Cannot Flash DD-WRT on Archer C9v1 with 2020-11-19 FW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
^thumbs^
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Hopefully the previous post is spot on in what the issue is.

Otherwise, it's possible TP-Link may have "locked down" the firmware from being flashed by a 3rd party firmware.

I don't own this router nor do I follow it on the forums to know what has happened.

The best advice I can offer is to find the oldest possible OEM firware file and flash that onto the router. If that works, then try the factory-to-ddwrt file for first flash on TP-Link's stock gui.

If you are trying tftp flashing, it's best to use a "dumb" (unmanaged) 1gbps switch between the router and your PC so that your network connection stays alive and connects "instantly" to tftp when you power on the C9.

You can apply the same instructions to the C9 and the A7v5 wiki instructions for TFTP server; and, you already know about the filename for recovery...so I have confidence you'll be able to flash dd-wrt onto the router.

Thanks for you attempt to help. The latest 11/2020 firmware as I said, is different from anything previous. There is no error number, and it just shows file error. I cannot even downgrade to older stock firmware. Yes I tried TFTP. No I don't have the tools for USB or serial or solder.

I guess I am out of options except to live with stock firmware.
Sponsor
AlphaCJ44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I cannot even downgrade to older stock firmware.

Well, i have recently heard somewhere, according to the new FCC regulations, you can't install third party firmware on your device and only the manufacturer can provide the same to the customer. The restriction includes downgrading to an older version of the firmware(which will disable that restriction obviously).

The only thing you can do is flash dd-wrt via programmer or live with current firmware.

These days you don't even need to unsolder the chip from the board, there's a special adapter clip comes along the programmer which does the job perfectly.

TBH, I'm not sure 100% if the programmer can write to flash. There are plenty of ways to make the flash write protected. But that is rare. The worst could happen, you will fail to write any data on the flash, in other words, you won't be able to erase existing data on it, meaning you can continue to use current firmware.

Anyway it's your call.
^thumbs^
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Hopefully the previous post is spot on in what the issue is.

Otherwise, it's possible TP-Link may have "locked down" the firmware from being flashed by a 3rd party firmware.

I don't own this router nor do I follow it on the forums to know what has happened.

The best advice I can offer is to find the oldest possible OEM firware file and flash that onto the router. If that works, then try the factory-to-ddwrt file for first flash on TP-Link's stock gui.

If you are trying tftp flashing, it's best to use a "dumb" (unmanaged) 1gbps switch between the router and your PC so that your network connection stays alive and connects "instantly" to tftp when you power on the C9.

You can apply the same instructions to the C9 and the A7v5 wiki instructions for TFTP server; and, you already know about the filename for recovery...so I have confidence you'll be able to flash dd-wrt onto the router.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say since my first post. The problem looks like the newest stock FW changed something to prevent TFTP server upload of openwrt and ddwrt firmwares. Unless someone can help with a new bin to convert from factory to dd-wrt, I am stuck with the stock firmware. I don't have equipment for serial upload.
AlphaCJ44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
The solution was a lot simpler than we thought?
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327844
^thumbs^
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
AlphaCJ44 wrote:
The solution was a lot simpler than we thought?
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327844

Yes, I confirm the solution in the other thread works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: