Netgear R7000 now slow (used to be really OK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jobst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 0:42    Post subject: Netgear R7000 now slow (used to be really OK) Reply with quote
Read all announcements, read all sticky topics.
Upgraded R7000 to 44715 std r7000-webflash.bin
Adjusted all settings as "BCM Best Wifi Settings"

The router runs in AP mode, has only minimal services running, not reponsible for DHCP (linux gateway does this), it's really only used for WIFI traffic, so phones and some other IoT's can access the Internet.

My Internet connection is NBN 100/40 (AUS)
speedtest.net on my computer yields 100Mbs/38Mbs/17ms
Running the speedtest in the webinterface of R7000 router yields 35Mbs

The R7000 router and the computer are connected to the SAME switch which is connected to the gateway.

Now if I do a speedtest on my PHONE (pixel 4a) when connected to the WIFI I get 3Mbs download/upload, which is considering my Internet connection a terrible outcome. This used to be ok, like easy in the 30's ...

I am struggling to find the reason for lack of WIFI speed.
I have no idea what could have caused the degration.

Questions:

Why is there only 1 value displayed and not upload/download in the speedtest on the router?

Is the value displayed the upload value?

What I could try/check to get the R7000 back to it's old speeds on my network?
Sponsor
CanadaMoose
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you reset to factory after the firmware update? If not, try that first and reenter the settings (do not restore a backup of settings from another firmware version).
Did you try to go back to the previous firmware?
What was the previous firmware version?

We'll need details of your wifi settings to comment.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm if your router is in WAP mode https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
and your WI-FI settings are optimal...than its up to your clients...not bad idea to update to the last builds...
do not use auto channel use fixed channel, and select mixed mode for 2,4Ghz and mixed or AC/N mixed for 5Ghz
Do keep in mind R7000 is a Broadcom device and its WiFi drivers are proprietary to Broadcom so DDWRT has nothing to do and help you with WiFi clients incompatibility...
best bet if you are running just a WAP and all routing firewalling and NAT is done somewhere else...you can try an old DDWRT R7000 firmware where those WiFi drivers ware more stable kind of...

Despite im not using WiFi on my R7000, on update i turn it on, to test it and i've no problems with WiFi clients compatibility so far...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mache
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem.

See this posting:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1225959&highlight=#1225959
jobst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the problem.
It came from a source I did not expect!

I have a rather big SONOS system, some speakers use WIFI, some use ethernet. Whenever there is easy access to a switch/RJ45 speakers use that, if there is NO switch near by or no RJ45 speakers use (SONOS) WIFI (subnet).

SONOS uses it's own WIFI subnet through a thing called "BOOST", some speakers can become a subnet BOOST themselves <- this IS important.

The R7000 is at the most central location of our house. I have a speaker attached to the modem (ethernet port), as well as the "BOOST" (ethernet port) due to the central location and easy access to the ethernet port.

The problem was: the TX of the (WAN) cable of the modem was broken that connects the modem to the central 1GB switch. There are other SONOS speakers connected to this swtich, too (this is important).

What happened the R7000 connected speaker then provided access to the Internet through the SONOS WIFI subnet through another speaker in another room BUT connected to the central swtich.

Yes, you read this correctly!

I took the speaker cable connected to the R7000 out, no connection. I connected the speaker cable back to the R7000, connection to the Internet!

Since this WIFI subnet isn't that fast I couldnt get more than 3 Mb/s, but it WAS connected.

I fixed the dead TX connector of the (WAN) connection of the modem and all back to normal - full blown speed.

The attached image shows my issue:
The connection between the R7000 and the central switch was broken, the two speakers with the marked "SONOS NET" kept the connection going ...

One of the weirdest bugs I have ever solved.
Who would have thought?

PXL_20210203_021427349.jpg
 Description:
image explaining the SONOS network
 Filesize:  41.55 KB
 Viewed:  1279 Time(s)

PXL_20210203_021427349.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: