Bug with Subnet 100 and Timezone Saskatchewan

ThrownStone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20    Post subject: Bug with Subnet 100 and Timezone Saskatchewan Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have some info to report.

I have a semi reproducible bug that requires a reset of the router. It only happens with time zone "Canada/Saskatchewan" and subnet 100. I have a Asus RT-AC56U and a RT-N13U v1. The bug happens on both routers and all revisions I have tried recently From my current version v3.0-r45859 std (02/27/21) to r38937.

To prepare to reproduce the bug. Unplug the WAN as I usually do. Backup your settings because a factory reset is required reproduce and recover from the bug. The routers seemed to crash faster when they were recently reset to defaults. It's worth trying first though without a reset. Sometimes it happens right away and other times after messing with it for a while you can't get it to crash in a reasonable time. Seems it takes a slightly longer time to crash if the settings are changed from a working state. But this may all be time of day related.

To actually try to reproduce the bug. Log in. Go to the Setup tab. Change your subnet to 100 by Changing your Local IP Address to 192.168.100.1/24 also your Start IP Address to go with it 192.168.100.100 then go to the bottom and set Time Zone to "Canada/Saskatchewan". Press Apply and your browser should usually within seconds or else a few minutes send you to a connection error page. Telnet says connection was closed and router connection lights seem to stop blinking.

If it does not start crash fast enough try changing some settings. I have tried changing the timezone to another unrelated time zone and applied the Saskatchewan one again. Changing the subnet away and back again sometimes works. Also check that the Local IP Address number actually changed as it does not sometimes when changed at the same time as the timezone. Especialy when setting to Saskatchewan.

Other related time zones seem to work fine with subnet 100, as I have been unable to reproduce the bug especially on any of the alternative timezones: etc/GMT+6, Canada/Central, America/Regina. Nor: Any of the Canada/* timezones, etc/GM-6, and all from the top down to Africa/Johannesburg. I've seen random momentary disconnects clicking next on the logs, after changing to other time zones but it immediately recovers.

In the past I've had general router instability and thought I fixed it by flashing again following long preparation procedures and follow though but a change in subnet choice may have been the real fix. For recent updates I have just factory reset, flashed, factory reset again. No unplugging and waiting.

It's easy to simply avoid Subnet 100 but I want to report this issue somewhere useful. Because this bug is kinda flaky, before I bother the big wigs by trying to file a real bug report. Maybe some people can test and tell me if this is as reproducible as I think it is on other hardware in other places.

Maybe it's just my network, maybe it's just DD-WRT weirdness from something obscure like using timeservers from Saskatchewan. Or something I don't do like, proper router Voodoo rituals.

Last edited by ThrownStone on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:02; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can guarantee you that changing it to 192.168.100.1 isn't going to crash it. Your connected client has to get a new IP address in the new subnet and you have to re-access the router with the new IP address you assigned it. #basicnetworking

P.S. I have emailed the developer directly about this. I don't have a way to try and reproduce the issue at the moment.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
crash or are you just unpatient? i mean if its a crash its logged at syslog. but consider that pressing apply will also reinitialize the network on that page. this may lead to connection losses of course

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tested 3 different routers with recent builds and cannot reproduce a 'crash'. The only thing that happens is loss of connection to the router until the new client IP is handed out, which sometimes Windows 10 isn't very cooperative about.

----------------------
ThrownStone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so the big wigs are already here LOL.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
...Your connected client has to get a new IP address in the new subnet and you have to re-access the router...

Also Linux and in my case Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS requires that I click to disable the adapter and enable it again before it connects to the new IP. It was part of my routine while testing.

BrainSlayer wrote:
crash or are you just unpatient? i mean if its a crash its logged at syslog. but consider that pressing apply will also reinitialize the network on that page. this may lead to connection losses of course

Maybe not a crash. Programs report an connection error quickly.

After it happens there is no way to look at the syslog because the router rejects all connections indefinitely. Restarting does not fix. Nor unplugging. I just reset the router by holding down the routers hardware reset button for 5-10 seconds, and start from scratch.

Note just changing the time zone by itself after around 1-5 minutes of subnet 100 working fine triggers it immediately usually. It's very obvious when it happens this way. It does not require a WAN connection happen.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I just tested 3 different routers with recent builds and cannot reproduce a 'crash'. The only thing that happens is loss of connection to the router until the new client IP is handed out, which sometimes Windows 10 isn't very cooperative about.

I could try harder different OSs to make sure the router can't be coaxed into a connection after it happens. I never tried setting the IP manually. Will see if one of my routers will easily do it for me again.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks as if you are not allowing it to retry to connect on it's own. I have Debian 10 & Ubuntu 20.04 LTS here to test it on, but I really don't think either is going to complain about it if I let it re-establish the connection automagically. I'm hesitant to ask what browser is involved and what other software/apps are involved.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ctrl+F'd and cannot find the words save or reboot. Be sure to keep Time Settings Server IP/Name field blank.
ThrownStone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Ctrl+F'd and cannot find the words save or reboot.

I used to save first then apply I would also backup and reboot often. But now that I know subnet 100 and Timezone Saskatchewan are cursed I don't do that as much anymore.

blkt wrote:
Be sure to keep Time Settings Server IP/Name field blank.

I almost always have "Time Settings -> Server IP/Name field" blank when testing. Except when I take my working configuration and try to bug it. It may effect the timing of it but it's not necessary for the bug to happen.

I am though starting to question if my steps to reproduce can cause a permanent bug not just a temporary one. To summarise my testing today, I can only trigger the temporary version of the bug on my RT-N13U v1

I will try the RT-AC56U where I historically had the problems with the web interface refusing entry on a regular basis when left alone. That was months and years ago and I keep on remembering more.

I had been surfing the internet since yesterday on my Asus RT-N13U with subnet 100, and timezone Canada/Saskatchewan.

I had done a religious style reflashing on Firefox browser instead of Brave. Both factory resetting and unplugging for one minute before and after. Essentially I did the setup that usually causes the bug with Firefox this time. Not kicked out of the web interface unexpectedly at all that evening.

Today though was different. First on Brave then after a few tries on Firefox. Testing was a little quicker. Less menu button pressing in between to see if it's responding.

What I did to reproduce a temporary bug first try today.
-Using Brave browser I Factory Reset in the web interface.
-Network adapter on off.
-Set user and password.
-Refresh Brave Browser
-login. Set subnet 100, set starting address subnet 100, Apply.
-Leave it connected to the working internet for three minutes.
-Set NTP timezone to Canada/Saskatchewan, Apply.

Brave browser within about 8 seconds kicks me off the web interface with some connection error. So I wait 20 seconds and resubmit the IP nothing. I keep resubmitting (Not just pressing refresh) about every 10 seconds and on the third time it allow me in. I check the setting and notice that timezone is set back to Europe/Berlin. I've seen this quite a few times now overall.

On this router, the RT-N13U I still need to confirm there is an example of this bug not letting me back in the web interface. It's my other router the Asus RT-AC56U that I suspect sometimes indefinitely keeps me out of the web interface after setting the timezone to Canada/Saskatchewan.

Testing some more, the closest I came to reproducing the bug permanently on my RT-N13U was actually when it failed to factory reset the last time I tried.

Brave Permanently kicked me out of interface but internet is still working through Default route 192.168.100.1 I’ve seen this many times too.

Firefox browsers URL history after the web interfaces factory reset button is pressed.
"http://192.168.100.1/Factory_Defaults.asp"
"http://192.168.100.1/apply.cgi"

Now it wont connect to 192.168.1.1. When 192.168.100.1 is entered. Firefox adds "https://" to the URL and says "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.100.1"
Trying on brave does not show add "https://" it just says "192.168.100.1 refused to connect [ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED]"

I'm just going to leave this router like this for now. I'm moving onto the Asus RT-AC56U to see if my steps to reproduce can really bug it permanently. Maybe it was a separate issue.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, Safari, IE are your friends.

P.S. don't intermingle your internet traffic with DD-WRT webUI and always use private browsing modes with no extensions loaded.

Please ensure you are on the latest release on your test devices as this will help determine if it is a current bug. Thanks!

FWIW, https webUI access is a trick in itself. I have stopped bothering with even trying it.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pale Moon, Waterfox ( Classic 56 or 3rd Gen 78 ), Firefox ESR 78 (select firefox extended support release)
ThrownStone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So on my Asus RT-56U I was able to produce the permanent bug. I used the techniques I already described. I botched my first test results so disregarded most of it. The second set of results I got without resetting first on my working configuration. On my third round here of changing settings to cause the bug it did the permanent version of the bug. Changed to router to 192.168.100.1, Starting Address to 192.168.100.100 and Timezone at the same time. But I had only set it to etc/GMT+6 in preparation and unexpectedly it didn't allow me to log in.

After 20 minutes of waiting and resetting network adapters on my 2 wired computers, no IP address. Ubuntu keeps sending a message "Activation of network connection failed". Windows says nothing but Auto configuration IPv4 Address 169.154.12.244 tells me plenty.
I tried a manual IPv4 connection on Ubuntu, which did not work.

I have 2 network isolated virtual wireless networks with separate DHCP servers so I tried to connect to them wirelessly. They connect and internet works. My smart devices network can also still connect to each other as usual. No point in trying the guest network, so I did. The regular wifi never gets an IP, it just keeps retrying.

I noticed something with the lights of the Ethernet cables. The green lights of ports blink at the exact same time, including computers that are off. Even regular wifi connection attempts make them blink but not network isolated wifi. Though it's a bad configuration, I tried the RT-N13U v1 that has the same router IP. No amber light lit. With a device connected it caused greens to blink in multiples of 3. Moving the LAN ports around the lights blink a bunch independently then gradually only blink together again.

I turned off the router and turned it back on. It didn't work within 3 minutes but after 10 minutes I noticed it was connected. Checked the router settings, they applied fine and I assume it would work if I changed nothing.

I did start from my working configuration. I've determined these other settings make no difference, but in case you are wondering about my other configurations. The reason I was thinking about the bug at all recently was because my Access Control was not working without setting the timezone right. I have a 3 pages of rules blocking websites and keywords from "The industry" and a schedule to block entertainment websites at certain hours. I only got this working once I was able to set the right time. I also needed the right time for DNScrypt to actually verify of all the responses. And I had trouble setting the right timezone because I didn't know if the alternatives were bugged. So that's why I decided to find out. Last thing to mention is the firewall. Impede WAN DoS/Bruteforce settings all on, and in filtering: ActiveX, ARP Spoofing Protection, Multicast, Block WAN SNMP access. Also CAKE, I love cake with Syn Fin and Rst on top.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, Safari, IE are your friends.

P.S. don't intermingle your internet traffic with DD-WRT webUI and always use private browsing modes with no extensions loaded.

Please ensure you are on the latest release on your test devices as this will help determine if it is a current bug. Thanks!

FWIW, https webUI access is a trick in itself. I have stopped bothering with even trying it.

I've been convinced to stick with modern browsers with better isolation for simplicity. My entertainment computers browsers are the ones I consider dirty.

I should start using private mode again. Should also avoid using internet on other tabs in case modern browsers isolation isn't as good as I think it is.

I have not updated "r45859 std (02/27/21)" since I last reported my version. Makes sense now that should update again. Since eyes have been on it.

I do enable https but have not used it recently. Was trying to or maybe did add a certificate to windows once, but thought it silly. My double and now sometimes triple NAT will protect me, LOL not really. All those firewalls though.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uncheck HTTPS under Administration -> Management. Keep only the HTTP box checked. Save and Reboot.

Use a browser linked above.
ThrownStone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Uncheck HTTPS under Administration -> Management. Keep only the HTTP box checked. Save and Reboot.

Use a browser linked above.

I'm now running “Firefox ESR” in private mode now. I will disable https on my saved configurations and skip it whenever I upgrade and put all the settings back in manually. I did 1 revision ago and usually do.

Most of my recent experience of this RT-AC56U bugging was after a factory reset.

I think I would try next to upgrade with TFTP instead of through the web interface and see if that changes anything. Otherwise any bug does not seem too serious and is easy to avoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: