DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to agree with everyone, but that is confusing labeling.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT on i7. This thing is screaming overkill.

Now you just need to buy several HDD's in the 4TB range and use it as a NAS to put all that ram to use.

If you want WIFI on this I read its best to use the Atheros Based cards. Also you will need to purchase another license since the license is based on your network card's MAC addresses.

Even 2GB is overkill if your not going to do this. I ran the 32Bit version on a Pentium 3 at 1GHz with 256mb ram and it never used more than that. The NAS was horrendous on it since it did not have the features for fast file transfers. Like USB 2.0 and SATA. But this was back when the internet speeds were under 50Mbps.
cml750
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:
DD-WRT on i7. This thing is screaming overkill.

Now you just need to buy several HDD's in the 4TB range and use it as a NAS to put all that ram to use.

If you want WIFI on this I read its best to use the Atheros Based cards. Also you will need to purchase another license since the license is based on your network card's MAC addresses.

Even 2GB is overkill if your not going to do this. I ran the 32Bit version on a Pentium 3 at 1GHz with 256mb ram and it never used more than that. The NAS was horrendous on it since it did not have the features for fast file transfers. Like USB 2.0 and SATA. But this was back when the internet speeds were under 50Mbps.

Yea an i7 is overkill but the computer was an extra one I had that I was not using for anything other than basically collecting dust. At one time I had it in one of my entertainment areas for streaming purposes until I purchased smart TV's which eliminated my need for it. I had been wanting to give DDWRT X86 a try and chose this computer since I was not using it and it is not very big. I am using both an R7000 and R7800 connected via wired connections on opposite ends of my house as access points. I had already ran cat6 ethernet cable throughout my house a few years back so I do not really need the computer running X86_64 to have wifi. One of these days I will pick up a wifi card for it if I find a good deal just to play with it.

Netgear WNDR 3400 (DDWRT r55630)
Netgear DGND 3700 (with OpenWRT)
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you thought about adding some large SATA disks and using the NAS or MINI DLNA features? The i7 can handle it perfectly. I am currently doing this with a Q9550 which is much older than any i7's.

That right there will put all that extra RAM to good use.

Just acting as a gateway right now it will never use over 1GB ram.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: