Asus RT-AC5300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all. Problem solved.

I used a windows machine with ASUS recovery firmware tool and everything wen smoothly.

On DD-WRT now!
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice one. For future reference in case someone stumbles upon this thread, was it 2.1.0.2?

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.2 - 2018/07/23
OS support: Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10
Firmware Restoration is used on an ASUS Wireless Router that failed during its firmware upgrading process.
It uploads the firmware that you specify.

Version 2.1.0.2: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/4G-AC53U/Rescue_2102.zip

Version 2.0.0.0: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC5300/Rescue_RT_AC5300_2000.zip
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Nice one. For future reference in case someone stumbles upon this thread, was it 2.1.0.2?

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.2 - 2018/07/23
OS support: Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10
Firmware Restoration is used on an ASUS Wireless Router that failed during its firmware upgrading process.
It uploads the firmware that you specify.

Version 2.1.0.2: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/4G-AC53U/Rescue_2102.zip

Yes, that is correct. It was Firmware Restoration Tool v2.1.0.2
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 13:23    Post subject: Configuration Reply with quote
Hi all again,

I have been playing for about a night with the dd-wrt firmware r45767 on asus rt-AC5300 (mine is the HK versione but I think there is no difference in hardware).

DD-WRT works fine and is an amazing firmware, however, I cannot get to the same wireless throughput performance with comparison to stock FW.

In specific:
- I cannot select the 160 band (I understand this band might be unstable but it is really not possible to select it on either 5g interfaces).
- regardless of the channel width, 5g interface 1 (wl1) has always at least one channel selection mode more than 5g interface 2 (wl2)
- I cannot select DFS channels (e.g. 100)
- I see very little channel options even though I applied "nvram set brcm_unlock=1" workaround (not sure if that is right for this model)

The router is now operating as AP in Router mode, with WAN disabled and bridged to LAN switch. While connected to a LAN port I get ~830mbps - so, all good here.

However, while connected to the on 5g wifi, I'm hardly making more than 300mbps (very unstable peaks at 400) but with stock FW I was making 530-620 mbps while connected to a 5g station on DFS 100.

I'm currently using these settings https://support.flashrouters.com/setup-guides/wifi-setup/asus-rt-ac5300-dd-wrt-wifi-settings/ and default advanced values.

Can you help troubleshoot or suggest a solution for this?

On a separate note, I'm trying to configure two separate vaps (for guest and iot devices). and keep all connection separate by tagging 3 separate bridges with VLANs provided by a separate gateway. Do you have a suggestion for a similar configurations? I'm currently setting everything up via networking tabs.

Thanks a lot in advance!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Channel width determines how many available channels there are to select from. The unlock workaround does work in a sense, but you are still limited by channel width selection, if I am not mistaken. I don't have one of these to tinker with, but if you haven't read through the wi-fi settings sticky/wikis, you should.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Channel width determines how many available channels there are to select from. The unlock workaround does work in a sense, but you are still limited by channel width selection, if I am not mistaken. I don't have one of these to tinker with, but if you haven't read through the wi-fi settings sticky/wikis, you should.

Thank you - I've checked the docs but I find the wiki documentation somehow lacking, especially then it comes down to specific features of the AC1300 (such as NitroQAM or MIMO / beam forming - something which Asus really brags about). All these settings are not documented neither in the basic nor advanced wl setup.

Now, I'm not sure of this is the reason of the 100mbps less throughput with respect to stock (it actually might simply be the use of a unclean channel) but still dd-wrt is not performing as well -> 20% less wl throughput.

The most cumbersome part is not being able to set the 5g wl interface onto DFS channel 100 which was working magically in stock firmware. DD-WRT simply does not allow you to pick any DFS channel, even if the wiki reports it should.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE: not even manually setting the channel via terminal works with
Code:
nvram set wl2_channel=100
nvram commit
reboot

The interface is brought back to channel 149 as if it was set to Auto
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is an order in which you have to set the channels, also, in the webUI:

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
It's not broken, it's by design.

1) set the Channel Width and Save.
2) Set the Extension Channel UU, LL or UL and save
3) The channel list will now show legal channels with the settings 1-2. Select channel and apply.

This is just not a user friendly UI design. To have the page dynamically update, js and Ajax calls must be implemented.

----------------------
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
There is an order in which you have to set the channels, also, in the webUI:

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
It's not broken, it's by design.

1) set the Channel Width and Save.
2) Set the Extension Channel UU, LL or UL and save
3) The channel list will now show legal channels with the settings 1-2. Select channel and apply.

This is just not a user friendly UI design. To have the page dynamically update, js and Ajax calls must be implemented.

Thank you.

However, I'm afraid the issue is slightly different. I can work on how the webUI is made. I could even work via terminal if that simplify things.

My issue is that while setting the country at EUROPE and channel width at 80, no matter the selection of the extension channel, I cannot select channel 100.

The only options I'm presented with the different combination are 149 153 157 161.

But the rt-ac5300 can work on channel 100 with the wl2 interface. I used to do it with stock firmware (country Europe as well) and was performing much better than in terms of speed. This is why I would like to set this channel also now on dd-wrt.

FYI

Code:
Router Namedd-wrt-ap
Router ModelAsus RT-AC5300
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r45767 std (02/17/21)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.257 #2068 SMP Wed Feb 17 11:31:03 +06 2021 armv7l

I've extensively read the wiki but I could not find any guidance for this issue - not even on Google.

Any hint on a solution would be appreciated?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because that channel will only allow 20MHz width.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/wireless-lan/wlan-frequency-bands-channels/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

----------------------
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Because that channel will only allow 20MHz width.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/wireless-lan/wlan-frequency-bands-channels/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

I'm believe this is just a matter of convention: DFS 100 (80 hz), I believe it is commonly referred as the 80mhz band centered on ch106, but with control frequency on ch100.

In any case, with stock firmware (and 5g on auto) I was able to connect onto 5g station on ch DFS 100 (80mhz) and achieving the higher speed.

Furthermore the router doesn't allow me to pick ANY DFS frequency to chose form. Thus I believe the issue could lay in the FW.

Thank you.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want 80MHz channel width, choose channel 106, if it's available....

----------------------
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you want 80MHz channel width, choose channel 106, if it's available....

Thanks kernel-panic69 but this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I cannot select and do not see either of the 100-148 channels.

Could there be something wrong with the wl interface driver/fw? I've already applied the nvram fix for Broadcom.

See here it here.

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.41 KB
 Viewed:  5813 Time(s)

1.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try any other network modes besides AC-Only? That is probably where you're running into obstacles...

----------------------
alexanderxc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you try any other network modes besides AC-Only? That is probably where you're running into obstacles...

Thanks. This seems to have improved the situation. It is strange though, technically using AC only and being testing with a single device (MacBook Pro) AC-only should actually leads more better results, no?

Anyway the main issue still persists.

ISSUE 1:
Regardless of the regulatory domain I cannot set the radio to ANY of the following channels: 64 (U-NII-2), 100 ~ 144 (U-NII-2e)

This channel block simply cannot be selected in the GUI and never shows up.

But on stock firmware I was running precisely on channel 100.

ISSUE 2:

I still cannot get to the same speed as the stock firmware - possibly because on a "disturbed" channel given the few options - see above. Als,o there is few documentation on how to fine tune the setting connection and which are the suggested values for the following settings:

Code:
NitroQAM (QAM1024) support Enabled
Explicit Beamforming Enabled
Implicit Beamforming Enabled
Multi User Beamforming Enabled
Airtime Fairness Disabled
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing)(Default: 500 meters) 500
Multicast To Unicast Disabled

The above is my current setting. Is there a better one or a link to better understand how to setup it.

Thanks a lot in advance.
itwontbewe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
was this the command you ran

nvram set brcm_unlock=1
nvram commit
reboot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: