Router recommendations

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
stemmer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 17:59    Post subject: Router recommendations Reply with quote
I am more then pleased since putting DD-WRT onto my Netgear WNR 3500L. Still undecided which upgrade to install next.

I would like to configure another router with DD-WRT for my brother and his wife. They are both non technical and retired. Brother was a diesel mechanic and his wife a administrative assistant.

Any recommnedations for an inexpensive router that is a good candidate for DD-WRT?

Many thanks..
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800 or R9000 are the flagship routers, then cheaper used alternatives are R7500v2 or EA8500.

Prices are inflated right now, for example R7800 should be no more than $170 new.

A cheap router would be Archer A7 v5, but might be better off finding a used router.

Offerup, craigslist, mercari, ebay, amazon blah. Try using less or simpler search terms.

People tend to poorly describe item thanks to marketing terminology, so try other keywords.

Nighthawk X4S AC2600, Nighthawk X10 AD7200, Nighthawk X4 AC2350, Max Stream AC2600
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm always hesitant to make recommendations since users typically do NOT provide sufficient details to make a *proper* recommendation. In this case, what is *inexpensive*? That's highly subjective. And what other features will be *required* but not mentioned? Many less expensive routers are poor performers when it comes to VPNs. Does that matter?

Personally, I use the ASUS RT-AC68U (800-1000GHz processor), which is rather old at this point, but it meets all my current needs (except for the rather meager VPN performance of OpenVPN). You can pick one up used (at least the TM-1900 version from T-Mobile) for $50-60 before shipping on eBay. Most probably come w/ dd-wrt or tomato preinstalled! And then there's the ASUS AC1900, which is similar to the RT-AC68U/TM-1900, but has a 1.4GHz processor, vastly improving the OpenVPN performance. About $120 on Amazon, although recently was available for $90.

Then there's the uber cheap ASUS RT-N12 D1 for about $20-30. But it's only a single radio (2.4GHz), and like the older RT-AC68U, will NOT be a good OpenVPN performer. But if being inexpensive is the primary criteria, it may be sufficient for the right person.

So again, when given scant requirements, it's darn near impossible to know what will make sense for YOU. While you can somewhat protect yourself against routers that have various shortcomings, doing so usually comes at a hefty price ($$).

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
R7800 or R9000 are the flagship routers, then cheaper used alternatives are R7500v2 or EA8500.

Prices are inflated right now, for example R7800 should be no more than $170 new.

A cheap router would be Archer A7 v5, but might be better off finding a used router.

Offerup, craigslist, mercari, ebay, amazon blah. Try using less or simpler search terms.

People tend to poorly describe item thanks to marketing terminology, so try other keywords.

Nighthawk X4S AC2600, Nighthawk X10 AD7200, Nighthawk X4 AC2350, Max Stream AC2600

The Archer A7v5 is quite impressive. Even out of the box, the stock firmware provided a strong and steady signal to the room I was having issues with it , configured as a wireless repeater.
I also picked up a R7500v2.
With some time on my hands , I tested both with DD WRT...
I set both up in Client Mode with Virtual AP's on both bands...The 7500 caused issues as my wife said she lost internet a few times....I switched to the Archer and it ran like a champ....I was surprised that a CPU of 750mhtz out performed a router with 1400 mhtz...later
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which build? R7500v2 outperforms A7v5 and r46130 is certainly a build to avoid; r46166 and 46177 are fine.
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Which build? R7500v2 outperforms A7v5 and r46130 is certainly a build to avoid; r46166 and 46177 are fine.

i used the one from 3/24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: