Connect DD-WRT Linksys WRT3200 to Linksys MR9000

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
It is like @eibgrad says no network discovery between subnets.
You can reach clients from upstream to downstream but only when using the IP address.

If you want that I have attached instructions how to do that.

I do not have instructions to use a VPN on a WAP but in essence it is as simple as setting the gateway on the clients to point to the WAP as @eibgrad explained.

A description to do that with WireGuard is in the WireGuard Advanced Setup guide: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397 have a look at the paragraph:
Quote:
Client side, setup local LAN clients to use the WAP

To see how you can setup clients to use a WAP

I had to look up Wireguard as I didn't know what that was. So it is a VPN company. I have IPVanish that I am paying for already.

"setting the gateway on the clients to point to the WAP". Is the "client" the dd-wrt router? and how do I point it to a WAP? And if I manage to understand and do this then I can share files and printers for all the computers in the house while still being able to use IPVanish Open VPN when I need it?

I can do most of this stuff with explicit step by step instructions but a generalized statement is beyond me without step by step instructions. I am self taught on all this stuff, spending hours reading how to documents to soak it all in. If they would have had computers in the classrooms back when I was in high school I would have loved to have made a career of this type of stuff but as it I'm pushing retirement and feel greatful that I manage to do what I've done so far.

Thank you,
Cindy
Sponsor
Cold-Lemonade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Cindy62707.

I'm a newbie too and feel your pain. Sorry I can't help solve your current challenge. However, I want to clarify something. I think the WireGuard people are referring to is not a VPN service.

WireGuard is VPN protocol like OpenVPN. If you activate WireGuard (or OpenVPN) in your dd-wrt router then you can configure it so that you can access your home local network from anywhere in the world using your laptop or smartphone.

Here's more on WireGuard: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397

Best wishes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: