have connected the isp 3 times and they have done multiple tests on their side and all come back clear on their side.

I don't have a separate nas just a drive connected via USB. I do have 3 separate copies of all the files which is why I am willing to reformat the USB drive which is connected to the router if needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: