TP-Link WR940N as access point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mike611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 19:12    Post subject: TP-Link WR940N as access point Reply with quote
Hi, I would like to know if there may be a simple fix for an issue. Over many years, I have used various routers as an access point to extend a WiFi network. Just turn off DHCP, connect ethernet from lan to lan from main router to AP router, use same SSID and password as main router and done. When doing this, the 3 remaining AP router lan plugs have always been available to plug in additional ethernet connected devices and I have always got an Internet connection.

I am now trying a TP-Link WR940N router with DD-wrt firmware. The wireless works fine in AP mode but the ethernet plugs on the DD-wrt router appear dead. They do not provide an Internet connection. I have no idea why unless there is some special setting in DD-wrt to switch the lan ports on or off on an AP setup? Any tips will be greatly appreciated - Thanks, Mike
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
try looking at the Wiki:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

then provide us more information such as which build and mode you are on.
mike611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 22:46    Post subject: Response Reply with quote
Hi, interesting, that is the article I used to set it up. I am in AP mode and the build is 45993

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r45993 std (03/12/21)
Time: 01:55:26 up 55 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
WAN: Disabled

Thanks for the response
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Re: TP-Link WR940N as access point Reply with quote
mike611 wrote:
Hi, I would like to know if there may be a simple fix for an issue.
I am now trying a TP-Link WR940N router with DD-wrt firmware. The wireless works fine in AP mode but the ethernet plugs on the DD-wrt router appear dead.

No not dead, the LAN ports on the switch do not work out of the box without enable vlan on the 4 port switch.

Edit: eth0 did not work for me, only switch0. This worked for my WR 940v3/941v6 router:

-> goto Administration - Commands, enter/copy the 3 following commands into the Commands box:

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

Select "Save Startup" button and reboot device.

You should get internet on all LAN ports and any device should be accessible attached to any LAN port.

Edit: You should not assign the WAN port to LAN, disable WAN with uplink cable attached to a LAN port.
mike611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the input. I will try this solution this evening Smile
mike611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I entered the suggested commands and now the lan ports are working just fine.

Thanks very much for helping me out with this. Much appreciated,

Mike
mike611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, to be honest, I really didn't know enough to do that - not a code guy when it comes to this sort of thing. Thanks for your help. Forums and those helping on them are a godsend for guys like me. Now going to buy another router to load DD wrt and a whole house vpn. Should be an adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: