DD-WRT wifi6 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Bensam123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing of what I said was ignorant or entitled. We're all here because 'DDWRT', that's not a unreasonable assertion. It's amazing that a community that was founded around the idea of commercial grade firmware on consumer hardware has luddites running around.

I agree, development effort takes time, especially when it's based around hardware donations. That's why if there was one particular model that's being developed around due to time or donation constraints, I'd purchase that one. At no point did I suggest 'I NEED SUPPORT FOR XYZ', I was asking for really any newer model. Something not five years ago, preferably more features for the time would be preferable (why I was asking about AX models).
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bensam123 wrote:
Nothing of what I said was ignorant or entitled. We're all here because 'DDWRT', that's not a unreasonable assertion. It's amazing that a community that was founded around the idea of commercial grade firmware on consumer hardware has luddites running around.

I am here because a router that was given to me by my late brother-in-law was flashed with DD-WRT, and I like to learn new things just to start on the reasons why I am here. I don't know how you assumed otherwise, but thank you for asking. I won't even begin to address the rest of that nonsense you're spewing.

Bensam123 wrote:
I agree, development effort takes time, especially when it's based around hardware donations. That's why if there was one particular model that's being developed around due to time or donation constraints, I'd purchase that one. At no point did I suggest 'I NEED SUPPORT FOR XYZ', I was asking for really any newer model. Something not five years ago, preferably more features for the time would be preferable (why I was asking about AX models).

Put your money where your mouth is. I can buy all the AD and AX routers out there currently to send to Dresden without blinking. Am I going to do that? No. Feel free to do so if you wish. There is likely a number of reasons why it hasn't happened yet. Most people are not going to spend $3-400 on a router to let someone crack it open and destroy, let alone do it themselves. I could go on and ask why certain hardware (MediaTek, for example) has only 3 devices supported, when the hardware isn't new. But I digress.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Bensam123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alas I didn't know your late brother, god rest his soul. And your manifest destiny coming full circle that brought you to these blighted forums full of entitled kids looking for handouts and not even willing to donate!

In all seriousness, I don't care why you are here, most people come here looking for DDWRT, not you (including yourself). I don't think it's horrible asking or looking for a version of DDWRT that is made for newer routers.

Yeah weird how you said you wont address anything else then proceed to address everything else. Rhetoric is neat.

I am putting money where my mouth is. I said I'd buy whatever newer hardware is being supported by DDWRT. That's pretty flexible and open. It'd be kind of stupid if DDWRT just fell out of favor because it basically no longer supports recent devices.

Also there are AX routers that aren't $500. Your prices are a bit outdated as well.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wifi-AX1500-Smart-Router/dp/B07ZSDR49S
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh yes, the Walmart model, feel free to enjoy.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_AX1500

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R7800

johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I'll hold off on wifi 6. My router will do 1 Gb on the WAN port (theoretically) and I do have 1 Gb available in my area for $89/month. I don't know if I'll spend the bucks for that. I have 300 Mb service but the ISP is upgrading all existing customers to 500 Mb. That must be the reason why my bill went up $2/month. Anyway, I doubt that I'll need 1 Gb for the foreseeable future. But, I would like to see better processing capability in the router. I suppose I could build a dedicated PC based router. As for a previous post about jitter, my R7800 router has only 1 ms jitter for devices on the LAN while the WLAN has 4-5 ms of jitter. I don't play games but I wonder if that's why my kids complain about lag - too expensive to run cat6 through the walls to every room. A lot of technology issues are a hassle but it keeps me busy - too many things to do and to learn, so little time.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bensam123 wrote:

In all seriousness, I don't care why you are here, most people come here looking for DDWRT, not you (including yourself). I don't think it's horrible asking or looking for a version of DDWRT that is made for newer routers.

I am considering taking donations to port one AX device per month. Or rather, to send BrainSlayer one device per month. Either or, whichever. Between you and another forum user that says I am unwilling to do anything around here, might as well, no? People should keep in mind that even if I shipped devices, it may take months before we see anything since we no longer have the amount of contributors that helped port several devices that are currently supported.

As an aside, it would be totally awesome if we could get people who would just do the homework and submit their patches to port the firmware, but I understand not everyone's skillset will allow this. It also does not help that we only see certain fruitions of BrainSlayer's work only every so often publicly. That in itself has been the main challenge of porting anything MediaTek, but I digress.

DISCLAIMER: I may change my mind at any time, however. Or, I may end up pushing up tulips, whichever. I do what I can when I can and while I can until Valhalla.

----------------------
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my opinion the Asus rt-ac5300 is still the best ddwrt router for throughput and range. Agree wifi 6 is a gimmick. If I want to be that close to office I'll plug into the switch.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding me how rude I can be. @Bensam123, I sincerely apologize for being so abrasive. But to reiterate:

https://dd-wrt.com/donations/

https://dd-wrt.com/router-detection/

Since we're only a single-official-developer show here, we need folks to pony up in money, hardware, and homework. Ain't nobody gettin' nothin' fo' free in this town.

----------------------
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wifi 6, afaict, is a total waste of money over a wifi 5 wave 2 device that will do everything the same. Wifi 6 standards are a total train wreck right now and very few routers officially support the standards the right way. Just take a peek at small net builders and read some of the commentary about OFDM...it's a total mess and lackluster support. Not to mention that no client devices outside 3-ish Intel cards somewhat support any of the new standards....oh and then the whole forced win10 experience to run any of that AX stuff....

nope...all too immature to waste your time and hard earned cash on...

maybe in 3-5 years Wifi 6e will be mature enough to yield the results that wifi 6 can't.

wifi 6 is another attempt to sell more hardware for the sake of profit, just like the latest $1000+ cell phone that barely does anything better...don't even get me started on 5G for cells....also a pocket lining ploy for QCA.... Rolling Eyes

BS is smart and knows that wifi 6 is a waste of time (my words), right now with the crappy 802.11 standards and crap drivers for AX. I'm sure Netgear has sent him stuff to play with...none of it's mature enough to yield anything fruitful...otherwise we would have it already. BS wants stability, hard as it seems sometimes, when it comes to a build...so things are not ready.

Kong said a long time ago in a PM that he's not anticipating anything new/cool/useful for wifi for many years to come. That was 2 years ago... seems like he knew what he was saying as evidenced by the lack of any real solid developments from any of the 3rd party firmware folks for wifi 6.

What I know about wifi is that it's all black magic as is...getting things to go faster is as much dark art as it is science....we're going to be here for a while folks....never buy 1st gen anything when it comes to wireless anything....unless you have a hobby and cash on hand....

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
lgkahn wrote:
In my opinion the Asus rt-ac5300 is still the best ddwrt router for throughput and range.

maybe for a broadcom router ...I dunno I don't have one

then again, you haven't ever used an EA8500 ...I'll still put it against any router for throughput and range Razz
d-b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any updates on this question? Are there are any routers with modern HW and AX support that are supported by DD-WRT? I have a Netgear RAX200 but I am sick of its limited default firmware and would like to either install a third party FW or buy a new device.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
RAX200 is Broadcom, so no. RAX120 is Atheros maybe in the future, maybe not.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
This isn't going to turn into a thread bump fest.

Announcement: 802.11 AX Supported routers- W.I.P.

Sticky: AX Router support for BCM

List Of 802.11ax Hardware (Wikidevi)

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: