For my own reference when looking back.
I've set the clock to 1200,800 & rebooted it just to see.
A speed test from the router page gives 45.13 Mb/s internet and 174.87 Mb/s Wifi.
An ookla speedtest from a pc on the lan but going through powerline adapters to another room and a mikrotik gigabit switch it gets 184.25 Mbps Download, 77.54 Mbps Upload.
I need to reset clock back to stock and then do the firmware reset & reconfigure before starting again.
I am up and running again. After I reset to firmware and reentered all my setup settings and after the dnsmasq part, I ended up with no internet from lan or wireless. I thought I had a routing problem and ended up breaking the default bridge. Luckily I was able to reset to firmware again and start over. This time I re-ran the stubby installer, I think some symlinks were maybe lost.
Then when back up and running, my tests report these values:
SFE on, laptop wifi 5G:
Download: 114.26 Upload:35.61 ping: 5 ms