Project/Mod question: router change pcie card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Cachaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55    Post subject: Project/Mod question: router change pcie card Reply with quote
Hello All, new here. Disregarding cost and as a project for tweaking around: I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v1.1, for which the 5ghz chip/card is not supported. My question is, can I change the wifi card on this router for any other (supported) one, and then flash ddwrt? Or by doing so I need ddwrt specific for the chosen/newly installed card and not the one for the router model?
Sponsor
M95D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually, the firmware image contains just the default driver. For very few routers there are alternative images that contain a different driver. I had an Asus WL-500gP a while ago with a default Broadcom mPCI card. Users usually swapped that card with Atheros, and there is an alternative firmware image for that router containing the Atheros driver instead of Broadcom.

If there is no alternative fw image with the driver you need, create your own DD-WRT image from source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: