Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 14:41    Post subject: Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram Reply with quote
I have recently bricked my router (Tenda N3). I have checked its motherboard but I can't tell which pins are for RX, TX and GND. Could somebody please tell me which pins would be them?

Thanks in advance

N3-front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.52 KB
 Viewed:  7977 Time(s)

N3-front.jpg

Last edited by Krush206 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
motherboard back

N3-back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.84 KB
 Viewed:  7976 Time(s)

N3-back.jpg

Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone?
darkkishi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25    Post subject: hi i wait is not too late Reply with quote
here let you a guide how to repair or debrick tenda router http://elrincontecnologicodejose.blogspot.com/2016/01/tutorial-recuperar-de-un-brick-router.html the pinout are those solder point near to the flash rom chip that have marks tp1-9
Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 14:21    Post subject: Re: hi i wait is not too late Reply with quote
darkkishi wrote:
here let you a guide how to repair or debrick tenda router http://elrincontecnologicodejose.blogspot.com/2016/01/tutorial-recuperar-de-un-brick-router.html the pinout are those solder point near to the flash rom chip that have marks tp1-9
This is for another model…
Are you sure it does work for N3? The pins diagram isn't even the same
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks to be for serial recovery, but the pinout isn't very 'exact', however, the header looks the same between both models, perhaps "Tenda-specific", even. I think a serial to USB adapter for normal serial recovery as discussed many times in this forum may work instead of making one like that tutorial does. Would be better if they had included a graphic of the board pinout instead of a picture with wires hooked up to leave people guessing and possibly damaging their router. I did an extensive web search specific to the N3 model and came up short - mainly looking for pinouts.

I did, however find this:

http://www.devttys0.com/2012/11/reverse-engineering-serial-ports/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aedd8SUBgY
Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Looks to be for serial recovery, but the pinout isn't very 'exact', however, the header looks the same between both models, perhaps "Tenda-specific", even. I think a serial to USB adapter for normal serial recovery as discussed many times in this forum may work instead of making one like that tutorial does. Would be better if they had included a graphic of the board pinout instead of a picture with wires hooked up to leave people guessing and possibly damaging their router. I did an extensive web search specific to the N3 model and came up short - mainly looking for pinouts.

I did, however find this:

http://www.devttys0.com/2012/11/reverse-engineering-serial-ports/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aedd8SUBgY
Pretty difficult to find out which pins are RX and TX. I could find only GND (TP2). The other pins shows only 3.3V. I also wonder if it's possible to cancel the bootloader from loading the FW by just grounding the RX pin. I got a USB to TTL converter and a soldering iron but it would be less painful if that's possible, those pinouts are really tiny

EDIT: Actually, it looks like RX may be TP6. The multimeter logs a very low voltage, about 0.1V and 0.2V
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hopefully, you can figure it out, those pictures in the how-to that darkkishi posted may help, if you can trace out things... but, it would've been easier had they made a diagram of the motherboard solder points / header.
Krush206
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Krush206 wrote:
EDIT: Actually, it looks like RX may be TP6. The multimeter logs a very low voltage, about 0.1V and 0.2V
Uh, this is weird, TP6's voltage increases if there is an ethernet cable plugged to the PC. But decreases if isn't plugged
mcast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23    Post subject: Re: Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram Reply with quote
I have a Tenda N3 too and recently I needed to access the serial pin. So these are the pins:

TX: TP2
RX: TP1
GND: There is no negative pin, so I used the antenna ground.

I made some mods to the status leds, so ignore that. Wink

TENDA_N3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  517.56 KB
 Viewed:  3251 Time(s)

TENDA_N3.jpg

mcast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 18:38    Post subject: Re: Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram Reply with quote
I forgot some information:

Speed (Baud rate): 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control: None
deepakjoshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 18:07    Post subject: Re: Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram Reply with quote
[quote="mcast"]

I connected the RX and TX pin as you shown, but not able to get any output when I start the router. I connected to a serial monitor and what I input returns as output and nothing else.
Also I checked if the pins TP1 and TP2 are in continuity but they are not connected to each other. I am unable to figure out the reason why it is happening.

If you have more information on this please share.
mcast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26    Post subject: Re: Tenda N3 serial pinout diagram Reply with quote
[quote="deepakjoshi"]

Did you connect the negative pin (GND)? You can use the antenna shield, the red wire as shown in the picture. If it still doesn't work, try inverting the Tx and Rx. Make sure the processor is the same. Unfortunately I no longer have the router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: