Ethernet connection advice to DD-WRT router

Billingd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 21:25    Post subject: Ethernet connection advice to DD-WRT router Reply with quote
Hi
I need to update the configuration of my DD-WRT router ( a D-Link). Usual process is to connect an Ethernet cable to the router from my laptop and visit the following ip address in my browser 192.168.0.2. But it just will not connect. All I get is an “unable to connect” from my Firefox browser. I’ve also tried 192.168.1.1. I’m using a Linux mint laptop. Not had a problem using Ubuntu based system before. I’m just wondering if someone can help me analyse why it’s not working. Maybe I’m using the wrong ip address? How do I find the correct one?

Many thanks

David
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the client reporting that it is connected, even if you don't know the assigned IP?

Normally the client will use DHCP to get configured, and on Ubuntu you should be able to go to the Network settings app (using 20.04, it's the gear icon to the right of the On/Off switch) and see how the client is configured. Normally the reported "Default Route" is the same IP that's required to reach the router's GUI.
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 0:14    Post subject: Re: Ethernet connection advice to DD-WRT router Reply with quote
Billingd wrote:
Maybe I’m using the wrong ip address? How do I find the correct one?

If you connect a cable to one of the LAN ports, and your laptop is configured as "automatic IP" (dchp), if you open a terminal an type
Code:
ifconfig
you will find your gateway IP address, which should be your router. Then point your browser, let's say http://192.168.1.1 or whatever your gsteway is.

A longer way around would it be factury reset your router (and configure everything again).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: