Forgot password. Cannot reset router. R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tonynca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09    Post subject: Forgot password. Cannot reset router. R7000 Reply with quote
So I forgot my password. The last time I had access to this device I was forced to create a new password with certain requirements which swayed me into setting a new password.

I tried the 30/30/30 hard reset.
I tried the 30 seconds reset.

I cannot get this thing to reset to default settings. I'm pretty sure I didn't disable the reset button in DDWRT unless this was on by default.

Please help. Thanks.
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
When resetting the R7000 you should only need to hold reset in for 7-10 seconds and your power light should start to flash you can then release.
You should not use the 30-30-30 it has been written many times in this forum it can damage your device, although i have used myself as last resort.
you can always connect a serial ttl cable and ctrl c to break in to CFE then enter command "nvram erase".
SSH or telnet as far as i am aware is no good to you without the password.
hope this helps, interested to see if you have any other options posted.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
tonynca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do I use to break into the router using the breakin CFE method?

Also - does anyone know the password requirements? Character length + symbols? I think I could guess the password if I remember the length and character requirements.
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think there are, mine is set with six being a mixture of uppercase/lower case letters plus some numbers.

Did you try the 7-10 second reset? Unplug it from the mains, leave it for half a minute and then turn it back on and wait until all of the lights are white and then press and hold the reset button with a paperclip until the power light starts flashing and then release and again wait until all the lights are white.

If that doesn't work what does your laptop/pc show when you do a search for available WiFi networks? Does it show your old WiFi networks as available or have some appeared called something like 'dd-wrt-vap'?
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Save buying a serial cable to connect to the mother board if you don't have one (although you should there cheap and if your messing around with 3rd party firmware you'll need one at some point no doubt), you may be able to tftp firmware over. Instruction linked below. just one thing to add, i have to disable my windows firewall and real-time virus scanner while tftp'ing, the tutorial does not suggest this.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
Good luck

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
tonynca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttl cable + cfe break-in + nvram reset command worked

Thanks all. I gave in after trying all sorts of stuff and bought the cable.

Tip: turn on the router first then plug in the GND pin. without doing this the router did not boot and would just hang there with most of the lights on.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tonynca wrote:

Tip: turn on the router first then plug in the GND pin. without doing this the router did not boot and would just hang there with most of the lights on.

when i locked out on my R7000 TFTP worked out of the box...so far i haven't need to use my serial yet again...most of my routers are TFTP capable.. Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tonynca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
tonynca wrote:

when i locked out on my R7000 TFTP worked out of the box...so far i haven't need to use my serial yet again...most of my routers are TFTP capable.. Cool

Lucky you. I tried. No go.

Btw, when I tried TFTP it didn't work because the router's boot process could not be stopped. It's not going to accept firmware update if it's just in the middle of the boot process.

The serial cable gave you the ability to stop the boot process and hijack to run commands.

You were probably able to put the router into recovery mode because your reset button worked but for me, that button was somehow disabled which got me in this mess in the first place.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another thing to keep in mind.

When you do have a working reset button....hold for 7-10 seconds and release. The router will reboot and broadcast only "ddwrt" as an SSID. But...it resets the password back to what is on the factory sticker on the back/bottom of the unit. I just had this the other day when I dirty back-flashed a build (45420==>45000) and it got totally lost. Once reset the password is on the sticker. Then you can reset the password in the dd-wrt gui as normal.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: