Hardware requirements?

suprnova74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 21:00    Post subject: Hardware requirements? Reply with quote
I bought a netgear RAX75 which I understand will most likely not get support for DD-WRT. When looking for alternatives, I noticed an old Mini-ITX Atom D510 board (4gb ram) that's just been collecting dust which I intended to be built into a NAS but wound up going a different route. I figured it may be a great alternative to make into a DD-WRT firewall/router? Would that be sufficient to handle routing for a 1GB internet connection?

Any constraints as far as cpu with what i could enable? I guess I can install the free version and check performance and go from there, but I didn't see any hardware charts as far as what is necessary for the x86 flavor of DD-WRT.

This will be a LAN only device. I don't envision adding a wifi card to it.
Thanks for any pointers Smile
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is going to depend on what you want to do. The more features and extra computations you add (such as encryption) the more cpu power is needed.

Take a look at:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

notice that most of the devices are not high powered cpus for general routing.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I looked up this board. You are going to need a PCI NIC card. The realtek based ones will work just fine. Make sure its gigabit one.

Then use the x64 version since this CPU is a dual core with 4 threads. The 32bit DD-WRT is limited to 1 core 1 thread from what I remember but its also limited on 3GB or so of RAM. The 64bit dd-wrt will support all the cores and threads and your 4GB ram.

Disable the onboard audio in BIOS.

Boot this system with a small SSD or small SATA HDD. You can do NAS with this unit just fine if you want. It will support 1Gbps speed for sure. Even a old Dual core cpu will do it.
This one will load just fine on that board.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/01-24-2021-r45563/x86_64/dd-wrt_x64-webupgrade_public_vga.bin
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
32 or 64Bit has nothing to do with SMP (Symmetric Multiprocessing)

32Bit systems also support multiple CPU's

64Bit is only needed if you have more than 4GB RAM.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
32 or 64Bit has nothing to do with SMP (Symmetric Multiprocessing)

32Bit systems also support multiple CPU's

64Bit is only needed if you have more than 4GB RAM.

I thought the x86 version was locked down to 1 core on the free version. Which I stopped using 32bit version 6+ years ago.

The 64bit version for some reason had more Intel NIC drivers that worked for me while the x86 version did not.

Unless I was thrown off because the paid full versions of the x86 have SMP in their file names.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: