New Build - 01/13/2021 - r45420

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
raywan, my long-term-successful wifi settings (on 44048 still) match yours (incl SU beamforming) except for the ack timing, where I was at the default of 2000 for a couple years before the default went to 500, which I use now. When I try calculating and setting a significantly lower value, it sets a maximum wifi range beyond which I cannot connect no matter the signal strength. No problem at all with 500 here though.

You didn't mention mode. NG-Mixed at 40 MHz (Ch 1U, 6L, 6U, or 11L) works great here on 2.4 GHz, as does AC/N-Mixed at 80 MHz (Ch 36UU or 149UU) on 5 GHz.

If anyone has seen problems with these settings in the new builds, please let us all know, since these are pretty common choices that I've seen them mentioned in the forums many times.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those were pbphoto settings from raywan's quote and modes were mentioned under more details below.

I missed the details as well, but IoT smart home automation guarantees headaches on Marvell WRT series.
Argenis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:
Argenis - do you have any Apple devices in your environment?

Yes I do.

Here's my settings if it helps:

Transmit power is 19 (I have this specific router for use only on one floor) and everything else in advanced is default from install:

SD8887 802.11ac disabled but visible on GUI and CLI
OpenVPN enabled, client mode
Port forwarding disabled
DHCP server mode, enabled
DNSCrypt and Validate DNS Replies
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for posting your settings. I upgraded my 1900ACSv1 from 44048 to 45420 last night and did a lot of testing on an iphone and macbook pro. Running speedtests and other apps, usually at the same time on both devices, could trigger the condition within minutes (or sometimes seconds.)

Changing settings under advanced options did not make a difference (SU-beamforming, LPCD, ack settings, protection modes, RTS threshold). I have my BI set to 100 and DTIM set to 2. What did seem to help a lot, but not eliminate the problem, was changing the wireless network mode to "MIXED" on both antennas - I noticed you have that set as well. Maybe I'll play around with this some more.

I also tried configuring the antennas so there was no AC allowed (N-only, NG-mixed). This didn't help. Then I tried configuring them so there was no N allowed (ac-only, BG-mixed) - again no luck. VHT40 channel width did not help either, nor did different channels.

So all I know is setting both antennas to MIXED seem to help, but nothing scientific. I think there was some driver change between 44048 and 44112 that makes it more sensitive to multiple devices talking at the same time in the environment. (44085 performance takes a hit but I could not get it to freeze, 44112 wifi traffic stops)

I'm back to 44048 for now.

Last edited by pbphoto on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36; edited 2 times in total
Argenis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:
Thanks for posting your settings. I upgraded my 1900ACSv1 from 44048 to 45420 last night and did a lot of testing on an iphone and macbook pro. Running speedtests and other apps, usually at the same time on both devices, could trigger the condition within minutes (or sometimes seconds.)

Changing settings under advanced options did not make a difference (SU-beamforming, LPCD, ack settings, protection modes, RTS threshold). I have my BI set to 100 and DTIM set to 2. What did seem to help a lot, but not eliminate the problem, was changing the wireless network mode to "MIXED" on both antennas - I noticed you have that set as well. Maybe I'll play around with this some more.

I also tried configuring the antennas so there was no AC allowed (N-only, NG-mixed). This didn't help. Then I tried configuring them so there was no N allowed (ac-only, BG-mixed) - again no luck. VHT40 channel width did not help either, nor did different channels.

So all I know is setting both antennas to MIXED seem to help, but nothing scientific. I think there was some driver change between 44085 and 44112 that makes it more sensitive to multiple devices talking at the same time in the environment.

I'm back to 44048 for now.

The 3200ACM is extremely auto-friendly. I've had it for years and years, and what it likes is mixed mode with the proper frequency settings (80MHz for 5GHZ antenna, 20MHz on the 2.4GHZ antenna if you have old devices, 20/40 if you don't mind breaking older ones, 40 if you want speed and don't care about devices on that antenna).

I reduce the transmit power as well because blasting doesn't help a lot, and the 5 Ghz atenna does have WMM enabled and Beamforming. The 2.4 Ghz has only WMM enabled.

Outside of that, what fixes issues with odd disconnections 99% of the time after updates is changing the name of the SSID and the password to something else, save and apply, reboot then change it back to what it was, save and apply, reboot.

If you do get an error in that last process, it is either an issue with the build and your router hardware (happens sometimes), or you might need to start from scratch with the configuration on that version.

SD8887 802.11ac disabled but visible on GUI and CLI
OpenVPN enabled, client mode
Port forwarding disabled
DHCP server mode, enabled
DNSCrypt and Validate DNS Replies
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then why does falling back to 44048 fix everything immediately? I get it, there's a lot of tribal knowledge with these things over the years, but I'm thinking like 44048 is where I'll be until I get new routers someday.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try keeping 5 GHz set to Mixed, then set 2.4 GHz to either G-Only or BG-Mixed?

Outside of this, and last post on the first page, not much else to recommend.

Switching between r44048 and current be sure to reset and manually configure from scratch, then save a backup.

Do this for both builds. Painful to do twice if your config is not basic, but afterwards easy to restore clean configs.
oliver44
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I get the following error:
https://superwrt.download/
https://discord.gg/cEKuKbc
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: