Ethernet and WiFi NIC Questions

abeaty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:04    Post subject: Ethernet and WiFi NIC Questions Reply with quote
What is the benefit of having one NIC for 2.4 GHz and a separate one for 5 GHz? Is this really necessary?

Also what is the minimum number of Ethernet NICs I need for an Access Point?

Thanks.
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:57    Post subject: Re: Ethernet and WiFi NIC Questions Reply with quote
abeaty wrote:
What is the benefit of having one NIC for 2.4 GHz and a separate one for 5 GHz? Is this really necessary?

Also what is the minimum number of Ethernet NICs I need for an Access Point?

Thanks.

There is no point using a PC as an AP with two wifi cards.
The pc would be better suited if your using it as the gateway with DHCP and firewall turned on and managing your connections to a cable modem or DSL modem or fiber modem.

Its cheaper to buy a Netgear AC1450 Dual band router and put DD-WRT on it. That way you have an lower power consumption AP with dual band radio's that does 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

The Netgear AC1450 has a dual core processor at 800MHz with 256mb of ram and 128mb flash memory. Has two USB ports one is 3.0 and the other is 2.0. Plenty of horse power for AP mode which is what I got two them at house in that configuration and works very well. They are under $35 on ebay for those.

The reason why on using two wifi cards for 2.4 and 5GHz is because the radio can only operate in 1 mode. It can't do both at the same time. That is why routers with dual band or tri band have 2 or 3 radio's in them. Each one does its own band.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
so my r7800 just manages 1Gbit WLAN <-> LAN throughput with 100% CPU load and a bad latency

it has probably noticed 2x1,7Ghz

an x86 manages 1Gbit with a few percent CPU load and a top latency
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: