New Build - 01/24/2021 - r45563

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 13:21    Post subject: New Build - 01/24/2021 - r45563 Reply with quote
[WARNING]: This thread is only for feedback on this beta release for developers and the community's benefit.
DO NOT flash this beta release unless you understand the risks involved and specific device recovery methods.
Avoid discussions! Create threads for questions, general problems or use search; this thread is not for support.
Please list router model & revision, operating & wireless mode(s) and exact filename/firmware image flashed.

Downloads: (DD-WRT website) HTTPS & FTP (try another if a link does not work)

CLI Flash: 'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (or 'curl -k {file URL} -o {file}') with http (not https) or ftp. Then 'write {file} linux'.

Repository: Trac SVN changelog since last build r45493 (GitHub mirror)

Notes:
OpenVPN version 2.5.0 and Guides
WireGuard 1.0.20200908/Tools: Guides, PBR, Kill Switch, Inbound Firewall, Naming of Peers, Status, Key. Thanks BS & egc!
• CVE-2019-14899 VPN fix (applicability depends on VPN setup) and GUI toggle since r41813.
In-kernel Samba (ksmbd 3.3.3) implemented over the past year and default min/max versions changed, with WSD support.
• DHCP and DNS help (English) updated in 43083; ref: #7091
• Dnsmasq version 2.83 update with r45563 (prerelease since r45036).
• Support added for Netgear R6800, R6850, R6260, R6350, R6220 and WNDR3700v5.

Issues:
• There may be remaining issues for Samba.

Important:
• For issues provide applicable info: 'dmesg', 'cat /tmp/var/log/messages', syslog, klog, serial, strace, tcpdump, wireshark etc.
• Any firewall NAT or WAN issues, show output: 'iptables -vnL', 'iptables -t nat -vnL', 'iptables -t mangle -vnL' and /tmp/.ipt file.
• Search SVN tickets & discuss in forum before opening. Before reporting: reset & manually set up, not restore from a backup.
• Please include operating & wireless modes (e.g. Gateway, Router, AP, CB, WDS, Mesh) & relevant configuration information.

Example Template:
Code:
[b]Router/Version: [/b]
[b]File/Kernel: [/b]
[b]Previous/Reset: [/b]
[b]Mode/Status: [/b]
[b]Issues/Errors: [/b]
Sponsor
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7200 (same as R6800)
File used r45563:r6800-webflash.bin installed via DDwrt web gui from r45542

Installed firmware and setup router yesterday. My configuration is using the router to share a cell phone hotspot as an internet connection. R7200 5Ghz radio configured as client to android cell phone. 2.4Ghz radio configured as AP supporting around 10 wifi and a few wired clients.

Setting up the unit I had trouble setting up static addresses. I could enter the mac, ip and name, but when I used the 'add' button it added a new blank line but also blanked all the data on the line I was trying to add. If I tried to 'apply settings' again I got a popup saying 'is already defined as a static lease' which implies that the data is being saved just not displayed. Hoping it was just an interface issue I continued adding static entries, and ended up with the gui showing a table with the correct number of lines, but not showing the data. Unfotunately it does not seem to be working as the mac addresses I added are all getting ip addresses in the standard DHCP range instead of the reserved ones.

This morning I was going to try to study the issue more, but ran into issues trying to access the router. When I tried the web interface it loaded the standard 'status' page, but would not allow me to select other tabs and log in. After several minutes I switched back to that tab and at some point it had eventually gotten to the log in box. After logging in it is showing the CPU load average as 100% which may explain the long delay on the GUI.

Realizing the syslogd was not enabled today I went to the services tab to enable it, and when I select the 'apply settings' button I get the pop up 'is already defined as a static lease' which is what I got if I tried to apply settings after updating static leases on the same page. I am unable to enable syslogd.

Looking at the system output on the serial port this morning (I did not leave the PC on all night) the only error I am seeing is an 'arp spoofing detected' error that is coming from an ethernet device (tivo) connected via wireless router configured to be a bridge.

Is there any useful data I should try retrieve before I reboot it? At this point I can view the output of the serial port, but the router is no longer allowing me to log in via the serial port, so I am not sure what I can get but will try via the gui.

Feel free to ask for more details if needed.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
joelbert wrote:
Netgear R7200 (same as R6800)
File used r45563:r6800-webflash.bin installed via DDwrt web gui from r45542

Installed firmware and setup router yesterday. My configuration is using the router to share a cell phone hotspot as an internet connection. R7200 5Ghz radio configured as client to android cell phone. 2.4Ghz radio configured as AP supporting around 10 wifi and a few wired clients.

Setting up the unit I had trouble setting up static addresses. I could enter the mac, ip and name, but when I used the 'add' button it added a new blank line but also blanked all the data on the line I was trying to add. If I tried to 'apply settings' again I got a popup saying 'is already defined as a static lease' which implies that the data is being saved just not displayed. Hoping it was just an interface issue I continued adding static entries, and ended up with the gui showing a table with the correct number of lines, but not showing the data. Unfotunately it does not seem to be working as the mac addresses I added are all getting ip addresses in the standard DHCP range instead of the reserved ones.

This morning I was going to try to study the issue more, but ran into issues trying to access the router. When I tried the web interface it loaded the standard 'status' page, but would not allow me to select other tabs and log in. After several minutes I switched back to that tab and at some point it had eventually gotten to the log in box. After logging in it is showing the CPU load average as 100% which may explain the long delay on the GUI.

Realizing the syslogd was not enabled today I went to the services tab to enable it, and when I select the 'apply settings' button I get the pop up 'is already defined as a static lease' which is what I got if I tried to apply settings after updating static leases on the same page. I am unable to enable syslogd.

Looking at the system output on the serial port this morning (I did not leave the PC on all night) the only error I am seeing is an 'arp spoofing detected' error that is coming from an ethernet device (tivo) connected via wireless router configured to be a bridge.

Is there any useful data I should try retrieve before I reboot it? At this point I can view the output of the serial port, but the router is no longer allowing me to log in via the serial port, so I am not sure what I can get but will try via the gui.

Feel free to ask for more details if needed.

if you define static leases. ensure that all data is correct including the name field. (no spaces for the name)
otherwise you get such problems with blank field.
so type in mac, hostname, ip and leases. and all will work
and yes. usually press add until you have the fields required before entering. or press save in between. i have to rework this table to make it better. but it has no big priority now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer Thanks for the response and all the work.

I removed all of the lines in the static lease table, saved without any error, and then refilled the table easily with the browser's autofill. For whatever reason this time I could see all of the data in the fields, so it was easy to spot the one typo in an ip.

Rebooted and everything seemed to be good. The static IPs were working, I started writing this note,to say everything is good, and then the router locked up, stopped routing traffic, non- responsive to web gui or serial terminal. I cycled power and the router has been up and stable since.

Attached is the serial output starting from the reboot after I filled out the static lease table. There are three boot sequences in the file, the first I initiated after updating the static lease table. The second one I initiated 20-30 minutes later to recover from a complete freeze. The third boot sequence happened spontaneously after the second apparently in response to a kernel panic-not synching. Watching the output of the serial port while working with this the last few days, I have seen this a couple of times where the router takes two tries to boot up and get running.

I don't have syslogs for the incident since that was what I was trying to switch 'on' on the services page, and didn't have a static IP to send the syslog to.

The attached syslog is the final boot.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
there will be a new release with some more corrections. especially the system load was very high in the first version which was caused by the blinking led's. the leds are controlled by a i2c bus which is very slow on that architecture. so i changed the code to keep the leds static if the wifi is on and this affects also the ethernet leds. they will not blink anymore, but just show the link state.

if the incident happens again, try to provide me a serial log of it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right now the LEDs make it the twinklyist router I have ever seen.

Somewhere between 14:00 today and 17:00 I lost access to the web interface. When I checked later, the serial port was dead as well, but it never stopped routing traffic. I logged into the web interface this morning to look at something. Around noon (17:00 log time) I tried, and it would load the info site, but wouldn't respond if tried to select a tab and login. Finally had time to look at it more, and the serial console is frozen too. Rebooted and access is restored.

Attached system log. The 5ghz link to my cellphone sometimes re-authenticates every few minutes, except when I try to troubleshoot it, then it works fine for hours at a time. If I have time when it is acting up I'll do some troubleshooting to see if this is a bug I should report.
joatumas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Dlink DIR-882 A1
File: dlink-dir882-a1-webflash.bin
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r45563 std (01/24/21)
Reset: Yes

Configuration done manually after a complete reset. Acting as the main home wifi router.

This is the first dd-wrt I really installed on this device, so not coming from any previously working version.

Wifi configured as an access point. Only 2.4Ghz active. 5Ghz seemed to be causing random disconnects, specially when under load. I was not able to test is thoroughly yet and deactivating 5Ghz seems to have stopped the disconnects, so no complains about it for now.

The issue I'm encountering is router freezes. Right now they appear to be random, but more often under certain load: Video streaming and two simultaneous online meetings with video. On the freezes the router stopped responding completely: no routing, no ssh, http, ping...
After restart it looks like no logs are persisted in the router.

I'm not sure on how to provide all the information needed. For now I activated syslogd, klogd and configured a remote server in the same network that is recording their output.
But I guess if the issue is with a kernel freeze this won't be enough? Should I activate any further logging? Attach some storage to save the logs?

I saw r45592 and r45632 are out and the changelog has some potential fixes. I will install the latest release, but in the meantime would anyone please indicate on how to configure the gathering of information in case the freeze appears again? (in case the remote syslogd and klogd are not enough)

Thanks!
moey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Netgear R6260
File: r6260-webflash.bin
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r45592 (01/28/21)
Reset: Yes

Hello, this is quite frustrating so I will try to explain my issues.

I am using the router just as a means to VPN my entire network using WireGuard protocol. Firmware (DD-WRT v3.0-r45592 (01/28/21)) seems to be the most stable although I do not have WiFi on this firmware (not too important as there is a separate mesh). After about two weeks the settings reset and I have to set up again. I have tried all Other firmware versions above this and although I then have WiFi, everytime the router reboots all settings are lost.

I cannot provide any logs as post restart, it is fully reset and everything has to be set up again. It is worth noting that every time I have set up, I have done this manually and not restored from a backup file (gets quite annoying as having to set static IP's etc). I did on each of the firmware versions available attempt to backup and restore but that just reset the firmware again.

When the stock firmware is loaded everything stays as it should without issue.

If there is anything further I can provide, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: