Linking Two Networks?

CJ1045
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:46    Post subject: Linking Two Networks? Reply with quote
We have two phone lines into our house, one business, one personal. They will both have separate broadband next week. Each has a DD-WRT flashed router. My intention is to spread the broadband load between the two routers by having two networks. The idea being that when daughter streams a film the business is unaffected on the other network. As we have two phone lines and, in the UK, it is pretty much as cheap to have broadband/call plan/line rental as it is just a call plan line rental it seems a no brainer to have two broadband packages. It also gives us a small amount of backup.

Now the question is how do I link the two networks so devices on one can see devices on the other but each network only uses its own internet access. For instance, daughter can print a document on business printer. I can transfer daughter a file from the business network.

I was thinking of having one router use one subnet and the other use another subnet but am unclear how I get each router to link the two together. The routers are next two each other so cable link is easy but not sure of the router configuration I need.

Any help gratefully accepted, thanks.

CJ
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
One one of the routers create a new vlan (vlan3) and assign one switch port to this vlan.

VLAN is hardware dependant, so you must get the details in the hardware specific forum (Atheros or Broadcom etc).

Assign the VLAN3 an ip address from the sub-net of the other network.

Connect this port to a lan port on the other router.
Put a static route on the other router.
CJ1045
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much. I will try this shortly and report back. My routers are D-Link DIR-878 currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r44715.
CJ1045
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn, does not seem that the D-Link supports VLAN.

Are there modern routers that support VLAN and DD-WRT? I did see a list but they all seemed to be very old routers.

Thanks
CJ
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, no swconfig, vconfig, brctl commands available via telnet/ssh?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324746

What you are wanting do to will be via command line to configure the new vlan, most likely.
The swconfig / vlans page in the webUI is mostly moot on anything but Broadcom.

EDIT: I'm pretty certain that if OpenWRT supports VLANs on this device, so does DD-WRT.
https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/d-link_dir-878_a1

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 15:23; edited 2 times in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know much about Ralink/Mediatek.

Check if swconfig is present.

Most Atheros, Broadcom and Marvell supports vlan.

Netgear R7800 is the easiest router to set up.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Worst case, if you have a spare router (preferably third-party firmware capable), you could always use it to route between the two networks (that's what a router is for!). The use of VLANs is only a convenience, NOT a necessity.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: