RE: BrainSlayer: Are you fixing VAPs?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Veole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45    Post subject: RE: BrainSlayer: Are you fixing VAPs? Reply with quote
kernel-panic69
Thank you for locking my thread so I cannot reply:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328462

1. If Broadcom has closed-source proprietary drivers, why do Buffalo sell routers with dd-wrt preinstalled that stop working? That's dd-wrt's fault for not keeping compatibility even with these few routers.

5. YOU feel free to dig into the source code and submit patches. After all dd-wrt is the one selling routers with that firmware preinstalled. I payed for a dd-wrt router and I expect a dd-wrt router to work or at least to be fixed. I don't expect every single router model to be fully supported, but what's the point of having a few officially supported and sold dd-wrt routers if not total compatibility?

4. If It's not a high priority to fix the few routers sold with dd-wrt installed, what is? To have as many broken betas for as many devices as possible? 10 years of broken builds and there is not a single combination of (not 54g) modern router + build perfectly working. Not even the routers sold with dd-wrt preinstalled.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might want to try build 36154. It was the last build where VAPs worked without the work-arounds. I still run it on my hotel repeater where the hotel AP is broadcasting without encryption...but I want encryption on my "private" network.

The newer driver seems to have an issue where the physical interface encryption and the VAP encryption are different. If they are the same...then the workaround seems to work....if different...then its been hit or miss.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Veole:

The below is my email to the developer and his reply:

BrainSlayer wrote:
nothing to fix
Quote:
Apparently, someone doesn't understand the situation with vaps on Broadcom. Is there really anything else that can be done to fix it? I responded and locked the thread, feel free to respond and unlock. I just didn't want it turning into a messy discussion.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328462

/R,

kp69

Please take a look at this page:

https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/airstation-extreme-ac1750-gigabit-dual-band-open-source-dd-wrt-wireless-rou

The listed MFR "supported" version is 30357. If that version does work as you'd like and you're okay with the lack of security patches against many vulnerabilities, then be my guest. Otherwise, accept the fact that the driver issue is nothing anyone but the Broadcom developers has any control over. They have blatantly not offered anything FOSS and maintained proprietary code to their own detriment.

Also, I would think if the DD-WRT shop was selling pre-flashed routers, they would be listed here, but all I see is 3rd party offerings. Perhaps it is the manufacturer that is selling them with a collaboratively-agreed upon version with no extra support. It just seems that you cannot accept the caveats of buying a pre-flashed router and the current state of affairs with vendors and with Broadcom.

Furthermore, Atheros, Ralink and MediaTek is where most of the current focus is (AFAIK), mainly because the drivers and code required to support them is much more readily available as FOSS, *unlike* Broadcom.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Veole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
@Veole:
Please take a look at this page:

https://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/airstation-extreme-ac1750-gigabit-dual-band-open-source-dd-wrt-wireless-rou

The listed MFR "supported" version is 30357. If that version does work as you'd like and you're okay with the lack of security patches against many vulnerabilities, then be my guest.

There is a small problem. I tried that before posting, but I could not find a way to flash any stock firmware (dd-wrt stock or buffalo stock). Not from the web interface and not using "write firmware_file linux" (header error).

I even got the closest (lower) beta build to 30357, flashed it and then tried to upgrade to stock 30357. It does not work. I remember doing it years ago, but something has changed or I'm doing it wrong.

And I'm complaining because VAP is an essential feature even the cheapest routers with almost no configuration options have nowadays. I need it more than security patches or new features I really like but I can live without.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, shooting the messenger does not do any good, either. I personally do not have that particular router, but these might help refresh your memory about how to get it to cooperate and flash:

https://openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-1750dhp

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=783040

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Veole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
You might want to try build 36154. It was the last build where VAPs worked without the work-arounds. I still run it on my hotel repeater where the hotel AP is broadcasting without encryption...but I want encryption on my "private" network.

The newer driver seems to have an issue where the interface encryption and the VAP encryption are different. If they are the same...then the workaround seems to work....if different...then its been hit or miss.

redhawk

36154 does not work for me (using the same encryption for both AP and VAP). I can connect and get DHCP but the client is disconnected after 5 seconds. There is a continuous loop connecting / disconnecting. It's not a new bug for me, I found it years ago.

What workaround works in a current build? I tried everything posted (using the same encryption too).

Thanks.

Moderator note 08.31.21: This was split out of the VAP workaround topic

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327063

This is likely a config issue, but we will never know for sure.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: